adipex-p??

Options
anyone taken this before? my doctor put me on this today. he told me to only take half the pill. He also put me on a 1000 calorie diet. i started out weighing 297 and now down to 224. I am not sure why he gave it to me. I work out 5x a week an hour a day. I have heard ppl take it and do great but i read the reviews on this meds. and it scared me. i am also 5'4" and i am 27.

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Use the search function- There are other threads on this.
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ok....
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    anyone taken this before? my doctor put me on this today. he told me to only take half the pill. He also put me on a 1000 calorie diet. i started out weighing 297 and now down to 224. I am not sure why he gave it to me. I work out 5x a week an hour a day. I have heard ppl take it and do great but i read the reviews on this meds. and it scared me. i am also 5'4" and i am 27.

You're 224lb and your doctor put you on a 1000 calorie diet? Is your doctor a certified dietitian/nutritionist too? If not, don't listen to advice and get a second opinion.

I'm pretty sure that doctors are given around 8 hours in nutritional advice during their 5 year degree or something like that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor!
  • Supermom883
    Options
    i thought i was making good progress....but guess not...idk
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

1000 calories is not healthy at all.

1200 calories is the minimum for females.

1500 is the minimum for males.
  • Supermom883
    Options

thats what i thought to and i have been eating 1200 since feb.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

thats what i thought to and i have been eating 1200 since feb.

So I assume you are female then.

1200 might be a bit too aggressive, but that's just personal preference and is relative to everyone. Just continue to eat in a deficit, eat back your exercise calories. I'm not entirely sure why your doctor prescribed adipex-p (phentermine) if you're losing weight fine by yourself?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Remember that half of all doctors graduated in the bottom 50% of their class - you don't have automatically take the conclusions or advice of one doctor to heart. Did you ask him why he prescribed the pills? Does he know about your loss to date?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Remember that half of all doctors graduated in the bottom 50% of their class - you don't have automatically take the conclusions or advice of one doctor to heart. Did you ask him why he prescribed the pills? Does he know about your loss to date?

Whaaaaaaaaat; that's actually pretty insane. I guess they have to be relatively intelligent to become a doctor.. but 50% at the bottom of their class???
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

It sounds like you're doing pretty great without it. 70+ lbs is awesome! I'm not a medical expert, but your doctor sounds a little sketchy. Of course, I don't know the full context of your relationship with him/her, either.

I'm in a situation where I need to switch doctors. I walked in to my current one, he looked at my chart and told me my weight was a little too high, I should be concerned, I need to focus on getting healthy, and that I should follow his dietary advice.

Well, he totally ignored the part where I told him I'd already lost 75 (at the time) and am working on the last bit using a sustainable calorie deficit. Seriously - in one ear and out the other. He didn't care that I had lost - all he cared about was that I still need to lose more. I'm sure if I went in after losing the 10 I have since my last appointment, he'd probably credit his own advice for the loss.

My point being - sometimes it's worth getting a second opinion.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Just because he prescribed it doesn't mean you have to take it... Sounds like you're doing well on your own without the pills. Keep up the great work and look for a new doc!!!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Ha... I see what you did there. ;)
  • jusme1977
    jusme1977 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take it. I did after I had my daughter and it caused supra ventricular tachycardia. I am now on medicine to slow my heart rate down since my resting heart rate was 186 beats per minute.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yeah hopefully you find a good doc. I had a "doctor" at so called "medical weight loss" who had me on like 800 calories at 6 feet tall. I was always sick working out. Sure i lost weight, but those calories were not enough to survive on
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was at my doctor complaining that i had 20 odd pounds to lose? And bam! He wrote out a script for phentermine. I foolishly took it too, and I lasted around month before I couldn't handle the side effects any more..
  • MiraMira0702
    MiraMira0702 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was at my doctor complaining that i had 20 odd pounds to lose? And bam! He wrote out a script for phentermine. I foolishly took it too, and I lasted around month before I couldn't handle the side effects any more..

What kind of side effects did you have? Also did you stop cold turkey? I am currently on it and it's not really helping me lose weight and it's making my thinking different....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    killerkia wrote: »

What kind of side effects did you have? Also did you stop cold turkey? I am currently on it and it's not really helping me lose weight and it's making my thinking different....

I had mood swings, cried at the drop of a hat, was very depressed, had really bad constipation. Managed maybe a few restless hours of sleep every single night, I was just a walking zombie.
    My husband and I starting bickering constantly, I was an argumentative cow :disappointed:

Those pills literally turned me into the opposite of myself! I don't know why I copped the brunt of all those side effects, as many don't. It's just completely tainted my views on diet pills...

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options

It is truly scary the amount of times this med. is prescribed.....even for those who are doing well losing weight on their own or for those with only small amounts to lose.

I'm in Aust. just like you Christine and accompanied my husband who is in the process of re-losing weight the 1st thing the Doc. offered was phentermine..... FWIW.....he needs to lose about 40 lbs. I'm glad I spend so much time reading on these forums because the information here has made me very aware of the potential for outright harm from phentermine and probable yo-yoing once you come off the med.

We said about our involvement with a calorie counting site and that hubby planned to increase his exercise etc etc but the Doc followed up with ....

"But this drug is perfectly fine, recommended by Pharmacists, had trials done on it's effectiveness." Basically talked about how good it was and when we declined he then offered him the one that stops fat being absorbed, its name eludes me at the moment, but the one that can have embarrassing pants type consequences if you eat too much fat.....the whole appt. was an eye-opener and in all honesty in every other way he is an excellent Doc and very knowledgeable but on this matter he was going with some drug rep. hocus-pocus.

To the OP.....please take care. Read other threads about this drug and the effects it can have. Be very careful if you do take it. For my 2 cents you are doing very very well on your own and have your head screwed on in a much better way than your Doc. particularly seeing that 1000 calorie idea is foolish. Also just keep reading and learning from MFP....it is a terrific resource and you will find many very successful people here who are more than willing to share their ideas and help you should you need guidance.

All the best.