binge eating

Options
Hello, I've always associated binge eating with shoving piles of chocolate, cakes, or fried food down your throat, even tho you were not hungry. Turns out, it can be so much worse. I'm 5'7 and 160 lbs which doesn't seem too bad considering I was 200 lbs about 6 yrs ago. I know I can lose weight. After I had my son, I was so active that I dropped to 132 lbs. My problem is binge eating. I don't binge on sweets, fried food, candy, ect. I binge on anything. Tonight I had my dinner all planned out. I had a low fat swiss cheese sandwich with humus and pickles. Only about 400 calories. Then the cravings, and next thing I know I made myself another sandwich. It can be anything from fruit and veggies, to turkey burgers. Doesn't matter, when i feel the binge coming on, I'm powerless. Help!!!

Replies

• poorxgirlxdiet
    poorxgirlxdiet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I binge eat when I'm feeling bored or if I see somebody else eating. I sometimes feel like a drug addict who needs a fix. I think I'm just going to live without money until my binge eating is undercontrol. It may seem exstream but so is my binge eating.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You need to discover what triggers it. I've gained back 20lb because my binging wasn't controlled. Due to illness I can't exercise just yet, so the over eating really showed. I had counselling and I never realised my eating was attached to emotional things. The need to eat hasn't gone away, but I'm gradually doing it less. Learning not to buy too much "quick" food. Biggest tip for me was to keep hands busy, paint your nails or something so you can't handle the food. It's a really hard road, I'm in no way free from it, but understanding why I was reaching for excessive food helps. I hope you start to gain control. Feel free to add me. Very hard for people to understand unless they feel that compulsion x
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. You are not alone. I find that logging ALL of it sometimes makes me stop. If not I know what damage I have to work on the next day.
  • fitchick256
    fitchick256 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this as well. I am in a good place today, but it's been less than a month since my last binge, which was also on gluten-free energy bars and cereal...hardly exciting stuff.

For me, cutting out carbs really makes a difference in the cravings. Making sure to eat enough at meals is also essential. Also, no matter what, don't purge (try to make up for the binge). I try to take it one day at a time and to get out in the sunshine to manage my mood.

Stress management is huge for me as well. When I become overwhelmed, it's the first thing I think of.
  • Sparks_wife2013
    Sparks_wife2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater as well, I do it out of boredom noisy of the time or just to do it. I find I'm not even hungry when I'm doing it. I feel like I've lost control like after supper I just can't stop myself
  • hufnagej
    hufnagej Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I binge eat when there's free food, such as at my parents' place, at family gatherings, open houses, etc. Sometimes it's so bad that I'll feel physically ill. Like I've force fed myself. I keep a journal in which I prepare myself for all the temptations I know I'm going to encounter. Coming at each triggering situation with a game plan has really helped me avoid that sick-to-my-stomach type of eating.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Walk away from the food source. I actually go out driving if I feel a binge coming on, find ways to get my mind off food.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I eat like its an addiction. Once i give in, i cant stop. It could be boredom that triggers it, but to be honest, sometimes nothing triggers it. With most addictions, you just never put the substance in you. But we need food, so I can't just cut it out of my life. My latest strategies are meditation for weight loss at night, chewing gum while I make food so I don't start sneaking tastes, and reminding myself as i look at something that i want to finish off that giving in to that addiction is weak. I also have mints and joly ranchers that help to get past it. It's just like when I quit smoking, lol. Oh, and sometimes I'll get a diet soda, which I don't keep around the house so it's a special treat for me.
  • barbermom85
    barbermom85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I was in a bad spot for a while there and haven't logged consistently for a while. After finally reading this I know I'm not alone and I feel like I can get back on track. This was just what I needed tonight.
  • jenncamp03
    jenncamp03 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater just starting my fitness journey. I work out 6 days a week lifting. I can lift heavy weight but I'm heavy. I'm so unhappy with my body. I binge as soon as the kids go to sleep. It's on whole foods but it's a lot. I try a small snack and the next min I notice I've finished everything and need to grocery shop again :( I've tried therapy. I have tried having a trainer plan my meals but I just lose control
  • livinfluffy
    livinfluffy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went from being anorexic/bulimic as a teen and young adult to binge eating and becoming seriously obese. I have been working really hard on this for a long time. Some days, weeks and even years are better than others. I am a mental health therapist and even though I have all the tools I need to cope with stressors, I still struggle some days.
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to your story. I battle it alot and myfitnesspal has really helped. For a while, I was letting the excuse be that I just had twins. My husband didn't have a clue that I was buying food and stashing it in the bedroom. Trail mix, cookies, etc. I'd eat and eat. It was like I was a drug addict! You are so right there! Sometimes I wouldn't eat dinner because I'd already shoveled 5 Hostess cakes and a candy bar and chips in while cooking and I'd just say I wasn't hungry. Even though myfitnesspal has really helped keeping me accountable, there's days I'm still struggling with it. You're not alone.
  • vness513
    vness513 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Gum, lots of herbal teas and water. And putting on a yoga or stretch video always helps me to get my mind off of the impulse to eat for the sake of eating
  • disneyfan85
    disneyfan85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with my dad having malignant brain cancer. I get stressed over it, I eat. Yesterday I got really upset because I was worried I had a cold instead of what I think is a dwindling sinus issue. Due to my dad having to do radiation treatment he can't get sick at all. So what did I do? I attempted to consume everything in the apartment and had my boyfriend buy me a large frosty. I felt really guilty this morning but I got over it. Life goes on.