Exercise question to get 10 000 steps in :)

Options
Question for those who track steps with an activity tracker: what kinds of activities/exercise do you do to get in more steps?

Replies

• techieflowerchild
    techieflowerchild Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use cycling as well as walking. Beginning Monday I will be adding Rowing. If you use a Nike band or a Fitbit you might have to put it on your ankle to get the accurate reading. If you are using an Apple Watch it computes automatically.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm using my iPhone steps app which syncs with MFP. I wear it during my treadmill time. Basically I have it attached to me wherever I go outside my home.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...if I am short on steps I put on some music and...don't tell anyone...dance!

Sometimes I just walk/jog in place.

I live close to some shopping areas so I walk and do some window shopping.

Right now it is a 100 degrees where I live so I do a lot of it inside. I try to get in 10 to 15 minutes several times a day.
  • techieflowerchild
    Options
    I'm using my iPhone steps app which syncs with MFP. I wear it during my treadmill time. Basically I have it attached to me wherever I go outside my home.

I used the iPhone prior to purchasing the Apple Watch. I love how seamlessly it syncs!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Dance (my washing up dance I hope no one ever records, or my cooking one lol) I go for walks, the gym on the threadmill.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Dance (my washing up dance I hope no one ever records, or my cooking one lol) I go for walks, the gym on the threadmill.

Okay...I feel better now. I honestly would hate for someone to see me on some days.

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I think I have perfected the stupid dance to anything as I have two left feet and no rhythm. My salsa attempts are particularly horrific, but it helps on the steps and the heart rate lol
  • shells0715
    shells0715 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Bonny132 wrote: »

Okay...I feel better now. I honestly would hate for someone to see me on some days.
    Haha that is great because I was dancing last night to get my steps up
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Walking 5 miles to get clean drinking water.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Most of mine comes from work, as I have a highly active retail job (13,000 today for an 8-hour shift). If I don't reach it, I'll walk around the store shopping for a bit or take a walk when I get home. On my off days I try to get a 4.5-mile walk (a bit over 10,000 steps) in.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I do 60 mins of vigorous cardio with a 80 to 90% steady heart rate on the elliptical, and walk 5 miles on some of my rest days. But I don't go by steps I go by heart rate on the days I work out. 15 minutes will give you the same benefits as getting 10K steps

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm
  • techieflowerchild
    Options
    I had not thought of dancing! Guess it is time to dig into my iTunes collection. thanks for the tip!
  • shells0715
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great tips and ideas on getting steps :)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I walk, usually takes me ~80 minutes to get 10K steps in (I have a sedentary job, computer work, barely budge for 8 hours).
    - I walk outside or on my treadmill, jog in place while waiting for the microwave or during commercials on tv. -Usually I'll jog while nuking "Growing Oatmeal", gives me a good 15 minutes without thinking.
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/askhg/show/housewalking-daily-steps
    -I bought a rebounder...put some tunes on or the music channel on tv and the steps add up.
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When I am low on steps, I walk around my backyard while talking on the phone!
  • shells0715
    Options
    That's a good idea :)
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'll do laps around my house or walk in place while doing the dishes or folding laundry. I just walked 5000 steps while shopping in the mall.
  • shells0715
    Options
    walking around shopping does give you a lot of steps!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk!! Walk in place, park further away and walk, get to work even a few minutes early and walk, walk at lunch, walk the hallways or steps at work, walk the perimeter of whatever store you may go to. B)