want to get rid of big mid section but don't really wanna lo

Options
Hii I am 5'5 and 123 pounds.. (20 yrs old) when i first started last year I was 150. So i have lost almost 30 pounds in a little over a year (yay). But there is a big problem.. i have a lot of tummy fat & love handle fat! Its actually very gross and i hate it. i dont know what to do about it either.. The rest of my body is getting really skinny and I don't want to lose too much more weight bc i dont want my face to look gross.. and i think 123 is a decent weight for my height.. but i really dont want this stomach and love handle fat! :( i thought it would be gone after losing the weight i have lost.. I eat 1600-1800 calories a day & cardio 3x a week. I have heard that reducing carbs is a good way to lose stomach fat so yesterday i started really watching my carb intake. Its summer and iv lost so much weight.. i want to wear a bikini and show it off!... but instead i am sooo self consious about my mid section so theres no way ill be wearing a bikini any time soon:/

Replies

• perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Your size sounds great. I wonder if you just think it looks like fat? Show us a picture. Then we can tell you if you are nuts or not. What do your family and friends say?
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Make sure you also do strength training! Building muscle helps burn fat!!! Cardio is great, but real change happens with weights!!!
  • JessieJacobs
    Options
    Yes, cutting carbs back might be helpful. Also make sure you are getting the *right* carbs when you do eat them. Your carbs should mainly come from whole grains, fruits, and veggies. Stay away from sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and highly processed foods as much as you can. Getting enough sleep and reducing stress may help you as well. Often times the place we want to lose weight most is the last to go, unfortunately. I have the same problem with my booty! ;) Good luck!
  • JessieJacobs
    Options
    Make sure you also do strength training! Building muscle helps burn fat!!! Cardio is great, but real change happens with weights!!!

Also so very true!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

off subject but how do you get the ticker for running walking
  • oklamb73
    oklamb73 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think the previous reply is a good suggestion (maybe more comfortable in one community than another though... I'm pretty new here.) The two things that have really helped with my tummy/love handles are: changing cardio- I run when I can now instead of hitting the elliptical, and cross training - bike, yoga, pilates (especially the pilates!) Best of luck, and don't get discouraged, I think you are doing fabulous!
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    make sure tht u take calcium as per recommended dosage helps to lose belly fat i have read a lot on prevention.com and realage.com
  • jandayates
    Options
    :smile: strength train. you'll look alot better if you start building muscle. You don't need to lose wieght just firm it up. I totally understand cuz I can look a little sloppy on the thighs at 123lbs. Muscle is the only solution.
  • bayabaya
    bayabaya Posts: 52
    Options
    lifting weights will help to get rid of stomach fat?? I never knew this.. i thought it would just make you muscular..this is interesting and i would like to learn more..
  • JessieJacobs
    Options
    If you are strength training and building muscle, your body will burn more fat as a result. If you don't want to lose any more weight, you'll have to do some trial and error with your calories (you may actually need to take more calories in). For instance, I have been doing the Insanity program for about a month, and I don't need to lose any more weight, but want to burn fat. In the past month, I have upped my calorie intake, but I have lost an inch in my waist, and an inch in my hips (and only lost 2lbs). Just some food for thought...
  • bayabaya
    bayabaya Posts: 52
    Options
    design jessie- hi, thx for the reply! how many calories do you think i should try eating? more than 1800?
  • JessieJacobs
    Options
    design jessie- hi, thx for the reply! how many calories do you think i should try eating? more than 1800?

(disclaimer: I am by no means an expert, I'm just sharing what has been working for me personally, based on the Insanity program's nutrition plan)

Using the Harris Benedict Equation for women:
    655 + (4.35 x wt in lbs) + (4.7 x ht in inches) - (4.7 x age) = calories required to maintain current weight without exercise ---

So for you, it would be: 655 + (536) + (306) - (94) = 1403

Then multiply that number by your "exercise factor":
    1.2 = Sedentary (little or no exercise)
    1.375 = Lightly active (light exercise 1-3 days/wk)
    1.55 = Moderately active (moderate exervise 3-5 days/wk)
    1.7 = Very active (hard exercise 6-7 days/wk)

So, let's say you're "moderately active," then it would be 1403 x 1.55 = 2174 (to maintain your weight with your current exercise level)

That's just a place to start, and then you can subtract or add calories as you see fit. It really could take some trial and error, and everyone is different, so you kinda have to be patient and see what your body does. Personally, I am eating around 2000-2200 cals and I'm 5'10", 27 yrs old, and 147 lbs (and my workouts are pretty intense, 6 days/wk).
  • JessieJacobs
    Options
    Also I just saw that you said cardio 3x a week, so you may fall into the "Lightly active" category, depending on how hard your workouts are.
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    what is insanity program?