Lost only 2 pounds in 4 weeks! Help please

Options
Hi, I have learned so much about counting calories here and have been very strict about eating only my 1200 and not eating back all of my exercise calories, but I am still struggling to lose every ounce. At this rate in losing only half a pound a week which feels eternally slow. I have about 15-20 pounds to lose in total. At this rate, it will take me nearly a year, which seems crazy. In the past I have always lost weight (and gained it) and a much faster rate. I am at a desk job all day but I walk about 4 miles every night. I have lay off the rubbing and weight lifting for a while as it seemed to cause bloat and water weight gain. And yes, I am weighing all my food on a food scale. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Stats?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    A half pound weight loss is actually reasonable even if it feels slow. My suggestion would be to go back to weights a few times a week just so that you maintain muscle - you will be happier with visible results, I think, too. Water weight gain is just water - not fat - don't sweat it.
  • TiaGia101
    TiaGia101 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    As for stats, I'm a 5 foot 10 female. Currently weigh 163 pounds and trying to get to 145-150.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    You ONLY have 15-20 pounds to lose, so everything I have read on here indicates that 0.5lbs a week is actually sensible for your goal.

Patience!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    That's a reasonable amount per week loss for only 15 lbs left to lose
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    IMHO, OP your attitude about weight loss rate needs to be SERIOUSLY adjusted. If you want to lose in a healthy way and keep it off permanently, then slow and steady is the best way.
  • nicediva007
    nicediva007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I disagree with some of the advice here. I've been successful losing 15-20 lbs in about 10 weeks total with 5-6 days a week cardio/strength and a healthy diet within a specific calorie range of 1400-1600 cals per day. I can also easily maintain it long term keeping up the fitness part of it and eating in moderation. Most of the advice that lends itself to slow and steady is because it's hard to keep the habits up long term if you lose it too quickly. But in reality (physiologically, at least) there isn't anything wrong with losing it fast IF you can keep the right mindset during maintenance. Maintenance is often the most difficult part.

With that said, and without much other info, I think you might be eating too few calories. If you have a lot of muscle mass already then your metabolic needs are likely higher and you could be in starvation mode, especially putting in 4 miles a day. I would recommend bumping up the food intake with nutritionally sound whole foods approx 200 calories worth and seeing how that helps. If you restrict too much for your caloric needs it can often backfire. Every body is different but I've seen this happen many times with people who are too restrictive.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    kkzmom11 wrote: »
    IMHO, OP your attitude about weight loss rate needs to be SERIOUSLY adjusted. If you want to lose in a healthy way and keep it off permanently, then slow and steady is the best way.

This.

OP, you're losing at the right rate. You didn't put the weight on overnight, so it's unreasonable to expect to lose it overnight. Keep going as you're going, and the pounds will soon add up.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great start!
  • TiaGia101
    Options
    I disagree with some of the advice here. I've been successful losing 15-20 lbs in about 10 weeks total with 5-6 days a week cardio/strength and a healthy diet within a specific calorie range of 1400-1600 cals per day. I can also easily maintain it long term keeping up the fitness part of it and eating in moderation. Most of the advice that lends itself to slow and steady is because it's hard to keep the habits up long term if you lose it too quickly. But in reality (physiologically, at least) there isn't anything wrong with losing it fast IF you can keep the right mindset during maintenance. Maintenance is often the most difficult part.

With that said, and without much other info, I think you might be eating too few calories. If you have a lot of muscle mass already then your metabolic needs are likely higher and you could be in starvation mode, especially putting in 4 miles a day. I would recommend bumping up the food intake with nutritionally sound whole foods approx 200 calories worth and seeing how that helps. If you restrict too much for your caloric needs it can often backfire. Every body is different but I've seen this happen many times with people who are too restrictive.

Thanks. The four miles I put on is walking, and it takes me about an hour and a half. Can you tell me what your workout schedule is and what type of exercise you do? I'm curious. Thanks again.
  • TiaGia101
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

This.

OP, you're losing at the right rate. You didn't put the weight on overnight, so it's unreasonable to expect to lose it overnight. Keep going as you're going, and the pounds will soon add up.

Well, I am one of this people who gain five pounds in a day so I do get impatient. I have been plugging away at it but as I have lost weight more quickly in the past with what seemed like less effort, I am left a bit puzzled. I'm still sticking wit the MFP a plan but I see others losing weight much easier and I wonder if I'm missing something.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    TiaGia101 wrote: »

This.

Well, I am one of this people who gain five pounds in a day so I do get impatient. I have been plugging away at it but as I have lost weight more quickly in the past with what seemed like less effort, I am left a bit puzzled. I'm still sticking wit the MFP a plan but I see others losing weight much easier and I wonder if I'm missing something.

Gaining weight daily as you eat and drink is normal. I fluctuate a lot daily and you're not actually gaining 5lbs of fat a day - not possible. It's just water. Be patient! The closer you get to your goal the slower it comes off and that's healthy!
  • Orphia
    Options
    TiaGia101 wrote: »

This.

Those others are very probably much heavier than you and/or losing water weight at the start. Weight loss slows the less you have to lose. It's natural.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Your story may be different than hers if you had more to lose than she did. Starvation mode as you explained it here is NOT TRUE, and it doesn't work that way. You don't lose by eating more, you lose by logging accurately.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "Well, I am one of this people who gain five pounds in a day so I do get impatient. I have been plugging away at it but as I have lost weight more quickly in the past with what seemed like less effort, I am left a bit puzzled. I'm still sticking wit the MFP a plan but I see others losing weight much easier and I wonder if I'm missing something."

I feel the same way. I am not losig much, if anything, and its been a bit more than a month here at about 1400 calories per day and 50-60 carbs per day. I have added exercise but not every day. Woonderingif I am eating too much or too little or not exercising enough or what? Suggestions?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories per day you should be losing two pounds per week not the half pound you're losing.
    - You say you don't eat back all of your exercise calories. What percentage of them are you eating back?
    - Are you sure you're logging all the food you eat? I have to be scrupulous to log anything I eat after I leave the computer for the night - I make sure I leave notes or dishes to remind me.
  • Orphia
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • TiaGia101
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg

Yes, I've seen this chart before. Thanks.
  • TiaGia101
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    At 1200 calories per day you should be losing two pounds per week not the half pound you're losing.
    - You say you don't eat back all of your exercise calories. What percentage of them are you eating back?
    - Are you sure you're logging all the food you eat? I have to be scrupulous to log anything I eat after I leave the computer for the night - I make sure I leave notes or dishes to remind me.

Yes, I've become very diligent about logging everything. It was a hard habit to get into by I've been fully committed.
    I eat back about half my exercise calories on average. Sometimes a bit more. Sometimes less.
  • TiaGia101
    Options
    pennell12 wrote: »
    "Well, I am one of this people who gain five pounds in a day so I do get impatient. I have been plugging away at it but as I have lost weight more quickly in the past with what seemed like less effort, I am left a bit puzzled. I'm still sticking wit the MFP a plan but I see others losing weight much easier and I wonder if I'm missing something."

I feel the same way. I am not losig much, if anything, and its been a bit more than a month here at about 1400 calories per day and 50-60 carbs per day. I have added exercise but not every day. Woonderingif I am eating too much or too little or not exercising enough or what? Suggestions?

I know it's frustrating. I wonder if I should try to do even fewer carbs?