ab work worth it?

Options
I've been overweight and obese for at least half of my life. I have just recently started eating healthy again and doing t25. Now, my question is..Shaun T has a ab interval CD in t25, would it be worth it for someone like to me to do the ab workouts? Will it burn fat on my midsection? TIA!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If won't burn fat from anywhere in particular and won't burn anything unless it puts you in a caloric deficit or makes it bigger.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    No, it won't specifically burn fat in your midsection. You can't spot reduce.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Only way to burn fat is a calorie deficit. Working muscles in a specific area of the body does not burn fat in that area. Also, you cannot choose what part of your body you lose fat from.
  • carrieross733
    carrieross733 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If won't burn fat from anywhere in particular and won't burn anything unless it puts you in a caloric deficit or makes it bigger.

So basically its not worth it until I lose all the weight and then want to tone up, right?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Agreed!

That doesn't mean it's not worth doing, of course. I don't ever plan to have (or even want) visible abdominal muscles, but it still work them. :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Working out/exercising muscles is never "not worth it"

But no, it's not going to give you washboard abs overnight, regardless of whatever nonsense the promoters of that CD may claim.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    strengthening your core helps with so many other things. Posture, back issues just to name a quick couple. It is totally worth working on your abs!
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Those muscles will get stronger, and you will preserve your lean muscle mass as you lose. So yes its worth it.
  • carrieross733
    carrieross733 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    strengthening your core helps with so many other things. Posture, back issues just to name a quick couple. It is totally worth working on your abs!

Awesome! Thank you :)
  • aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It is totally worth it. And probably beneficial to the program. When your abs are strong, the rest of your body is stronger. You can't do push-ups or pull-ups or squats or dead lifts or most exercises in general without some how involving your abs, whether you realize it or not. Working them individually not only helps with your form while exercising but increases your all over abilities. Not to mention helps in day to day life when you need to balance ect. There are more benefits to ab work then just rock hard six packs.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Nope but it will help burn a few calories if you apply. Eating at a calorie deflict is the only way to lose weight (fat) and a point to remember is there is no way to target life fat will come off where it comes off. The mid section is usually the last place it comes off, i don't know why maybe because there is so much extra there or maybe because most people want to target that area.
    Weight resistance excersises will tax your muscles and help them grow with proper eating habits. You said you've been over weight half your life, a lot of us have time to start living healthier to at least love longer.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It is totally worth it. And probably beneficial to the program. When your abs are strong, the rest of your body is stronger. You can't do push-ups or pull-ups or squats or dead lifts or most exercises in general without some how involving your abs, whether you realize it or not. Working them individually not only helps with your form while exercising but increases your all over abilities. Not to mention helps in day to day life when you need to balance ect. There are more benefits to ab work then just rock hard six packs.

^^This!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Any exercises that work the core are valuable because they lead to mobility and strength for other activities including walking, running, and jumping. Weak core leads to bad back, tight glutes and pronating knees. So it did for me.

Depending how obese you are and how much you lose, you may end up with a flabby belly called a panniculus. I am in my fifties and I have decided to live with it, as the only sure way to get rid of it is surgery.