Almond Milk vs Dairy Milk

Options
I would like to know your experience in the weight loss journey when using the two. Thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Eliminating certain foods does not make you lose weight.

You have to maintain a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. Food choices are irrelevant.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread made me hungry (Dairy Milk is a chocolate bar in the UK).

Picking one over the other would only make a difference for weight loss if one option was much lower in calories. No reason to give up cow's milk if you don't want to. You could go from whole to skimmed, if the difference doesn't bother you and you want to save a few calories.
  • tinyfruitprincess
    tinyfruitprincess Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Almond milk! It actually could help you lose weight because it's less calories then skimmed milk which mean's you're taking in a few less calories.
    Cow's milk is disgusting and harmful to the cows. ( They steal the babies from the mother so they can make your gallon of milk. How nice? :( )
    Not to mention there are over 10 thousand pus cells in ONE serving of milk.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    there's no difference in weight loss per se, but almond milk have less calories compare to dairy milk, and I got used so much to my almond milk that I don't really miss dairy milk, I use it to do my smoothies and I prefer my vanilla almond milk for taste factor.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Almond milk! It actually could help you lose weight because it's less calories then skimmed milk which mean's you're taking in a few less calories.
    Cow's milk is disgusting and harmful to the cows. ( They steal the babies from the mother so they can make your gallon of milk. How nice? :( )

basically
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    As others have said, calories are what matter for weight loss so neither is going to make you lose more weight than the other. But almond milk is lower in calories so you may find that helpful. I personally don't like regular milk so I always use almond. The upside of regular milk is that it has more protein.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I keep unsweetened and chocolate almond milk in the house now. I like to use the almond milk when I make a smoothie - I'll do 1 portion of milk and then twice that in almond milk or something similar. Doesn't much affect the taste and lowers calories. I'll mix the chocolate almond milk with my 1% milk, again for the lower calories overall.

If you like the taste and want to save some calories, go for it.

~Lyssa
  • Harleyb87
    Harleyb87 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk and its way less calories
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Emutinda wrote: »
    I would like to know your experience in the weight loss journey when using the two. Thanks

Makes no difference.

Almond has fewer calories, but I can't imagine the calories from one's use of either are that significant that it's going to make a huge difference in your day.

Dairy has benefits that almond does not, like protein, if you care about that.

I've found it helpful to weight loss to increase my protein at breakfast and include protein in any snack, and dairy has helped with those goals. (I don't actually ever use milk, so I mean cottage cheese and greek yogurt, mostly.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Getting protein in the am doesn't make you lose weight independent of calories.

Drinking almond milk doesn't cause you to gain weight. (Calories do.)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I gained weight drinking my coffee with almond milk instead of dairy milk.
    A friend told me that I eliminated the PROTEIN from my diet.
    Ever since I make sure I get some protein in the a.m.

^^ huh? #ScratchingMyHead
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that I eliminated the PROTEIN.
    Explains why I was always grazing and having uncontrolable hunger.
    Unless you're drinking lattes, I can't imagine you're getting enough protein from the milk in your coffee to make a difference in your appetite later.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that I eliminated the PROTEIN.
    Explains why I was always grazing and having uncontrolable hunger.

You eliminated maybe 2 grams of protein. This did not cause uncontrollable hunger.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Love it. It's so low cal so completely guilt free. I don't like it by itself, but in recipies, cereal, oatmeal, with chocolate mix, etc, it's fantastic.
    May not be as much protein (but there are millions of other ways toget protein, so you all should chill up there ^^) but it does have more calcium
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There are also white blood cells ( what you call "pus cells") in breast milk. What's your point?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    whatever helps you stick to your caloric deficit. Whether that is whole milk (160 calories per cup) all the way down to unsweetened almond milk (30 calories per cup) You find what fits.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Wow- people liked my post.
    I should be clear.
    I used 1 entire cup of milk in my giant coffee.
    1/2 milk , 1/2 coffee.
    Almond milk 1 gram of protein.
    Skim milk 8 grams of protein.
    It was making a difference in my appetite. Very sure of it.
    Protein seems to be such a new secret to me, that at 10 a.m. I eat 22 almonds.

so?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

not really. The homogenization and pasteurization processes make store bought milk safe and you're not going to get sick from drinking them.