Pain and Discouragement - Right Hip

Options
2»

Replies

• starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for the support, the wonderful suggestions, and the overall advice to give the hip a rest for a while until I know what's going on. I really, really appreciate it.
  • makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've also had some helpful experiences reducing hip discomfort with... a tennis ball or lacrosse ball).

These are essentially a self-massage approach, putting the ball on the floor, then applying your weight ...and holding the pressure at tender points. I was taught specifically what to do by trainers or massage therapists, but there are lots of instructions or videos on the web. .

I have piriformis syndrome which sounds exactly like your problem. I went to the doctor, who said it sounded like arthritis - but then he sent me for an xray which showed it was definitely not arthritis, but he had no idea what it was. I tried all kinds of stuff including osteopathy and chiropractic, but it was a yoga teacher who finally suggested what was wrong and showed me how to use a tennis ball to "massage" it. Now I lie down on the floor or in bed, put the tennis ball under my buttock in a painful spot, then leave it there for a count of 20 - then I move around until I find another sore spot and leave it for 20 counts again, and so on. I find it really does help.

You'll find various suggestions for exercises on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=piriformis+syndrome+exercises