Lifting at the gym..help Please

Options
I don't have a workout buddy and I'm lost when it comes to weights I have a general understanding but as far as how to specifically work my shoulders, triceps, biceps...can anyone give me ideas that I can YouTube how to properly do it.. Much appreciated..

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you've never done a strength program before, start with a beginner progressive strength program. Once you have built up a base level of strength, re-evaluate where you are and adjust the program to address specific problem areas. For example, after a couple months of your beginner program, you could add Lat Pulldowns to work a weak back and biceps.

Some good beginner programs:

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    all pro beginner
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting

I like Mark Rippetoe's book (Starting Strength) for instruction on how to use proper form. You can search for his videos on Youtube, which goes through some of it.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has a great set of videos and I also use Scott Herman videos on youtube to check my form make sure I'm doing things right.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    If you've never done a strength program before, start with a beginner progressive strength program. Once you have built up a base level of strength, re-evaluate where you are and adjust the program to address specific problem areas. For example, after a couple months of your beginner program, you could add Lat Pulldowns to work a weak back and biceps.

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    all pro beginner
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting

I like Mark Rippetoe's book (Starting Strength) for instruction on how to use proper form. You can search for his videos on Youtube, which goes through some of it.

+1
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    While I've watched plenty from Rip and Herman, both get on my nerves. I'd recommend:
    http://www.exrx.net/index.html
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    MsMoving0n wrote: »
    I don't have a workout buddy and I'm lost when it comes to weights I have a general understanding but as far as how to specifically work my shoulders, triceps, biceps...can anyone give me ideas that I can YouTube how to properly do it.. Much appreciated..

Look up Jamie Eason. She is fantastic.
  • Milenac93
    Milenac93 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Seriously Bodybuilding.com has saved my life lol. I am currently doing Erin Stern's Elite 4-week trainer and it is amazing. Each day comes with a video so you can see how to do each exercise. Also, It is free which is great.
  • jhass80
    jhass80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    all pro beginner
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting

+2 really sound advice. Bodybuilding.com is good also. I would use bodybuilding.com more to see proper form for your selected program.
  • RAmelia63
    RAmelia63 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Download the fitness buddy app. It has exercises and workouts by body parts with animated instructions. Bodybuilding and Muscle and Strenght.com are also great resources. Your gym should also offer (free) a complimentary session with a staff member that can show you how each machine works. Good luck.
  • _sambamm
    _sambamm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    triceps - tricep pushdown, tricep dips, overhead db tricep extension, skull crushers etc.,

biceps - db hammercurls, bb bicep curls etc.,

shoulders - db shoulder press, bb upright row, reverse pec deck, front and lateral raises etc.,

about 3-4 sets and 8-12 rep range.

if you want anymore types of weight lifting exercises just shoot me an email.