Calories out of thin air!?!

Options
does anyone else feel like they eat like two small healthy meals and you're already at your goal for the day? Lol. I guess I never realized how many calories are in food and snacks I've eaten since childhood. And even "healthy" foods are packed with calories. Like nuts and some fruits. Vegetables just don't fill me up it seems. I'm hungry like two hours later. Idk. Just wondering if anyone else feels like they meet their goal and feel like they really haven't eaten that much. Then if I go even 10 calories past my goal I feel terrible. Daily goal is 1,200 calories.

Replies

• EiramPure
    EiramPure Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, it feels like you don't have enough, but that's because we are so used to overeating and not even knowing it. It's going to take time to reprogram your mind and stomach lol
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be an eye opener when we start to weigh everything and see just how many calories are in foods.
    Some people think just because they eat healthy that there's no reason to weigh out their meals. Even healthy foods can be higher calorie, so its very important to plan ahead and see how you can fit everything in.
    1,200 is usually very low unless someone is short, older and so on. If you find yourself losing very fast, I'd consider raising your calorie goal. ( I dont know your stats so have no idea if 1200 is appropriate for you or not )
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1200 too, deliberately set that low to force me into exercise to earn more calories. 1500 is MUCH easier; those 300 calories make a huge difference. I encourage you to find time to exercise. Walking is effective and free.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Using MFP has certainly made me more aware. I have to be SO much more careful about my food choices - I'm eating so many more veggies as a way to bulk up my meals. I always loved veggies, but I used to eat about half veggies and half meat/rice/pasta whatever (the more calorie-dense foods). Now it's more like 4/5 of my plate is veggies and 1/5 meat and I always use ~ 1 T or so of butter or oil for cooking and that's it! That's all my calories used up. I've been tracking on MFP for almost two months now and it is starting to change my mind about what my plate should look like. It's going to take much longer for me to accept that I can only eat this small # of calories. Sigh.

I totally felt like you when I first started MFP. I started out at 1300 calories a day (what was initially recommended by MFP) but after a month I went up to 1400. It was just too narrow a range for success. This gives me just enough wiggle room so I have 2 decent-sized meals and sometimes a small snack. I'll lose at a slower rate but I won't have to obsess over the components of every meal to reach my goal. And most days I seem to meet this new goal. If I can get to where I add in more exercise, that will be even better!

And when I think about what I had been eating regularly before I started MFP - it must have been 2000-2500 calories every day, so 1400 is a HUGE improvement!
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's how I felt at 1200 calories, so I reduced my weekly weight loss goals so I could eat a bit more... I also eat back half of my exercise calories... So Now I feel full and not like I'm starving half the time and upset that I'm overeating. Lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    does anyone else feel like they eat like two small healthy meals and you're already at your goal for the day? Lol. I guess I never realized how many calories are in food and snacks I've eaten since childhood. And even "healthy" foods are packed with calories. Like nuts and some fruits. Vegetables just don't fill me up it seems. I'm hungry like two hours later. Idk. Just wondering if anyone else feels like they meet their goal and feel like they really haven't eaten that much. Then if I go even 10 calories past my goal I feel terrible. Daily goal is 1,200 calories.
    Are you doing 1200 to try to lose 2lbs a week?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • newlifeme2014
    newlifeme2014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    khh1138 wrote: »
    Using MFP has certainly made me more aware. I have to be SO much more careful about my food choices - I'm eating so many more veggies as a way to bulk up my meals. I always loved veggies, but I used to eat about half veggies and half meat/rice/pasta whatever (the more calorie-dense foods). Now it's more like 4/5 of my plate is veggies and 1/5 meat and I always use ~ 1 T or so of butter or oil for cooking and that's it! That's all my calories used up. I've been tracking on MFP for almost two months now and it is starting to change my mind about what my plate should look like. It's going to take much longer for me to accept that I can only eat this small # of calories. Sigh.

I totally felt like you when I first started MFP. I started out at 1300 calories a day (what was initially recommended by MFP) but after a month I went up to 1400. It was just too narrow a range for success. This gives me just enough wiggle room so I have 2 decent-sized meals and sometimes a small snack. I'll lose at a slower rate but I won't have to obsess over the components of every meal to reach my goal. And most days I seem to meet this new goal. If I can get to where I add in more exercise, that will be even better!

And when I think about what I had been eating regularly before I started MFP - it must have been 2000-2500 calories every day, so 1400 is a HUGE improvement!

*******thanks! Yea, I get the Healthy Choice frozen meals with nothing artificial, and I make a bag of steam able vegetables depending on what the meal is and I add it to the meal, split it in two, have half for lunch and half for dinner and usually a snack like a boiled egg and string cheese or make a smoothie from frozen fruit and some orange juice with some wheat germ. Yea, I must have been eating about 2,500-3,000 calories a day. It's crazy to think of now.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Try raising it just a bit till you get can create a deficit then lower it again.
  • newlifeme2014
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

***yes. Just to kinda jumpstart myself. I'm aware of how not eating enough can make you gain weight, and on days I don't eat 1200 I can't even complete my entry. I will increase calories over time as I am able to workout more. I have a very bad back and can only walk (which I don't now because it's just too hot) so I use my elliptical, do light calisthenics and yoga. As I can do more cardio I will increase calories.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Also look into the combination of foods your rating. Some foods actually keep you from getting hungry for longer so if you combine them with the bulk of veggies maybe that will help. Avocados. Walnuts. Are two that I know stave off hunger.
  • newlifeme2014
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    It can definitely be an eye opener when we start to weigh everything and see just how many calories are in foods.
    Some people think just because they eat healthy that there's no reason to weigh out their meals. Even healthy foods can be higher calorie, so its very important to plan ahead and see how you can fit everything in.
    1,200 is usually very low unless someone is short, older and so on. If you find yourself losing very fast, I'd consider raising your calorie goal. ( I dont know your stats so have no idea if 1200 is appropriate for you or not )

**i know right. I tell my family and friends especially who have kids all the time how terrible those "healthy" foods and juices are for them. I never give my son more than 1/3 juice in his cup at a time. He gets watered down everything lol. I am very conscious about what I eat, I mainly look at calories and sugar. I am about 280lbs, 5'6". I measure everything and log it on here. Overestimate calorie intake and underestimate calories burned. It is definitely an eye opener. Thank you.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I found I couldn't eat anymore of the high calorie recipes of my childhood. Not sure why my parents weren't really overweight? I now eat a lot more stir fries and more fruit. I love my vegetables steamed. I make sure I get all my vits and minerals everyday. Still off on the carbs but I'm a diabetic so no big deal if they are low. My husband takes Healthy choices to work because they are not so full of salt like the other frozen meals. He still has to add a yogurt and more fruit to it but then his calorie count is a lot higher. I'm on a 1400 calorie to 1500 calorie diet now and a lot happier for it. I didn't last on a 1200 calorie diet. I like food and I will lose just slower. I can exercise a little more too to make up for the extra food too.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories too. Some days it's enough, but on other days I earn back some calories through exercise so I can eat more. I'm losing two pounds per week though and I only have 10-15 pounds left, so I may up my calories.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

***yes. Just to kinda jumpstart myself. I'm aware of how not eating enough can make you gain weight, and on days I don't eat 1200 I can't even complete my entry. I will increase calories over time as I am able to workout more. I have a very bad back and can only walk (which I don't now because it's just too hot) so I use my elliptical, do light calisthenics and yoga. As I can do more cardio I will increase calories.

It's not going to work so well if you burn out eating 1200 calories before you've made any real progress. As you lose weight you'll have to reduce your calories anyway, so set yourself to .5 or 1lb a week. You'll "jumpstart" yourself by having success on a healthy amount of calories, instead of punishing yourself for overeating in the past.
  • newlifeme2014
    Options
    Yes, it feels like you don't have enough, but that's because we are so used to overeating and not even knowing it. It's going to take time to reprogram your mind and stomach lol

***yea, thanks. I never really thought I ate a lot, because I rarely ate during the day, but at night I would have a big dinner and sweets. For years I've had bad back trouble and problems sleeping, so I would fill up at night before bed so I could go to sleep. And In the middle of the night when I'd wake up I'd eat something just to fall asleep. OCD comes in play here too, I have to be very careful. But now I don't eat at night, no sweets, and I try to eat something or drink a protein shake or fruit smoothie in the morning, a snack or small lunch in the afternoon and a small dinner. I eat some sugar free jello at night for my sweet tooth. I am just astounded at how many calories are in the foods I use to eat daily. It's insane.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh tell me about it :sweat:
    Nuts are a rare treat for me now although I used to eat whole packages of them (1000+ calories) in one setting.
    When I first started dieting my initial reaction to portion sizes was "are you freaking kidding me?"
    To be honest, even now when I see some meal pictures here that are actually reasonable in calories (400-500) I think to myself.. "who the heck eats only 3 strawberries" for example.

A good workaround for nuts? (no I'm not going to tell you to munch on baby carrots). Get unshelled sunflower seeds. A whole mounded cup of them is barely 300 calories and takes forever to eat.

To get over the miniscule portions compared to what I'm used to I have taken on a couple of strategies:
    - I do every other day diet (day of fasting at 500 calories and the next day at maintenance) whenever my appetite is too large for my calorie budget.
    - When I feel like I could eat a horse but it's only an odd day out and not a phase I just I introduce a large green salad with lemon or vinegar for dressing and a bowl of low calorie brothy soup. This only consumes about 100 calories of my meal budget, but by the time I'm done with the soup and salad, I'm full enough to feel good about the portions in my meal.

Here is one more thing to consider: 1200 is tough. You likely got the number when MFP asked you how much you wanted to lose and you replied 2 pounds. Why not go and manually switch that to 1-1.5 pounds a week? You will still be losing but with more food at your disposal. Trust me, the difference between 1200 and 1400 or 1500 calories is huge in terms of satisfaction and satisfaction will be really important for you because you still have a way to go. Think of it like this: what is better, losing 2 pounds a week for a month then giving up because it's too hard or losing 1 pound a week at a relaxed pace and ending up with much more loss total because you were able to stick to it for many months?
  • newlifeme2014
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    My goal is 1200 too, deliberately set that low to force me into exercise to earn more calories. 1500 is MUCH easier; those 300 calories make a huge difference. I encourage you to find time to exercise. Walking is effective and free.

***thanks! I'm planning to increase calorie intake as I lose weight and build cardio endurance. I just have to strengthen my back muscles and slowly get my back used to doing more physical work. I started out doing too much and was messed up for a few days. As I burn more calories on a daily basis I will increase my calories little by little. I use to do 65 mins on the elliptical at the gym when I lost 100lbs. Now (as I've gained 80 back over the years during severe back problems) I'm back at square one. But I love working out. I can't wait to get back where I was and more. Now I do 10 mins calisthenics, light weights, 10 mins yoga and a non electric elliptical (couple mins at a time) all at home. It's just too hot to walk especially with a 3 year old lol. He starts preschool the 1st and I'm looking into gym memberships. Thanks.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I found 1200 made me very bad tempered so I raised it (mostly to about 1300) which worked fine for me, and some of that time I hardly excersied at at all.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Two tricks I've learned:

1) daily cardio exercise
    2) make extremely large salads, and drench them with low-calorie (or, even no-calorie, like these https://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html) dressings - and proceed stuff yourself with vegetables... provided you don't throw any crazy toppings on your salad

If you do those things you'll find you end up with a lot of calories to spare
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not eating enough does not make one gain weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!