Does anybody take flaxseed

Options
Hi I've heard good things about flaxseed. I was wondering if anyone taking it and how and has helped?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I take flaxseed ground with my breakfast ( one Tbsp) a day. I do it for the fiber and Omega 3 nutrition.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I take Omega-3 capsules instead.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended it, so I started using it.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use flaxseed in my morning smoothie.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I add it when I have the calories to spare, which is fairly regularly.

PROTIP: Don't add 4 tbsp of flaxseed meal to your protein shake. You will feel uncontrollably full!
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I add Spectrum ground organic Flax Seed to my oatmeal, to soups, and on top of salads as well as steamed veggies. I feel ground Flax Seed played the primary role in reducing my total cholesterol from over 200 mg/dL to below 145 mg/dL in a year's time. The frequency of my blood tests is every six months, so I have three data points for reference. I think it's pretty awesome stuff and well worth the $6 per bag cost and the added calories.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Its not really about making weight loss easier. If your diet is lacking in nutrition and particularly the good stuff in flaxseeds, then use it. But its nice to use the real seeds rather than it turned into a pill. Be aware though that it does have calories and you have to grind the seeds. I only use 1 tsp and generally put it on my chopped fruit.

What really helps with weight loss is a nutritious diet and especially lots of fruit and vegetables.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use cold pressed flaxseed oil in dressings and in my pancakes. I use it for variety, for keeping the pipes free and clear, and the Omega 3. There is no noticeable difference from using any other oil.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I tried flaxseed oil but when back to fish oil. Now that I am off all grain it would not be an option but a lot of people like it very well.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    A bit with breakfast. For the omega3 and to add a bit of variety. I dont think you would be taking significant enough amounts to think you would get identifiable results from it.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I put some flaxseed in my smoothies or on some yogurt.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I take it every day, but I couldn't describe any noticeable difference. I was just told by a nutritionist that I need to take it because otherwise I don't get enough omega-3, I think it is. It's a fat pill. I'll tell you that much!

For a while there I was mixing ground flaxseed with peanut butter, and it just made it like crunchy peanut butter. It didn't affect the taste.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    After reading that it can help with fibroids, I've started adding ground flaxseed to smoothies, but am not expecting any help for some time, if at all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended it, so I started using it.

I just realized that I didn't answer your question about it helping. If you mean with weight loss, maybe a little because I added when I upped my fiber content significantly and I think that helped a lot with weight loss.

If you mean with cholesterol levels or other health markers, I honestly don't know. They were already fine and they are still fine. Maybe they would have remained fine without the flax, maybe not. I'm sure it didn't hurt.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love it, I take 2000mg of the oil a day and add ground to my shakes and I add full seeds to my yoghurt. Great fibre and I like that it has omega 3, 6, 9.
  • nixology
    nixology Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I take ground flaxseed with my green smoothies for the fibre and omega 3. Initially it was a toss up between chia seeds and flaxseed but chia seeds apparently can have counterinteractions with my medication. So far flaxseed seems to work OK for me
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I put 2 Tbsp. of flaxseed in my Greek yogurt once or sometimes twice a day.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I've been using flaxseed (we call it linseed in the UK) in my smoothies for just over a week, because my nurse recommended it. She stipulated that it didn't matter which type, as long as it wasn't just the oil. I bought Golden Linseed from Amazon as it was much cheaper than buying the milled stuff in the shops, and grind it in my coffee grinder. It's not going to make any difference to my weight loss (I'm logging it, but my body doesn't care where the calories come from for losing weight), but it's full of nutrition and is having the desired effect in the bathroom (sheesh, I really didn't know how to phrase that but hope you understand!).
  • bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed in my smoothies or sometimes just mixed into casseroles. I find it makes me feel really full, sometimes to the point where I don't want to finish my meal (which is actually good because I struggle with feeling full). I also like how it bumps up my protein a bit. The fiber is also a bonus.