Kids now calling me BIG MOMMA!!!

zaza1000
zaza1000 Posts: 10 Member
edited August 2015 in Getting Started
I'm a mother of 5 and my boys told me just the other day "momma, we gonna start calling you BIG MOMMA!" I knew then that it was time for a change! I want my life back, not only for me but my husband and children also. I'm 27 at 230 pounds and my goal weight is 175. At 170 last year I reached my goal weight loss, I just couldn't lose anymore. My husband and co- workers said I looked like skin and bones, but I was still considered obese under medical weight guidelines, I guess I have heavy bones! After I found out I was unexpectantly pregnant with my 5th child (my 4th boy) I went on a eating spree and gained 70 pounds. Now he's 3 months and I'm ready to start a new weight loss journey. This time I refuse to give up no matter what comes my way! (no more children anytime soon either!) it's just so hard to start all over when I have to cook for so many in my household....

Replies

• Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    feel free to add me, I started at 232 pounds and now at 184 working my way down to 150-140 pounds. mom to 3 boys
  • damarilisscc
    damarilisscc Posts: 6 Member
    Keep going. :) you can do it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    You can do it !! I started around that weight and am 135 now :) so it can be done ! Remember cico always and you'll be fine !
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 299 Member
    I can relate, I have 6 kids, so we have a household of 8. It's really a challenge sometimes to find healthier ways to eat and meals to prepare for everyone. Those prepackaged noodle mixes were a staple in our meals for dinner. I cut them out and replaced it with another veg, so it's meat and two veggie sides now. Every so often, I'll do garlic bread or something with it but now the kids think that's a real treat when I make it. I also weigh and measure my portions and theirs to make sure they're eating the right amounts. My diet is a little different than theirs so I have that to manage also since our nutrition goals and requirements are different. I also have them on a multivitamin as well as myself. It's a challenge too because processed and easy foods are cheaper than healthier options. I've been trying to shop the perimeter of the store and avoid the PopTarts aisle and chips and cookies. I have a loving relationship with junky food, and it became clear that if this was going to happen, that had to get out of my house because one cookie quickly turns into 5 for me, so we have healthier options for that too. I love to bake and I would make alot of cookies and cake and etc but I can't do that anymore for that reason. In my case, I had to modify everyone's diet some because I was changing mine and I have a binge eating problem, so everyone had to 'suffer'. For me it's portion control and my fitness pal really keeps me in check. Good luck with your journey and you can add me if you like. ☺
  • zaza1000
    Thanks a lot and I will start replacing processed foods with healthier foods! I'm sure the whole household will see a difference and I'm hoping that cutting out those processed foods will help children's hyperness also! Thanks a lot!
  • zaza1000
    I may not have the support where I live, but Ladies you all are awesome for the support that you give! I'm sooo happy this app is available!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited August 2015
    zaza1000 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot and I will start replacing processed foods with healthier foods! I'm sure the whole household will see a difference and I'm hoping that cutting out those processed foods will help children's hyperness also! Thanks a lot!

Replacing processed foods with what you think is "healthy" is a personal decision-just remember, when it comes to weight loss it's about LESS food. Getting a food scale and weighing out and logging the foods you already eat and learning how to incorporate them, and possibly some new foods to help you meet your calorie goal better, is a great first step as well.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    ^^^ This.
  • zaza1000
    Thanks! I'm on my way to get a food scale and i will try that out! I always wondered how to use a scale in the kitchen (always just to weight myself lol)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    You have 5 kids!! I think you are amazing lady!!!! <3
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Welcome back. You've got this!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Thanks! I'm on my way to get a food scale and i will try that out! I always wondered how to use a scale in the kitchen (always just to weight myself lol)

Great idea. The food scale is a wonderful investment.
  • zaza1000
    psych101 wrote: »
    You have 5 kids!! I think you are amazing lady!!!! <3

Thanks!!!! Appreciate that psych101!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Yes get a food scale and weigh everything and log accurately

You can do this

And I hope you are teaching your kids that personal jokes / comments on body appearance, including weight, are hurtful
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    What's going on in big mommas house today?? Hahah jkjk
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited August 2015
    You'll be grand lass :-) Just weigh and learn about the macros :-) Everytime you're tempted by a piece of leftover or a nibble on something that you haven't accounted for, just think of those two words - Big Momma - and decide which you want more :-)

ETA: Love your hair and you have a beautiful smile :-)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

Replacing processed foods with what you think is "healthy" is a personal decision-just remember, when it comes to weight loss it's about LESS food. Getting a food scale and weighing out and logging the foods you already eat and learning how to incorporate them, and possibly some new foods to help you meet your calorie goal better, is a great first step as well.

+1

I lost while eating half-portions of potato chips. (Not having them in the house at all wasn't an option!)

A food scale is inexpensive and is a lifesaver if you like calorie-dense foods like avocado and peanut butter.
  • zaza1000
    MrsMizart wrote: »
    You'll be grand lass :-) Just weigh and learn about the macros :-) Everytime you're tempted by a piece of leftover or a nibble on something that you haven't accounted for, just think of those two words - Big Momma - and decide which you want more :-)

ETA: Love your hair and you have a beautiful smile :-)

Thanks for the compliment and I will!!!!
  • zaza1000
    Thanks everyone I can do this! The first day was the hardest but now I'm looking forward to tomorrow's accomplishment! And I Always tend to give up after slipping one time, by saying "oh I will just start again next Monday...." Not this time from the threads I have learned that I don't have to starve myself to lose weight, but do make sacrifices (like cutting my meals in half) and have the will to live healthier! ( and also feel great mentally!!)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    You got this. I have 2 boys. I started at 232 (I'm only 5'3") I got down to 186 and then I gained back to 195lbs because I got some exercise injuries and was still eating and drinking like I was exercising daily. I'd like to be closer to 100 than 200. Seriously, even at 149 I would be so stinking happy. Feel free to add me.