How can I get rid of my "Muffin Top?" and worried about lose skin

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! It represents hard work, busting old unhealthy habits and staying the course. Feel good about that.

Keep removing body fat. Are you doing any kind of strength training?

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It looks more like you have a belly apron or "panniculus" than what I think of as a muffin top. Lose weight slowly and it may improve. But that skin will have some work to do to retract. YOU'RE YOUNG, IT MIGHT!
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your weight loss! It represents hard work, busting old unhealthy habits and staying the course. Feel good about that.

Keep removing body fat. Are you doing any kind of strength training?

Thank you :)! It sure isn't easy, but it really is worth it. Especially when I see the results! I really am a lot healthier than I use to be and feel better. I am using the elliptical 5 days a week for 60-70 minutes each time. I do strength training 3 times a week for 12 minutes at a time. I know it's not a lot of time, but I really dislike strength training. I find it really boring, but I figure it is better than nothing :) I just started up with strength training again also. How many minutes should I be aiming for if I do it 3 times a week?
  • jenniator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    It looks more like you have a belly apron or "panniculus" than what I think of as a muffin top. Lose weight slowly and it may improve. But that skin will have some work to do to retract. YOU'RE YOUNG, IT MIGHT!

I've actually never heard of a belly apron or panniculus. I will have to look into it. It's strange since I've never seen anyone else have this problem. They just have 1 big stomach, not 2 like me. I am young, so I have that to my advantage. So hopefully it bounces back a bit. :) But how the heck do I get rid of a belly apron or panniculus? Is it just from losing weight or is something causing it? Like how tight jeans cause the muffin top.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out Leslie Sansone "Shortcuts" DVDs - they're about 30 minutes for abs, upper & lower body (each) and she's a good, patient instructor. You need an exercise mat and dumbbells.

Do any strength training exercise until the muscle feels fatigued. So there's no real time limit; just work the muscles until they are tired. When moves become easier, increase the resistance by adding more weight.

You're doing great. Stay focused and you're going to realize your goals.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

I've actually never heard of a belly apron or panniculus. I will have to look into it. It's strange since I've never seen anyone else have this problem. They just have 1 big stomach, not 2 like me. I am young, so I have that to my advantage. So hopefully it bounces back a bit. :) But how the heck do I get rid of a belly apron or panniculus? Is it just from losing weight or is something causing it? Like how tight jeans cause the muffin top.
    It's caused via genetics. Losing weight will help, but if you lose weight too fast the skin won't have time to snap back in.
  • jenniator
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    You might want to check out Leslie Sansone "Shortcuts" DVDs - they're about 30 minutes for abs, upper & lower body (each) and she's a good, patient instructor. You need an exercise mat and dumbbells.

Do any strength training exercise until the muscle feels fatigued. So there's no real time limit; just work the muscles until they are tired. When moves become easier, increase the resistance by adding more weight.

You're doing great. Stay focused and you're going to realize your goals.

Thank you for the DVD recommendation :) I rather train at the gym though since then I can get my work out completed in at one time and I have a membership.

I can't really rely on when my muscle feels fatigued since they are sore and tired after 2 minutes LOL! I have been pumping up the weights when they become easier. Right now I'm at around 25 pounds :D
  • jenniator
    Options

It's caused via genetics. Losing weight will help, but if you lose weight too fast the skin won't have time to snap back in.

It's strange you say it's caused by genetics since there have been several obese/over weight people in my family, but none of them had the problem. My mom is heavier than me and she just has one stomach, what the heck!? I'm glad losing weight will help and I haven't been going too fast :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Loose skin doesn't mean you did anything wrong while you lost weight. It just means that your skin isn't snapping back. It happens.

I'm right there with you, down 90 pounds and grossing out at my gross, excess skin. It would've been nice to have a great body when I was done, but it's not in the cards for me. I will settle for better because I have no other choice, but not loving it.

Kinda sucks.

Ditto.

As for the 'second stomach', well... I lost 80 pounds and still have it a little bit. But I have a lot of loose skin and stretch marks there, and it turns out that leftover fat LOVES lingering in stretch marks folds. And my genes = all the fat in the belly and hips, so I've pretty much given up on it... but I've been maintaining for a year and it's actually slightly better. I actually just looked and realized it's barely noticeable anymore (except if I bend over).

Just keep doing what you're doing and most of it will go away.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Loose skin doesn't mean you did anything wrong while you lost weight. It just means that your skin isn't snapping back. It happens.

I'm right there with you, down 90 pounds and grossing out at my gross, excess skin. It would've been nice to have a great body when I was done, but it's not in the cards for me. I will settle for better because I have no other choice, but not loving it.

Kinda sucks.

Ditto.

As for the 'second stomach', well... I lost 80 pounds and still have it a little bit. But I have a lot of loose skin and stretch marks there, and it turns out that leftover fat LOVES lingering in stretch marks folds. And my genes = all the fat in the belly and hips, so I've pretty much given up on it... but I've been maintaining for a year and it's actually slightly better. I actually just looked and realized it's barely noticeable anymore (except if I bend over).

Just keep doing what you're doing and most of it will go away.

Wow congratulations on losing 80 pounds! That really is amazing :) I'm sorry to hear that you still have some problems. I am happy to hear it has got better though. It really sucks. It just depends on the person. Some people have a lot of problems with lose skin and others not so much.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My stomach looks EXACTLY like yours. Even when I was pregnant, I still had the two stomach thing going on. I will tell you that I lost 100 lbs once and it did go away for the most part, with lots of weight training and core exercises. The only time the loose skin was noticeable was if I was doing a push up, then it would hang down. This time, I'm halfway to my goal, but I've also had two children and I'm in my late 30's since the last time I lost the weight. I expect it to be different this time. I plan to have the excess skin from my stomach removed once I've successfully maintained my goal weight for at least a year. In the meantime, I wear control top undies or spanx, and you can't tell what's going on underneath. Just a suggestion for you. Keep up the amazing work!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Hello, and first of all congratulations on doing a bang up great job so far!

We don't choose where the weight will come off, unfortunately. Also while you are losing weight you might get imbalances which will change after you stop losing weight and your body stabilizes.

You are also young and your skin has a much better probability of bouncing back than someone who is older. With plans for children it makes no sense whatsoever to be considering surgery till you are done having children.

Most of the mothers I've complained to about my own belly, have replied that I am not allowed to complain until I pop a kid in my mid 30's!

The normal weight range is usually substantial, and depending on how much muscle mass you had at the start of your journey the top of the range may or may not be an appropriate ending point. You can always re-evaluate upon reaching that target!

There is no reason to put limits on your strength training. Not only does strength training potentially help you with your skin... but it makes you strong! So if you have the "strength" to do it, just go for it!

I am not going to lie to you and say that loose skin will not be a problem; but, you ARE young so your bounce-back abilities are as good as they can be AND when you have children loose skin may become less of an issue for you as opposed to now when you are trying to "capture" the feeling of a never overweight 22 yo.

All in all: congrats on doing this. And do remember that your health matters more than anything else!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You just have to keep losing weight, that's all. Your belly will get smaller.

If you don't want your shirts to show every roll of fat, put on bigger shirts. Another size or two up and the shirts won't cling to the fat rolls.
  • rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your body type is like mine. I have the 2 stomach thing too. I am also waaaaay heavier than you but I've had it since I was just a little overweight. I worry how it will look once I've hit goal, or close to it.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You have done great, keep up the good work. For what is worth I think that you look great in the picture with the red pants and blue shirt. Everyone carries their weight differently, I have two separate areas of fat on my abdomen (one above my belly button and a larger area below, it is fairly common in women who are pear shaped.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I still have so much fat and weight in my thighs, stomach, and muffin top that I'm worried 46.3 pounds won't be enough of a weight loss to get rid of everything and make them normal.

As they say - you can jump off that bridge when you get to it. Worrying about whether 46 lbs will be enough is pointless at this stage. First things first. Lose the weight. Once that's done, THEN you can assess how things look.

I started at 152 lbs and I'm at 128 now but still have some belly fat and arm fat to get rid off. I'll need to lose another 10 lbs of fat. My skin has shrunk well but I'm still a bit flabby. I haven't been doing a lot of strength training, just cardio (hiking, cycling, walking) but intend to start after I get to my goal of 118. I've come to accept that it may take a full 6 months or so for my body to really shrink up and become more toned/solid/less soft.

For now, focus on what's important and that's to lose the excess fat.
  • jenniator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for your opinion and advice :) It's nice to know some people are going through the same thing as me as well! You guys are right, I shouldn't worry too much until I reach my goal since who knows what will happen then or what I will look like. But it is really hard not to worry, especially when I see so much loss skin starting to appear.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    @jenniator, keep up the good work! Some good advice here.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

This is me I'm at 183 lbs 5'3" and have the same problem with the upper and lower stomach area. I have no butt or hips so many sizes slide right off me. I'm trying to get clothes that compliment my shape and gut but it's hard. I don't care what my weight it I just want the 2 stomachs gone. And then I may worry about the insides of my thighs.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You have had great success....Congrats.

Keep on going till you reach your goal and reassess then, the results may well surprise you...Hopefully. It would be lovely if we could wish away our particular problem areas in a flash but often they are stubborn and the last to go.

I was has similar issues at my highest weight 268 lbs and even as I got closer to goal my stomach protruded far more obviously than my butt or even chest. I essentially had an apple shape when overweight though now I have what I think would be called a slight hourglass/maybe even a ruler (I'm not up on all the terms) now at 110 lbs.

Anyway....it wasn't till the very last pounds were leaving that my tummy did it's stuff and really shrank....it then took at least 1-2 years for the skin to tighten up to where it is now and I'm 52 and started losing weight at 48 so there is always hope....you just have to be extremely patient.

The other issue that posters have mentioned is about the 'apron of skin' effect....this may lessen over time or you may feel that surgery is the answer for you.....like someone else has said the only time that mine is droopy and noticeable is doing planks etc but honestly I think that it won't get any better after all this time. I muscle tearing from 2 pregnancies as well. I don't know if putting on weight can cause the same problems with the underlying muscles but if you have torn the substructure then probably surgery is going to be a valid option.

All the best.