Food weighing?

Options
124»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they all have these features, but for me the main things are:
    -- digital
    -- switch between grams and ounces
    -- the "tare" function (I didn't even know what it was till I started on MFP)
    -- a dial that you can read without bending down and squinting

I never even use the ounces option. Only grams.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't know if they all have these features, but for me the main things are:
    -- digital
    -- switch between grams and ounces
    -- the "tare" function (I didn't even know what it was till I started on MFP)
    -- a dial that you can read without bending down and squinting

I never even use the ounces option. Only grams.

Yes, same with me actually, at least for my food. Now anyway. lol. I only started doing grams-only when I came to MFP. That's when I learned how easy it is to use "1 gram" as the unit and then just put in "150 servings" or whatever.

However, I do use ounces to weigh mail. I sent out a good number of thicker envelopes so I like to weigh just to be sure of the stamps. Our post office is the pits so I refuse to get in any of their looooooooong lines. :open_mouth:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I had a 10 dollar one from Amazon that lasted me a year, however I had some minor annoyances with it because if I put a bigger dinner sized plate on it I couldn't hardly read the scale because the plate would be covering the display. So I opted for this one when that one died and I love it because its so easy to read the display because of the curve. http://amazon.com/gp/product/B005WLPVUG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Oh look, a sledge hammer just accidentally hit all three of my food scales so now I guess I have to buy this beautiful BEAUTIFUL one! :love:

OP, I weigh: fruits, vegetables, grains, flour, meat, thicker liquids/dressings. I don't weigh: freely pouring liquids (as discussed extensively), pre portioned items like bread slices, cheese slices, eggs - I weighed egg whites from a carton when I ate them, bacon. Carrots and cherries may fall under this category as well since I snack on them throughout the day, and weighing one or two baby carrots while preparing dinner is just going to annoy me. Instead for those I tend to get an idea what each one weighs on average and over estimate, and just log by total # of pcs if necessary.

For recipes, I weigh the total cooked yield and record the weight in grams as the total number of servings in the recipe tool. Then I weigh each individual portion for meal logging. So I might record 160 "servings" of peanut soup

Lol, I went to look at that scale also. Unfortunately no sledge hammers fell on my current one. :wink:

Weighing recipes is where I have a hard time. Like for instance, I made crockpot bbq the other day. I cooked chicken breasts in a bit of the sauce, shredded them, then added sauce until it tasted right. I need to figure out how to do that. I guess I could have measured out some sauce ahead of time, added what I needed and then I'd see what was left and would know how much I put in... Hm.. I'll have to try that next time. But, this last time I just didn't eat a ton of it and since it was dinner I just put it down as all the rest of my calories for that day. But that's not as accurate as I'd like to be.

You could weigh the sauce container before/after. Depending on how long it takes you to get the taste you want, the scale may not time out. On the calorie counting 101 thread, he says to tare the condiment container, take what you need, then replace the container on the scale and record the negative # as your weight. If too much time elapses in your case, you may need to do it the manual way by recording the weights before and after, and then doing some math

For anyone who hasn't seen this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

Edit: Whoops, just now seeing that the meat is actually cooked in the sauce, so needless to say the scale has long timed out by the time you add more :laugh:
  • Monklady123
    Options
    I had a 10 dollar one from Amazon that lasted me a year, however I had some minor annoyances with it because if I put a bigger dinner sized plate on it I couldn't hardly read the scale because the plate would be covering the display. So I opted for this one when that one died and I love it because its so easy to read the display because of the curve. http://amazon.com/gp/product/B005WLPVUG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Oh look, a sledge hammer just accidentally hit all three of my food scales so now I guess I have to buy this beautiful BEAUTIFUL one! :love:

OP, I weigh: fruits, vegetables, grains, flour, meat, thicker liquids/dressings. I don't weigh: freely pouring liquids (as discussed extensively), pre portioned items like bread slices, cheese slices, eggs - I weighed egg whites from a carton when I ate them, bacon. Carrots and cherries may fall under this category as well since I snack on them throughout the day, and weighing one or two baby carrots while preparing dinner is just going to annoy me. Instead for those I tend to get an idea what each one weighs on average and over estimate, and just log by total # of pcs if necessary.

For recipes, I weigh the total cooked yield and record the weight in grams as the total number of servings in the recipe tool. Then I weigh each individual portion for meal logging. So I might record 160 "servings" of peanut soup

Lol, I went to look at that scale also. Unfortunately no sledge hammers fell on my current one. :wink:

Weighing recipes is where I have a hard time. Like for instance, I made crockpot bbq the other day. I cooked chicken breasts in a bit of the sauce, shredded them, then added sauce until it tasted right. I need to figure out how to do that. I guess I could have measured out some sauce ahead of time, added what I needed and then I'd see what was left and would know how much I put in... Hm.. I'll have to try that next time. But, this last time I just didn't eat a ton of it and since it was dinner I just put it down as all the rest of my calories for that day. But that's not as accurate as I'd like to be.

You could weigh the sauce container before/after. Depending on how long it takes you to get the taste you want, the scale may not time out. On the calorie counting 101 thread, he says to tare the condiment container, take what you need, then replace the container on the scale and record the negative # as your weight. If too much time elapses in your case, you may need to do it the manual way by recording the weights before and after, and then doing some math

For anyone who hasn't seen this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

Thanks Jane for the link to that thread. I'll take a look at it. I'm pretty new at all this and didn't even know what "tare" was until I started here at MFP. lol
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My scale won't do "negatives" so I just weigh the container before I take anything out, weigh it again after I take something out. My scale also cuts off pretty quickly (so annoying).
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options

I use this scale, three years now and for an inexpensive scale it is great! I weigh everything. I wouldn't have lost 70 pounds without weighing that's for sure. When I started using it I was shocked by how much I was really eating without the benefit of knowing the exact weight.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

You do know how to use the recipe builder, right?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I got my scale on Ebay for $5.00 including shipping. I don't know the brand. It was a buy now selection.

Weigh everything.
  • Monklady123
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Nope, not yet. I haven't really investigated all the features of the food tracker yet. I also hate to cook so anything called "recipe builder" isn't high on my list. lol. (yeah, eye roll at me). I'll check it out.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Nope, not yet. I haven't really investigated all the features of the food tracker yet. I also hate to cook so anything called "recipe builder" isn't high on my list. lol. (yeah, eye roll at me). I'll check it out.

No eye rolls here, it took me a while to figure it out. Once you weigh all your ingredients and plug them into the recipe builder, you've always got that particular recipe in your personal MFP database. Anytime you make it you're ready to enter it without needing to re enter anything but your individual weighed serving. :smile:
  • nicediva007
    nicediva007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love my new scale! I'm thinking I bought one of the more expensive ones that Walmart had...it was $19. But it seems to have all the functionality that you all find useful. Thanks for all your tips!