Kettlebells killer - how do i record in my diary

Options
Hi... I've just completed the kettle bells killer - does anyone know how I would record this on MFP?

Replies

• dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just estimate a calisthenics equivalent. MyFitnessPal doesn't have a way to record the best fat burning exercise (kettlebells). I don't need it telling me I can eat too much more anyway.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Strength training. The calorie burn is minimal.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are primarily a cardio exercise with a side benefit of strength training. There are a bunch of variables; intensity, rest intervals, kettlebell weight, etc. Similar to strength training It's difficult to calculate the burn. You could probably take the duration of the routine and plug in the numbers for jogging or running for a ballpark estimate.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Kettlebells are primarily a cardio exercise with a side benefit of strength training. There are a bunch of variables; intensity, rest intervals, kettlebell weight, etc. Similar to strength training It's difficult to calculate the burn. You could probably take the duration of the routine and plug in the numbers for jogging or running for a ballpark estimate.

I completely disagree. This is not a cardio exercise and very different from running. You'd be way overestimating.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Well, is this a program called "kettle bells killer?" We don't know what that is. If it's a circuit training routine she can definitely be burning some calories.
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere kettlebell workouts can burn 20 calories a minute..maybe cut that per minute in half and create your own workout.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    amr32r wrote: »
    I read somewhere kettlebell workouts can burn 20 calories a minute..maybe cut that per minute in half and create your own workout.
    well Im sure that depends on the person and on how heavy the weight is and how they are being used. because I know I have never burned that many calories doing kettlebells. It can be touted as cardio,again depending on how they are being used.

• georgi_connor
    georgi_connor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Well, is this a program called "kettle bells killer?" We don't know what that is. If it's a circuit training routine she can definitely be burning some calories.

Hi - yes it's a circuit train using kettle bells between 10-15lbs (i use 12lbs)

Its 10-15 reps of each exercise with a completion of the circuit 2-3 times
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I usually log my kettlebell class under circuit training and halve the amount it tells me. But my class tends to involve cardio and body weight exercises as well.
  • georgi_connor
    georgi_connor Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Perfect - thanks everyone :) x
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    well Im sure that depends on the person and on how heavy the weight is and how they are being used. because I know I have never burned that many calories doing kettlebells. It can be touted as cardio,again depending on how they are being used.

Im aware of that .thats why i said can and considering kettlebells arent steady state cardio you wouldnt know if you ever burned that or not but thanks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Im aware of that .thats why i said can and considering kettlebells arent steady state cardio you wouldnt know if you ever burned that or not but thanks.
    how wouldnt I know if I burned that or not? I can get a rough estimate with a HRM. it may not be 100% accurate but its hard to burn 20 calories a minute for most cardio activity(unless cycling/running or something like that).if it were that easy most of us would not have to exercise as long as some of us do to see a difference and we would only need kettlebells.

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ACE fitness did a study on kettlebell training.
    https://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

how wouldnt I know if I burned that or not? I can get a rough estimate with a HRM. it may not be 100% accurate but its hard to burn 20 calories a minute for most cardio activity(unless cycling/running or something like that).if it were that easy most of us would not have to exercise as long as some of us do to see a difference and we would only need kettlebells.

HRMs are only for steady state cardio, so your burn wouldn't be accurate.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

I completely disagree. This is not a cardio exercise and very different from running. You'd be way overestimating.

With a kettlebell you can do strength-type exercises OR (resistance) cardio type exercises. Swings and snatches are particularly cardio. Turkish get-up is particularly strength, and frankly lots of kettlebell routines I've seen really just use a kettlebell as a replacement for a dumbbell (eg pullovers, chops, OH triceps extension, single leg deadlifts), and those would obviously be strength. A lot of stuff in between, like clean and press.

No one is saying "kettlebells are the same as running" but without knowing a lot about what kind of routine a person is using, frankly guesstimating the calories (just the calories: not other benefits!) as similar to slow running is probably pretty good. Would be better to know what the person is doing though.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

HRMs are only for steady state cardio, so your burn wouldn't be accurate.
    I guess what I wrote was beyond comprehension. I never said it would be accurate. show me where I said that. I also said that I have never been able to burn 20 calories a minute using them(or with any other exercise). the claims saying it burns 20 calories a minute for me is bullcrap,no matter how hard I work.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Log it as circuit training.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    ACE, thanks for the article. The downside is the poor instruction of the movements. That squatty swing (pg3) will wreck your lower back; swings have minimal knee bend, they are not squats. I like the research though.