Cutting out meat, but afraid of carbs?!

Options
so I'm not technically trying to be a vegetarian at the moment, but I'm trying to see what it does for me as far as weightloss and how I feel if I get off of meat for a few weeks. I'm substituting meat for beans mostly but I'm afraid I'm taking in to many carbs this way. With this, now I'm going over my carbs. I am active enough I feel, and the beans are homemade so nothing added but garlic gloves and onion . Would that technically be okay or should I find another alternative other than 300 calories worth of beans everyday.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eliminate meat, you should read up on vegetarianism and protein sources. Dairy and soybeans have complete protein, the rest of the veggies have different kinds of protein. Some proteins have to be eaten because your body can't make them. So read up on protein and being a vegetarian.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    irrational fear of any macro-nutrient is irrational...

carbs aren't the devil...most of the world has eaten a high carb diet for the vast majority of our existence. i eat a moderate to high carb diet that is substantially plant and grain based...i'm about 12% BF and very fit and healthy.

also, going vegetarian in no way guarantees weight loss...there are a lot of fat vegetarians out there.
  • elarian
    elarian Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't replace meat with just beans. Try mixing it up with nuts, seeds, lentils. Quinoa is awesome. The nuts and seeds have more fat (but good fat!). Quinoa is carby, but packed with protein. Have you tried tofu? Soy products don't agree with me, but they are great meat substitutes. Lots more out there than just beans. Have fun exploring new foods!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good protein sources besides meat. Do you eat seafood? You've mentioned beans, but don't forget dairy and eggs, nuts, meat substitutes like tempeh and seitan, plenty of vegetables. It's all good. Just stay under your calorie goal.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    have you tried chicken, turkey or seafood? all of those are excellent sources of protein. we only have red meat about 2x per week.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Beans are great.
    350 calories of black beans gets you 22 grams of protein and 62 carbs
    350 calories of tofu gets you 20 grams of protein and 10 carbs
  • cm624
    cm624 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are not afraid of carbs, like so many others here, you may want to check out the carb lovers diet. I don't care for restrictive diets and you can have pasta, potatoes, veggies, fruit, etc. Helps you like brand, since they are a high resistant carbs. I even have a glass of wine with dinner.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Food groups are not to be feared no more than people are to be feared.

While some food and some people may hurt you so you just do not hang out with them. Other foods and people may help you in positive ways. You want to instead hang out with them.

We all know people who we will not hang out with and do not hang out with them. The same thing applies to foods in my experience.

Yes it can take some time in selecting friends that are best for you and you for them. Just keep working at finding the right foods and friends in life.

Again it takes time and effort to make dieting work long term. It took me 40 years before I had a clue so there is hope for all of us. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are cutting meat and you are afraid of carbs all that is left is fat. And eggs. I think that is too difficult.

Vegetarian will be a little higher in carbs because you have cut an important source of protein.

Lots of advice above on sourcing vegetarian proteins (which will come with carbs attached).
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The big question is..what is the reason to cut a food group out?

So meat for a principle reason a life style..carbs for what?
    Are there medical issues?

When not...why make it harder and more difficult than it really is?

Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight
    You can eat everything as long as you dont have medical issues with anything.

Its simple :)
    And think of it this way...Eat now how you want to eat when you want to maintain your weight...Is that low carb oke
    Is that as a vegetarian..oke
    Up to you
    But for weight loss you dont have to cut out anything only less calories :)
  • matt88uk
    matt88uk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    so I'm not technically trying to be a vegetarian at the moment, but I'm trying to see what it does for me as far as weightloss and how I feel if I get off of meat for a few weeks. I'm substituting meat for beans mostly but I'm afraid I'm taking in to many carbs this way. With this, now I'm going over my carbs. I am active enough I feel, and the beans are homemade so nothing added but garlic gloves and onion . Would that technically be okay or should I find another alternative other than 300 calories worth of beans everyday.
    why does everyone think carbs are bad its your best friend keeps you going energy wise calories matter in vs out soo dont be cutting dem carbs

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    irrational fear of any macro-nutrient is irrational...

carbs aren't the devil...most of the world has eaten a high carb diet for the vast majority of our existence. i eat a moderate to high carb diet that is substantially plant and grain based...i'm about 12% BF and very fit and healthy.

also, going vegetarian in no way guarantees weight loss...there are a lot of fat vegetarians out there.

So much this
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    matt88uk wrote: »
    why does everyone think carbs are bad its your best friend keeps you going energy wise calories matter in vs out soo dont be cutting dem carbs

I think people who don't know what they're doing get worried about scale weight swings because they don't realise how much playing with carbs is manipulating their natural water weight

It's very different from those who take an educated decision to reduce carbs because it is their chosen way to reach a calorie defecit

OP seems to be flailing from one fad idea to the next and my advice would be to stop, throw away everything she thinks she knows about dieting ...every single factoid and fad ...and solely concentrate on calories for a month or two

Then she can be looking at her macros

Or if she is serious about vegetarianism, rather than a new weight loss fad which it really won't help with, then educate herself on a nutritionally sound vegetarian diet
  • blondesaunders
    blondesaunders Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YouTube: Freelee the Banana girl! Her videos have been really helpful for me and my journey, might help you!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    YouTube: Freelee the Banana girl! Her videos have been really helpful for me and my journey, might help you!

facepalm_227789.jpg
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

That is possibly the worst advice I've ever heard. FreeLee has an active eating disorder. She's also crazy.

iv7wnc6id1zi.gif

OP why are you cutting out whole food groups? Cutting out meat or restricting carbs aren't the magic weight loss ticket. I put on weight when I was vegetarian! Trying to cut out meat and restrict carbs for no medical reason is just making things harder for yourself. If you're interested in being vegetarian then you need to educate yourself about how to eat properly to meet your needs. Carbs aren't the devil.
  • Danireyes15
    Danireyes15 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks everyone