Hello!! Thoughts on the 70% nutrition, 30% gym mentality??

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    In the end it doesn't matter how you create a calorie deficit, but most people will tell you it's easier eating less than burning more.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You don't have to have any idea whatsoever how many calories you burn to know if you're in a calorie deficit. If your weight goes down over time, you're in one. If is doesn't, you're not. :)
    That's true enough. But you cannot plan it out, doing math and counting calories to eat X amount of food, if you have no idea what you're burning.
    Yes, you most certainly can. Why do you think you can't?
    Its not possible. ALL the calculators will use some estimate of how much you burn.
    You're 100% wrong. You don't even need a calculator. All you need is a scale. If you're losing weight, you're in a deficit. If you're not, you aren't. Adjust your intake and/or exercise accordingly. There is absolutely no reason at all, period, why you need to know how many calories you're burning in order to form a weight loss plan. None at all.

Why is it not possible to know if you're in a deficit and do math and planning without knowing how much you burn? You keep skipping that part.
    This! Why do you need a calculator at all?

Because it's hard to adjust calories in if you're not tracking them?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Some people like to know what contribution they are making from food deficit and exercise. Its all estimates. Some people dont and can adjust on whether they lose or gain. Just becayse you dont need it doesnt mean its any less valid or helpful for others.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have any idea whatsoever how many calories you burn to know if you're in a calorie deficit. If your weight goes down over time, you're in one. If is doesn't, you're not. :)
    That's true enough. But you cannot plan it out, doing math and counting calories to eat X amount of food, if you have no idea what you're burning.
    Its not possible. ALL the calculators will use some estimate of how much you burn.
    You're 100% wrong. You don't even need a calculator. All you need is a scale. If you're losing weight, you're in a deficit. If you're not, you aren't. Adjust your intake and/or exercise accordingly. There is absolutely no reason at all, period, why you need to know how many calories you're burning in order to form a weight loss plan. None at all.

Why is it not possible to know if you're in a deficit and do math and planning without knowing how much you burn? You keep skipping that part.

What is "them"?

She's talking about tracking burn, not calories.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I don't think you're following what I'm saying and would encourage you to re-read what has actually been said.

I 100% agree that you don't need to know what you burn or how many calories you've eaten in order to lose weight. No math, no scales, no nothing. You can lose weight without all of that. :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

If you don't have any idea about the calories you're eating there's no way to properly adjust your intake unless you're eating the same thing every day, though. With exercise that's simple unless you do a different kind of sport every time.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

We're talking about different things. Tracking calories in is extremely important. It's calories out that I do not concern myself with.
  • Kalikel
    Options

You don't. You don't need to log, weigh, or calculate anything. I was just saying that if you're going to be counting calories and eating up to a total number of calories, you will have to factor in how much you burn to get that total. All the online calculators do that.
  • vismal
    edited August 2015
    Options

You don't. You don't need to log, weigh, or calculate anything. I was just saying that if you're going to be counting calories and eating up to a total number of calories, you will have to factor in how much you burn to get that total. All the online calculators do that.
    Most online calculators just ask for your general level of activity. You in no way need to have a number of calories burned. It really doesn't matter anyway. Simplest way to know if you are in a deficit: Just eat any number of calories under the sun that you choose. Did you lose weight after a few weeks? If yes, deficit achieved! If no, reduce intake no deficit is present...

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

What is "them"?

She's talking about tracking burn, not calories.

I was agreeing with you, I think. "Them" was calories in.
    EDIT: and I agree with Vismal as well. Just crossed wires.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We're talking about different things. Tracking calories in is extremely important. It's calories out that I do not concern myself with.

You arent everyone though. If you burn a significant amount then those calories count towards the deficit. You would need an idea of how many you have burned to know how many you needed to eat back. If you wnat to rely just on the scale thats fine, but that method has a longer lead in time .
  • Kalikel
    Options

Most online calculators just ask for your general level of activity. You in no way need to have a number of calories burned. It really doesn't matter anyway. Simplest way to know if you are in a deficit: Just eat any number of calories under the sun that you choose. Did you lose weight after a few weeks? If yes, deficit achieved! If no, reduce intake no deficit is present...
    Your level of activity, your height, your weight...it's all factored in. They take a guess at what you're burning to come up with a number of what you should be taking in.

You can ignore your activity. You can ignore what you eat. But your body won't. Your body counts all of it.

• longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I don't like it when i hear this. It's my opinion, that you should be putting 100% effort into both your diet and exercise goals. Both are equally important to me.

1.) for my fitness
    1.) for my weight management

The 70/30 or 80/20 makes it seem like one is less important than the other for my overall health.

200%...is that what they be teachin' in that new common core maths?
    common-core-math.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

You don't have to factor in how much you burn. You just don't. I don't know what words can make you understand that. The scale is the evidence of whether you're burning more than you're eating or not. That's all you need.
  • vismal
    edited August 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You arent everyone though. If you burn a significant amount then those calories count towards the deficit. You would need an idea of how many you have burned to know how many you needed to eat back. If you wnat to rely just on the scale thats fine, but that method has a longer lead in time .
    If you use a TDEE method you don't eat calories back. It is FAR simpler to do it that way. Many people ruin their entire deficit by over-estimating burned calories and eating them back. Most everyone on here agrees not to eat all their burned calories back. I do not see the advantage of taking a very much estimated number (calories burned) and then eating back an arbitrary percentage of the estimated number. Seems like an awful lot of unknowns. If you do not eat back any burned calories, and simply focus on one, fairly controllable variable, calories in, it's much less of a hassle and much less of a chance of going wrong.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

If you don't have any idea about the calories you're eating there's no way to properly adjust your intake unless you're eating the same thing every day, though. With exercise that's simple unless you do a different kind of sport every time.
    I'm not saying you don't need to track calories. I'm saying you don't need to know how much you burn in order to plan and succeed.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

Your level of activity, your height, your weight...it's all factored in. They take a guess at what you're burning to come up with a number of what you should be taking in.

You can ignore your activity. You can ignore what you eat. But your body won't. Your body counts all of it.
    No one is saying to ignore anything. What your body counts -- what shows up on the scale -- is the ultimate judge. That's what you need to know.

• Kalikel
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    If you use a TDEE method you don't eat calories back. It is FAR simpler to do it that way. Many people ruin their entire deficit by over-estimating burned calories and eating them back. Most everyone on here agrees not to eat all their burned calories back. I do not see the advantage of taking a very much estimated number (calories burned) and then eating back an arbitrary percentage of the estimated number. Seems like an awful lot of unknowns. If you do not eat back any burned calories, and simply focus on one, fairly controllable variable, calories in, it's much less of a hassle and much less of a chance of going wrong.
    The TDEE is also taking a guess at what you'll be burning.

• Kalikel
    Options

You don't have to factor in how much you burn. You just don't. I don't know what words can make you understand that. The scale is the evidence of whether you're burning more than you're eating or not. That's all you need.
    I am done with this. It's been explained. You disagree. I'm cool with that.