RUNNERS - Do you run on consecutive days?

Options
Do you run mon tues weds etc. or do you run every other day (mon, weds, fri etc.?
Does it actually matter?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I run 5 days a week. between 5km-16km runs.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    6-7 days a week. One long run, one tempo run, one day of speedwork, and the other days easy paced runs.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I am training for something. Otherwise I do not. Typically Monday through Thursday and a long run on Saturday.

Also, even if I am training, I listen to my body. If it says no, I skip a day.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I run at least a mile everyday. Two days a week it is done in a circuit training style workout, one day is a long run of at least a 5k or more, and one day is usually a 30 minute run. Some weeks I will try to run a mile as fast as I can to try and improve my personal record, but I am 60 pounds overweight and a slow runner so the my personal best isn't the greatest when compared to others. Oh well, I enjoy running and will keep on plugging along.

I think you need to decide what works best for you and how you can fit it in your schedule. As others have stated, listen to your body and if you need to do an easier run or skip a day to allow your body to rest then do it without feeling guilty.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I between 2-4 mile runs 4 days a weeks. The only reason I don't run every day or do longer runs is because of time constraints with work/family. I usually go to the gym before work 5 days a week but I only have a full 30 minutes, so I have to choose between running and strength training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do you run mon tues weds etc. or do you run every other day (mon, weds, fri etc.?
    Does it actually matter?

A lot depends on objectives. For me, at the moment, it's improving times on long distances so I have to run some days consequtively. Recovery is important, so rest days after my long run day and after my more intense speed sessions.

My shortest runs are 6 miles though.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long you've been running and what your goals are. I run 5 days a week/6 times a week (Sat-Mon and Wed-Thurs with two runs on Thursdays), but I've been running for many years and train for marathons. I have to run consecutive days; there's no way I'd get my mileage in if I didn't. But if you are newer to running, it is safer to run with a day of recovery in between, and having days off between running days can depend also on what you are running or training for.

Bottom line: Does it matter? Yes: depending on your goals.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    On returning to running last year I was only running 3 times a week and certainly wasn't doing much distance. Only after I'd regained some sense of form and had put a good base down did I start increasing my distance and run frequency.

Now I generally run 5 or 6 days a week but will go through 10 - 14 day stretches where I run every day. I'm aiming for between 250 and 325 km (up to 200 miles) a month with no particular goal in the near future other than to do a couple of halfs and build a base for pursuing some longer trail races.

So far I've remained uninjured but if I sense something the least bit flaring up I'll address it right away. Avoiding injury is important to me.
  • runwithtoppa
    runwithtoppa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have only just started running (again), and for the first week I ran 1/4 mile every morning during my routine dog walk. The second week I was running most days for 1/3 mile and this week (3) I am running 1/2 mile every other day.
    I start on a mile track, run at a steady pace as far as I can, then I walk the rest. I then do a 100m sprint and that's it. I rest the following day, and try again 48 hours later.

My goal is to simply build up to be able to run a mile non stop, I'd like to run a mile each morning when my body is used to it. I find the further I am running as a beginner, the more my ankles ache, so I am giving them that that chance to recover in between runs.
    I know it's early days, but I am seeing & feeling progress every time I go out, whether it is distance, duration, ave speed, max speed or pace. So I am happy to have the rest days, because I am getting better results with them.

Last year when I attempted running, I didn't take the rests seriously and thought it didn't matter. I ran every weekday and just rested on weekends. I hurt my ankles big time and was put off running for a whole year!
    This time I am not taking any risks. I enjoy my rests. They help my body to recover and adjust to the new work outs. And it is also teaching me a lot about self control and discipline, so my minds getting a work out too!

Pretty much every one I know who runs, has ran into some form of injury. From the friends who fun run for charity to the ones who do ultras. I am always seeing photos of dodgy knees and ankles on my facebook news feed :lol:

I would say, for the beginner, YES it does matter. But not so much for the experienced.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses.
    After reading the info you've all given me, I think I'll continue to have rest days inbetween my Runs.
    Thanks!
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I run Sun, Tue, Thu, Sat--about 30 mi/wk (4-6 hr/wk). Sun is my Long Run (90'-150' duration); Tue is Tempo Run (about 70'-80' duration); Thu is Intervals (about 70'-80' duration); and, Sat is a Slow pace fitness run (about 70'-90' duration).

Except for the Sat-Sun, back-to-back, runs, I'm giving myself time to recover after each run--at my age, I need the recovery time. The slow pace on Sat allows me to go into the Sun Long Run with just a slight amount of fatigue; so, it's like the Long Run is a greater distance than it actually is.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I usually try and have a day between runs. I would do resistance work, elliptical/rowing machine, walk, cycle, or swim on the in-between days, but I worry about getting injured so I try and space it out a little bit.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I ran 5-6 days a week when I was actively running.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I was running 6 days a week, so most of those consecutive, until I had a knee issue. I've had to slowly work back up and P/T now has me running no more than 2 days consecutively. That seems about right, for now!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    It is worth making clear that form, and pace, are important factors in avoiding injury. For runners aspiring to build endurance and their distance, most training runs are going to be done at a slow pace. Slower pace = reduced forces that lead to injury. Good form = reduced stresses that lead to injury.

Many new (or even returning runners, guilty here) make the mistake of pushing themselves to run at too fast a pace either long before they are ready or inappropriately for their goals.

Get form right and pace appropriate for your goals and you can markedly reduce the potential for injury even while ramping up distance to build the necessary base of volume and allow the body to adapt.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If I'm running 3 or under miles, I might run two consecutive days. Usually I run 6-8 and I don't do it every day. At the moment, I stop running once I hit 20 miles for the week (just because I am fine running half marathons for fun at that mileage). On a treadmill is a different story because the impact is not as much as outside. Everyone is different. You have to judge how your body reacts to it.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

Many new (or even returning runners, guilty here) make the mistake of pushing themselves to run at too fast a pace either long before they are ready or inappropriately for their goals.

Ugh, I hate you, lol. But really, thank you for pointing the out. I'm coming back from a knee injury, FINALLY, and I've been really, really enjoying my runs. But also, I've been really pushing myself for faster runs during my limited time for work outs. But, you're totally right, there's no reason for me to let my enthusiasm be a potential for re-injury. Thank you again @mwyvr :)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    im a new runner, i run 5 days a week. i run monday, tuesday, thursday, friday and sunday
    my week day runs are about 2 miles or less a time and my weekend run is under 3.5
    so far so good but if it didnt feel right i would skip a day
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Every runner is different. If you feel good, you can run everyday if you like. I run 6 days a week and change up my days off. I'll run a 10k 3 days in a row, then maybe a 5- 8k on the 4th day and then maybe a couple of longer runs. If you feel good and have no injuries, you can run as much as you like. Now having said that, I wouldn't recommend really long runs everyday, but say short 5k runs would be fine. If your feeling any discomfort or soreness, then maybe take a day off inbetween. It's how you feel. As you can see, everyone here posting does something different.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm a reasonably experienced runner and don't have (or need) a rest day every week. But I never do more than two 'hard' days consecutively (i.e. sessions with faster-paced running). Also, I'd been running for a couple of years before I started running more than 3-4 times a week.