Please Help !!! Hair loss

Options
Hi everyone .. i stated my fitness journey last October. 5'3 SW 150 lbs CW 125 .
3 month after starting i've noticed my hair have got considerably shorter and is falling out more than usual.. i dont track my calories and i eat enough food losing at a rate of 1-0.5 lbs per week .. i exersice 3-4 times a week 30 to 40 min ... my hair react very badly with sweat... and i can't wash it every time i workout because it'll get so dry and break ! .. i dont know what do ! It seems like i have to choose between exercise and my hair !

Replies

• piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you don't track your calories, how do you know you eat enough food?

Hair loss can be a sign of malnutrition.

Please see a doctor!
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor if I were you. If you tracked your food you can see your micro nutrients and maybe have an idea of what you're missing from your diet to get a general idea.
  • fatimaelmustafa
    fatimaelmustafa Posts: 17 Member
    Options

piheart wrote: »
    If you don't track your calories, how do you know you eat enough food?

Hair loss can be a sign of malnutrition.

Please see a doctor!

I eat whenever iam hungry decent amount of food .. if my calorie defecit was lower i would have been losing more weight at a faster rate .. it's been 2 month since the last pound i lost.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it could be any number of things from eating too little to a vitamin deficiency

please check in with your dr
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's not the sweat. You are missing something from your diet, most likely protein. The deficiency may have happened three months ago and is just showing up now.

"This form of hair loss, known medically as Telogen Effluvium, causes the hair to stop growing. The hair then enters a resting phase, and after three months, the hair will fall out. The first you will know about your hair loss is when your hair starts to fall out. However, the ‘dying off’ phase has been taking place in your follicles for around three months before your hair will start to fall out."

http://kimberleyclarke.hubpages.com/hub/Very-Low-Calorie-Diets-and-The-Link-to-Hair-Loss
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough B vitamins? Biotin is great for hair!
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, protein. I've found eggs to be a good source of fast-acting protein for hair health, and easy to add to almost any recipe, either raw or as a hard-boiled garnish. Of course, if it continues, you should check with your doctor in case anything else is going on.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a nutritionist. Someone to help with meal plans to make sure you are getting all the vits and minerals your body needs. You should track your food to make sure you are getting enough of everything.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'd say see a doctor for sure.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    See a doctor

And for now up your calories
    Eat lots more protein Fat and vitamine B

But see a doctor asap

Hair loss is one of the visible damages of mal-nutrition ( when it is that btw) there can be other damage too
    But up to a doctor.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My bariatric buddies who suffer from brittle/thinning hair have found that Nioxin is the only shampoo that helps. But really, getting those protein numbers up is what really makes the difference.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can be caused by many things - malnutrition, genetics, hormones, etc. You need a doctor to determine the cause and help you with a treatment plan.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Thyroid issues can cause hair loss. I would see your Doctor, thyroid problems can mess with your ability to lose weight and other unpleasant things, like mood swings.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is no way for us to know why your hair is falling out. You need to se a doctor to figure that out.

When you say your hair is getting "shorter," what do you mean, exactly?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    @fatimaelmustafa - I lose extra hair when I am deficient in iron or iodine. See your doctor.

What brand of shampoo are you using?
  • YehuditIsFat
    YehuditIsFat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eat more eggs! My hair was falling out badly and not growing; now it is strong and healthy!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You lost 25 pounds in 3 months, not weighing that much to begin with. You aren't eating enough and this is the result of that. Your body needs nutrition, feed it.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ^^ The usual culprit.

I also lost a lot of hair (it's growing again, though), but I did/do track and never under eat ;) There are a lot of reasons, since our bodies are a system. Each part dependent on the other parts functioning well. One chink in the chain and you'll have a domino effect.

We can't tell you if it has to do with...
    vitamin/nutritional deficiency
    peri-menopause/menopause
    seasonal shedding - although probably not since it sounds like you're dealing with some breakage if it's getting shorter.
    chronic illness that hasn't been diagnosed
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Baking soda mixed with water can be used as a very gentle shampoo. Check google for ratios of water to baking soda.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    B vitamins. Protein. Maybe oils and fat too.