Need some exercise advice?!

Options
Hey guys, just struggling on some good workout techniques. I don't go to the gym often as I can't really afford to do that so I do my workouts at home on a day-to-day basis. I do things such as sit-ups, lunges, squats, planking etc... But apart from those I'm finding it difficult to find more exercises. I'm also wanting things that can help tone my lower abdominal muscles, if anybody can help me out I'll be really grateful

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Have you searched for workout DVDs? I like Beachbody workouts. Some are fairly pricey, but generally they have a lot of workouts in the set. There are also a lot of good workouts on YouTube and Netflix.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    don't do sit-ups for one, unless you're training to pass a PFT somewhere...there are far better ways to train your abs and core...maybe go with russian twists.

are you looking primarily to do calisthenic body weight work or what? what are your goals. if you're looking for more body weight work, look at "You are Your Own Gym" or "Convict Conditioning"

also...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/

is a great resource, particularly if you're a beginner.
  • emmawbu
    emmawbu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you searched for workout DVDs? I like Beachbody workouts. Some are fairly pricey, but generally they have a lot of workouts in the set. There are also a lot of good workouts on YouTube and Netflix.

Thanks, will be sure to check out some workout DVDs next time I'm out shopping. I can't seem to fine the ones in netflix though, are they just on the American one?

• emmawbu
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    don't do sit-ups for one, unless you're training to pass a PFT somewhere...there are far better ways to train your abs and core...maybe go with russian twists.

are you looking primarily to do calisthenic body weight work or what? what are your goals. if you're looking for more body weight work, look at "You are Your Own Gym" or "Convict Conditioning"

also...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/

is a great resource, particularly if you're a beginner.

My bad, I thought sit ups were the most efficient :neutral: I'll have to give the Russian twists a go. I'm a beginner as you can probably tell but my goal is mainly to tone up as I've lost a few pounds already based on my diets, I will deffo look at what you've told me, thanks
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    emmawbu wrote: »

Thanks, will be sure to check out some workout DVDs next time I'm out shopping. I can't seem to fine the ones in netflix though, are they just on the American one?

Oh, maybe so. I am American.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    they are not on streaming Netflix anymore. I get DVDs at the library. it's free and I can switch up the routine so I'm not bored

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My physiotherapist had me do an exercise called the "Alphabet" where I would spell my name in the air holding a kettlebell, while standing on one leg. It worked all the little bitty muscles in my core. I don't have a kettlebell at home. I use a milk jug partly filled with water. It's even more fun.

http://kettlebellsworkouts.com/kettlebell-ab-exercises/
  • emmawbu
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My physiotherapist had me do an exercise called the "Alphabet" where I would spell my name in the air holding a kettlebell, while standing on one leg. It worked all the little bitty muscles in my core. I don't have a kettlebell at home. I use a milk jug partly filled with water. It's even more fun.

http://kettlebellsworkouts.com/kettlebell-ab-exercises/

Thanks, will try this :smile: