Resistance training for women over 50

Options
Does anybody have recommendations for online videos that incorporate strength/resistance training for women over 50. Need to start doing some type of strength training for bones and to get that metabolism going again. I am not experienced at all so videos would be helpful. Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Youtube - Jillian Michaels 30 day shred / Jessica Smith also does a wide selection of workouts (love her style :smile: ) / Fitness Blender to name a few....
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    "New Rules of Lifting for Life" is my recommendation for your age group. It's a book.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'd get the Arnold encyclopedia. Lifting isn't miraculously different because you're older, or female. Start light and simple, progress from there.
  • Sheri3851
    Sheri3851 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies. New to any kind of strength workouts so appreciate the suggestions.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I am on the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. You can start with Dumbbells or Kettlebells if the bar is too heavy. I started with the women's 33-35 lb Olympic bar.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Join the club! I started lifting free weights with a trainer at my local gym last fall at the age of 52. Started barely able to manage the bar, and now am benching 75 lbs, squatting 95 lbs, overhead pressing 65 lbs, and deadlifting 135 (made it to 150 once) after 6 months! We follow mostly a 5 x 5 routine like Strong Lifts. It's one of the best things I've ever done for my overall health and fitness ever.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Great that you have started looking after your muscles and bones.

Sorry, I don't do videos, but..,,

I do a modified SL 5x5 with hand weights in the winter, a slow progression lifting as heavy as I can. That is the trick to heavy lifting; pay no attention to what others are lifting, so long as you progress lifting what is heavy for you, you will benefit.
    I am thinking of trying All Pro this fall as your reps increase then your weights.

In the summer I follow nerdfitness.com which is a good basic body weight routine.
    You Are YourOwn Gym, and Convict Confitioning also are well respected body workouts.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Women over 50 is not a distinct category

If you want to work out at home and have no equipment then I'd suggest a good progressive bodyweight programme

This is a good one (with demonstrations) http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Progressive means increasing resistance or intensity ...the best thing you could work up to would be a proper weight training programme like http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ (or starting strength / ice cream fitness) but you may need to find a gym for those