Protein shakes?

Options
Whens the best time to have a protein shake. Ive been wanting to start having them in my diet but I dont know any good kinds or when to drink them ive always just heard great things. Im not trying to bulk at alll!!!! Im trying to get slim!

Replies

• RhodeWarrior401
    RhodeWarrior401 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to slim down, dont consume a lot of protein shakes..they have more calories than you think. Lose weight = calorie deficit. Have one after a work out.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Agreed ^^,, but there are 100 calorie shakes. Just have to shop carefully.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to slim down, dont consume a lot of protein shakes..they have more calories than you think. Lose weight = calorie deficit. Have one after a work out.

They really don't have that many calories... it's around 120~.

There is no best time for a protein shake; it's more of a convenience food or to help hit your protein goals.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options

They really don't have that many calories... it's around 120~.

There is no best time for a protein shake; it's more of a convenience food or to help hit your protein goals.

This.

They average 100-150 calories and 20-25 grams protein per scoop.

It would be wise to correct your diet so that you typically get 100% of your daily protein from whole foods. However, protein powder can be great for convenience.

Timing is inconsequential. Your muscles won't go catabolic overnight. Just be consistent with your total daily intake.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I usually have a shake as ads a morning snack because it helps curb my hunger throughout the day.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    So now I am confused.
    I was under the impression of one is working out with Weights, one should eat between 10-30 ( More or less) after the last set? IS this not true?

Also how much protein is needed for recovery? Again, I am under the impression that the body only absorbs 8 grams of protein per hour, If that is true. wouldn't that make Protein powder that has 20+ a waste?
  • sixxpoint
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So now I am confused.
    I was under the impression of one is working out with Weights, one should eat between 10-30 ( More or less) after the last set? IS this not true?

Also how much protein is needed for recovery? Again, I am under the impression that the body only absorbs 8 grams of protein per hour, If that is true. wouldn't that make Protein powder that has 20+ a waste?

No, that's a myth spread to make you buy more protein powder, different types of protein powder, BCAAs, preworkouts, intra workouts, postworkouts, etc.

It seems like everything you have heard is false. You need to relearn what you think you know.

The right amount is 0.60 to 0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight for active individuals per day. Doesn't matter what time. Doesn't matter if you have 100 grams at once or 20 grams 5 times per day.
  • daveyboi_1989
    daveyboi_1989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i thought your body could only process so much protein per hour? work out how much protein you need and try and get it out of whole foods out of 4 or so meals a day.

Personally i get up early for work and cannot stomach eggs or anything, so i make a protein shake with blue berry strawberry raspberry yogurt bananas ect.

then if i don't get enough protein from meals ill have another shake after a workout ect.

• pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have an Arbonne protein shake every morning. I don't eat breakfast so it's a good substitute for breakfast and it helps me not crave other food. It is higher calorie but the only vegan protein powder that doesn't taste disgusting LOL.
    It really depends on what else you're eating, what your goals are, when you don't have proper meals, etc. It's super easy for me to have a proper lunch and dinner but breakfasts are harder. It's a good sub for me.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    "Dietary protein ingestion after exercise increases post-exercise muscle protein synthesis rates, stimulates net muscle protein accretion, and facilitates the skeletal muscle adaptive response to prolonged exercise training."

per http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4008809/
    article from 2014

But there are other prior studies that show no signicant results with the timing
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Agree - protein carb mix within an hour or two after workout.

But I make my own, and quite frankly, it is more than 120 cals! One cup of milk, one banana, one scoop of protein powder and one teaspoon of honey is 330 cals. Add one tablespoon of peanut butter and that is another 100 cals.

I guess you can do just water and protein, but yuck. :-)

Further to the discussion there is no problem with eating a lot of protein (more than 100 grams) in one sitting but I am not sure why you would.

R
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hello friends,

If you are actually trying to slim down, then don't consume a lot of protein shakes because they have more calories than you think. You can try "bullcrap link" I tried even I suggested to my friends too and she also reduced her weight.

Thanks,
    Christina

Wow, what an absurd post.

R
  • CSWalker1234
    CSWalker1234 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fiber One makes a good 90 calorie chocolate pudding powder packet that goes good in a smoothie with a scoop of vanilla protein powder,banana,Spinach raw,almond milk.320 calories for a large shake.very good.I find I need the fiber with the protein.
  • Cor_diesel
    Cor_diesel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eating after a workout is essential, what I usually have is a medium frozen banana, 1 cup whole milk, and one serving of ovaltine ( or your preferred choice of chocolate mix, make sure that you look at the calories and sugar content in the mix).
  • gabrielsaucedo21
    gabrielsaucedo21 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    mefx0x0 wrote: »
    Whens the best time to have a protein shake. Ive been wanting to start having them in my diet but I dont know any good kinds or when to drink them ive always just heard great things. Im not trying to bulk at alll!!!! Im trying to get slim!
    Everyone has different opinions, but here's mine. Drink after a good workout, I like c4's protien shakes, also like advocare protien shakes
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like having protein shakes in the morning. They are great at keeping me full until lunch time. I got tired of them and stopped for a while but ready to add them back in again.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I drink a protein shake in the morning. I drink 2 scoops because it's around 50g protein and I can eat whatever i want during the day and hit my protein goal.

I am a vegetarian.

I only drink this because it's convineint and hassle-free. Although I just drink protein powder and water (MMM!) because i shant afford any more calories to something that i don't enjoy too much.

Edited to add: They are incredibly low in calories (100-150g protein per scoop of powder with 25g-ish protein) It's all the unnecessary crap people add that make protein shakes calorically expensive.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    The broscience...it burns....it burns...

What people don't understand is that there isn't really a limit to what you can absorb (within reason). If you eat a big high fat, high carb, high protein meal that takes 10 hours to digest, you will still get all of that. If you eat a single meal with 100g of protein, you can still absorb all of that too. You wont absorb all of it in 10 minutes, but everything will get processed at one point.

What matters is total daily intake of protein and dietary fat from all foods per day. Timing is inconsequential.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    The broscience...it burns....it burns...

What people don't understand is that there isn't really a limit to what you can absorb (within reason). If you eat a big high fat, high carb, high protein meal that takes 10 hours to digest, you will still get all of that. If you eat a single meal with 100g of protein, you can still absorb all of that too. You wont absorb all of it in 10 minutes, but everything will get processed at one point.

What matters is total daily intake of protein and dietary fat from all foods per day. Timing is inconsequential.

hence why i preload 50g protein to start my day. Works for me.