Advice

Options
Does any one have any tips on how to stay on track with eating healthy and exercising? I want to lose weight but can't stay motivated to exercise and struggle to eat healthy. Any advice would be useful. T.i.a. X

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Keep your eyes on the prize :) Log everyday, even if you have bad days. Don't stop logging. Exercise is for fitness and food deficits are for weight loss. You can do this :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you can't stay motivated... then you're not going to reach your goal weight.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Staying on track is a mental decision acted upon daily. :)

Like @queenliz99 states keep your eyes on the prize. It can start out as anything. In my case it was to cut out my pain by diet instead of with Rx meds. After I lost some weight then losing more weight because a new prize for example.

It may not help today but really once I started feeling better motivation was not an issue. Research and read all the time. There is no one eating lifestyle that fits everyone. Not everyone seems to understand that fact. :)

Yes you can do this.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    make sure you're getting enough protein and fats...those should keep you from getting hungry. Start with small changes -- drink lots of water, look for new recipes. For me, i started by giving up soda, fast food and reduced red meat to two times per week. These were small changes, but I lost 25 pounds doing that. Then I found MFP and started with a new trainer and I've lost another 25....I have found that i LOVE exercise and my trainer now has me lifting heavy. I am constantly amazed at how much I can do!!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When you want this badly enough, you'll do it.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the success stories forum, that always gets me motivated.

No one can do this for you. You have to find your own motivation within yourself. Figure out why you want to do this and put it on a post it note on the fridge and through out the house.

Also, try baby steps. Make one small change a week and stick to it 100%. Exchange water for soda for one week. Get a side salad instead of fries on the side when you have the choice. Walk for 10 minutes a day. Serve yourself 1/3 less than you used to, etc. Once you show yourself that you can stick to a goal, you will gain some more confidence. Willpower is like a muscle, the more you train it the stronger it will get. Show yourself that you have willpower in smaller things to give yourself the confidence to have willpower for larger things.
  • EliseGott
    EliseGott Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys ^_^ I appreciate the advice it's really helpful :smile:
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I pre- log my foods for the day and when I'm hungry go back onto my food entries and it helps me stay on track, also I try and pack my lunch for work so I'm not tempted by fast food places and junk at the gas stations on the way to and from work. If you stay at home, you could try getting into your workout clothes right away that way your more likely to complete your exercise for the day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Keep your eyes on the prize :) Log everyday, even if you have bad days. Don't stop logging.
    Agreed!

Log on your bad days, too!!! It's a record of what you did and how you struggled. Failures are part of the process and should be logged!

Just remember what you want. As you plan your diet, ask yourself what the foods will do for you, then decide if they're being included.

Never quit!

• MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Make small achievable goals, month by month.
    When you feeling down, don't look at how far there is to go but how far you've come.
    A bad day is not the end
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i have tried and failed many times. one day, i decided i was ready. no one else can decide for you. it has to come from within. i haven't been the same since - and my goal is going to be easier to reach b/c i am sticking to my plan.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As some others have said, one day, I was just ready to do it. I have off days but it's completely different this time, I'm all in.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's all a mind game.. you just have to keep fighting for it. One day something just clicked and I was ready/had the determination I needed to lose weight. But I've hit MANY bumps.. you just can't let it bring you down.

Yesterday was my sister's birthday and I ate almost 2,000 calories over my goal. Today, I started my day with some oatmeal and got some exercise in. I feel a million times better.

I didn't lose all the weight in one day so a bad day here and there isn't going to undo all your hard work unless you allow it to.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're ready to start living healthier and lose a few pounds--Woohoo! One habit that has helped me immensely has been logging my food the night before and making sure my diary is open for all to see. If my food is already logged it is easier to stay on track and I'm being held accountable. Of course, there are days that I don't eat the most healthy things, but I still log it and promise myself to do better the next day. Keep in mind that you won't always feel this motivated. Motivation comes and goes, but your determination and consistency should never change. It's a long process so just take it one day at a time. Good luck! :)
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you can't stay motivated... then you're not going to reach your goal weight.

This exactly.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When you want this badly enough, you'll do it.

This is what worked for me!
  • EliseGott
    EliseGott Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! :)