Almond Milk vs Dairy Milk

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    I sometimes put both 10% cream and unsweetened almond milk in my coffee to cut calories - saves a bit, while keeping the taste. I like the flavour it adds, actually, and I'm not into flavoured coffee.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    One is milk, one is ground up almonds processed to the point that the liquid looks like milk.

In terms of weight loss, if you stick to your calorie goal, it makes no difference. With almond milk you could use more of it, because the calories are lower for a similar serving size. I use both, but prefer actual milk.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Unfortunately lactose intolerant so I can only have nut milk. But I actually prefer silk cashew milk to almond now that I have tried both. Not sure how it affects weight loss but my tummy is much happier without dairy. Sadly I love cow milk products. Just learning to enjoy the nut milks instead.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Emutinda wrote: »
    I would like to know your experience in the weight loss journey when using the two. Thanks

I had to give up regular milk to help keep my carbs <50 grams daily and tried almond milk. It was OK but too much trouble since I just used it in my coffee. I moved to heavy whipping cream (36% butter fat - 813 calories per cup) for my coffee since it is considered sugar free. I eat some cottage cheese that has some sugar but a lot of fats and I also eat some cheese so I am not dairy free but get few carbs from it.

Actually I eat this way for pain management because it works well. Weight loss and the curing of my IBS are side effects.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    edited August 2015
    I would like to know your experience in the weight loss journey when using the two. Thanks

I have no experience in my weight loss journey using almond milk - since I never use it.

Using skim milk, I successfully lost to my goal weight and then maintained at that.

However one could substitute ' skim milk' for anything else I consumed regularly eg I successfully lost weight using bananas, I success fully lost weight using weetbix etc - the key isn't any of the things in themselves but the total calories amount.

• Emutinda
    Emutinda Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks for your feedback I appreciate.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I only swap them out when I have to account for calories- I prefer cow milk- but I'll drink almond milk- makes for a good thick shake.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Almond milk! It actually could help you lose weight because it's less calories then skimmed milk which mean's you're taking in a few less calories.
    Cow's milk is disgusting and harmful to the cows. ( They steal the babies from the mother so they can make your gallon of milk. How nice? :( )
    Not to mention there are over 10 thousand pus cells in ONE serving of milk.

^^ Things vegans say...

*shaking my head*

OP, it doesn't matter as long as you don't have a specific allergy/condition or overconsume past your means.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Wow- people liked my post.
    I should be clear.
    I used 1 entire cup of milk in my giant coffee.
    1/2 milk , 1/2 coffee.
    Almond milk 1 gram of protein.
    Skim milk 8 grams of protein.
    It was making a difference in my appetite. Very sure of it.
    Protein seems to be such a new secret to me, that at 10 a.m. I eat 22 almonds.

I'm still confused how 7 grams of protein can actually change your appetite. It's seems to be so little. Also, almond milk generally has less calories per cup than even skim milk.

22 almonds? So, between 30 and 35 grams.

None whatsoever, but weight loss would only be determined by CICO.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Chasity6 wrote: »
    Unfortunately lactose intolerant so I can only have nut milk. But I actually prefer silk cashew milk to almond now that I have tried both. Not sure how it affects weight loss but my tummy is much happier without dairy. Sadly I love cow milk products. Just learning to enjoy the nut milks instead.

Me as well!

Have you tried Lactaid? It's pretty darned good.

I also love cashew milk and coconut milk. I'm not too keen on Flax milk.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I did up a table comparing the milks and milk replacements. The big difference with the milk replacements is that they are much lower in protein. Calcium is about the same or higher.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAzjWFHRPPZNJNm_rfNZqfUbLyMm-obA-aadT7kydk/edit?usp=sharing
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Almond milk! It actually could help you lose weight because it's less calories then skimmed milk which mean's you're taking in a few less calories.
    Cow's milk is disgusting and harmful to the cows. ( They steal the babies from the mother so they can make your gallon of milk. How nice? :( )
    Where do you get your information from, because I would question it?

OP, I drink regular milk because it taste better and has protein. The only almond milk I like was sweetened which eliminated the calorie difference between skim and almond. Neither will help you lose weight.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    As others have stated, calories in vs calories out, unless you are drinking multiple servings on milk daily, won't make much of a difference. I prefer almond/coconut milk for personal ethical reasons..but hey, that's just me.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Chasity6 wrote: »

Me as well!

Have you tried Lactaid? It's pretty darned good.

my family just did a switch over to lactaid a few weeks ago, the 2% variety. It has a nice taste, and does not upset my extremely sensitive stomach. I hear the off brands of lactose free milk are awful, but cant confirm. My grocery store only carries one lactose free dairy milk, and that is lactaid 2%.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    before we switched I was using almond milk, and the kids got normal milk, and I got tired of buying all the different milks, trying to use them up before they went off, etc. Everyone in the house agrees lactaid rocks.
  • Emutinda
    Emutinda Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks again guys.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member

They do not "steal baby cows from the mother." Dairy farmers need calves, and healthy calves, to make the next generation of milk. Or sometimes to sell to other dairy farmers. It would be like burning cash. Sheesh. If you want to actually learn about farm practices, go talk to a farmer, and avoid whatever website is passing out this ridiculous nonsense.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    I've actually recently read (and heard) that there is very little 'almond' in almond milk...had no clue.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Flax milk just sounds disgusting.

I like coconut milk, and would like to try making some cashew milk, it sounds delicious.

(Unfortunately I don't actually drink milk--I'd have to make a protein shake to use it.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've actually recently read (and heard) that there is very little 'almond' in almond milk...had no clue.

Well, if you think about it, if there was more almond it would have more calories than dairy, not less--almonds are calorie dense.