Almond Milk vs Dairy Milk

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I also love cashew milk and coconut milk. I'm not too keen on Flax milk.

Flax milk just sounds disgusting.

I like coconut milk, and would like to try making some cashew milk, it sounds delicious.

(Unfortunately I don't actually drink milk--I'd have to make a protein shake to use it.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I've actually recently read (and heard) that there is very little 'almond' in almond milk...had no clue.

Well, if you think about it, if there was more almond it would have more calories than dairy, not less--almonds are calorie dense.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Flax milk just sounds disgusting.

I like coconut milk, and would like to try making some cashew milk, it sounds delicious.

(Unfortunately I don't actually drink milk--I'd have to make a protein shake to use it.)

Flax milk has no taste. None whatsover, so it is disgusting to me.

Cahsew milk is mmmmmmm.......
  • tinyfruitprincess
    tinyfruitprincess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Almond milk! It actually could help you lose weight because it's less calories then skimmed milk which mean's you're taking in a few less calories.
    Cow's milk is disgusting and harmful to the cows. ( They steal the babies from the mother so they can make your gallon of milk. How nice? :( )
    Not to mention there are over 10 thousand pus cells in ONE serving of milk.

^^ Things vegans say...

*shaking my head*

OP, it doesn't matter as long as you don't have a specific allergy/condition or overconsume past your means.

Well it's the truth. Why is it seen as me being ridiculous? Because you think I'm lying? Oh so they pasteurize the milk and you're ok with drinking it but you don't care how they get the milk? You'd rather live in the dark and pretend like cow's just happily roam around and get milked?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Almond milk! It actually could help you lose weight because it's less calories then skimmed milk which mean's you're taking in a few less calories.
    Cow's milk is disgusting and harmful to the cows. ( They steal the babies from the mother so they can make your gallon of milk. How nice? :( )

Well this post is ridiculous and wrong on so many levels.. However to answer your question. Almond milk is lower in calories, you give us some protein and some fat in it. It is very healthy for you though so long as you maintain your calories. Track your calories and get yourself a good balance of protein, carbs, and fats. There are many sites that will help you based on weight and activity get your calories and macros down.
  • tinyfruitprincess
    tinyfruitprincess Posts: 15 Member
    Options

They do not "steal baby cows from the mother." Dairy farmers need calves, and healthy calves, to make the next generation of milk. Or sometimes to sell to other dairy farmers. It would be like burning cash. Sheesh. If you want to actually learn about farm practices, go talk to a farmer, and avoid whatever website is passing out this ridiculous nonsense.

Um, yes they do. They make the mother pregnant, she has the baby and they TAKE the baby away from the mom right away. That's sick. But, oh, you gotta have YOUR milk, right?
    You don't see how gross that is?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

They do not "steal baby cows from the mother." Dairy farmers need calves, and healthy calves, to make the next generation of milk. Or sometimes to sell to other dairy farmers. It would be like burning cash. Sheesh. If you want to actually learn about farm practices, go talk to a farmer, and avoid whatever website is passing out this ridiculous nonsense.

We raised goats when I was growing up, and I never developed a taste for cow's milk. I lost my taste for goat's milk too. I have no problems with dairy that comes from small family farms that treat the animals well like we did. However, while @tinyfruitprincess is not delivering her message well, she is correct about how dairy is conventionally produced.

Dairy's Dark Side - the Sour Truth Behind Milk

Far from leading the carefree lives portrayed in the dairy industry's "happy cow" commercials, the vast majority of cows used for dairy production today lead lives of deprivation, confinement, painful mutilations and cruel handling. These curious and intelligent animals are denied access to open pasture and treated as mere milk-producing machines — forced to live on manure-coated concrete floors in overcrowded sheds.

A new Mercy For Animals investigation is pulling back the curtains on the largest dairy factory farm in New York State — Willet Dairy in Locke. In early 2009 an MFA undercover investigator worked at the mega-dairy, secretly documenting egregious acts of animal cruelty, including neglect, with a hidden camera.

Evidence gathered during the investigation reveals:
    • Cows with bloody open wounds, prolapsed uteruses, pus-filled infections, and swollen joints, apparently left to suffer without veterinary care
    • "Downed" cows — those too sick or injured to even stand — left to suffer for weeks before dying or being killed
    • Workers hitting, kicking, punching, and electric-shocking cows and calves
    • Calves having their horns burned off without painkillers, as a worker shoved his fingers into the calves' eyes to restrain them
    • Calves having their tails cut off — a painful practice opposed by the American Veterinary Medical Association
    • Newborn calves forcibly dragged away from their mothers by their legs, causing emotional distress to both mother and calf
    • Cows living in overcrowded sheds on manure-coated concrete flooring
    • Workers injecting cows with a controversial bovine growth hormone, used to increase milk production

In a joint statement, internationally renowned experts, including Dr. Bernard Rollin, an expert witness on animal welfare issues in the U.S. and abroad, and Dr. Temple Grandin, a world-renowned cattle welfare expert and advisor to the USDA, compared the conditions documented at Willet to the infamous Hallmark slaughterhouse, where undercover video exposing abuse of downed cows resulted in the largest beef recall in US history. They state, "This dairy presents at least as bad a picture of the industry as does Hallmark."

New York veterinarian Dr. Holly Cheever bluntly stated, "It is my professional opinion that the environment that this dairy provides as well as its cattle-handling techniques are improper, unhygienic, dangerous, and inhumane."

Despite the overwhelming evidence that the dairy operation repeatedly violated New York's animal cruelty laws, which was meticulously compiled by Mercy For Animals and presented to the Cayuga County District Attorney, the law enforcement agency refuses to uphold the state's laws to protect animals — allowing abuse to continue at Willet, unchecked.

Sadly, the inhumane conditions uncovered at this factory farm are not isolated. Whether raised for meat, dairy or eggs, animals used in food production are frequently subjected to appalling confinement, mutilations, brutal handling and slaughter. Because agribusiness values profit over ethical principles, cruelty to animals continues to run rampant on factory farms.

• kpark0818
    kpark0818 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you have a dairy problem, then Almond milk may be a way to go. I cannot eat Dairy (unless it is a very, very small amount) and have to drink Almond Milk. On the other hand, I would probably go for dairy milk because of protein content that Almond milk lacks.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    try to avoid drinking your calories also check this out and decide for yourself http://time.com/3967752/almond-milk-lawsuit/
  • ldrosophila
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

not really. The homogenization and pasteurization processes make store bought milk safe and you're not going to get sick from drinking them.

beat me to it but instead of pus cell say white blood cells and bacteria

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Almond milk is especially tasty with steak.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Chasity6 wrote: »
    Unfortunately lactose intolerant so I can only have nut milk. But I actually prefer silk cashew milk to almond now that I have tried both. Not sure how it affects weight loss but my tummy is much happier without dairy. Sadly I love cow milk products. Just learning to enjoy the nut milks instead.

Me as well!

Have you tried Lactaid? It's pretty darned good.

I love Lactaid whole milk. It's my favorite. In Chai tea, it's incredibly rich and delicious. I bought a milk frother and my home version tastes just like buying it from the coffee shops, if not better.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Um, yes they do. They make the mother pregnant, she has the baby and they TAKE the baby away from the mom right away. That's sick. But, oh, you gotta have YOUR milk, right?

They'd be taking the baby away anyway- calves are eventually weaned- it's what's normal.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

They'd be taking the baby away anyway- calves are eventually weaned- it's what's normal.

Maybe the cow's name is Lysa.
  • Gozergirl
    Gozergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Does Almond Milk last longer in the fridge? My milk is always going bad because I dont drink it fast enough...
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Gozergirl wrote: »
    Does Almond Milk last longer in the fridge? My milk is always going bad because I dont drink it fast enough...

Pasteurized organic milk. I don't know what witchcraft they do to this dairy product, but I swear it will outlast all mankind. Ok exaggerating a little bit, but even though it's a little more expensive if you don't go through milk fast it really saves throwing out milk all the time. I like Horizon's
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I don't have a problem with "eventually" and "normal," but that's not what is done in conventional dairy practices:

http://woodstocksanctuary.org/learn-3/factory-farmed-animals/cows-for-dairy/

...Separation of cows and their calves is an unavoidable fact of milk production on all farms, big or small. Cattle are highly social creatures, and in natural herds, the most important and lasting relationships are between mothers and their young. The powerful bond between mother and calf persists long after the calves have matured, with mothers and their offspring remaining together as grazing partners for years. But on dairy farms, calves are forcibly taken from their mothers within a few hours of birth. This cruel separation is highly traumatic for both of them:

“The very saddest sound in all my memory was burned into my awareness at age five on my uncle’s dairy farm in Wisconsin. A cow had given birth to a beautiful male calf…On the second day after birth, my uncle took the calf from the mother and placed him in the veal pen in the barn—only ten yards away, in plain view of his mother. The mother cow could see her infant, smell him, hear him, but could not touch him, comfort him, or nurse him. The heartrending bellows that she poured forth—minute after minute, hour after hour, for five long days—were excruciating to listen to. They are the most poignant and painful auditory memories I carry in my brain.” Michael Klaper, M.D.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Gozergirl wrote: »

Pasteurized organic milk. I don't know what witchcraft they do to this dairy product, but I swear it will outlast all mankind. Ok exaggerating a little bit, but even though it's a little more expensive if you don't go through milk fast it really saves throwing out milk all the time. I like Horizon's

lactaid is also ultra-pasturized, like organic milk, to last a nuclear fallout.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options

kshama2001 wrote: »

We raised goats when I was growing up, and I never developed a taste for cow's milk. I lost my taste for goat's milk too. I have no problems with dairy that comes from small family farms that treat the animals well like we did. However, while @tinyfruitprincess is not delivering her message well, she is correct about how dairy is conventionally produced.

Dairy's Dark Side - the Sour Truth Behind Milk

Far from leading the carefree lives portrayed in the dairy industry's "happy cow" commercials, the vast majority of cows used for dairy production today lead lives of deprivation, confinement, painful mutilations and cruel handling. These curious and intelligent animals are denied access to open pasture and treated as mere milk-producing machines — forced to live on manure-coated concrete floors in overcrowded sheds.

A new Mercy For Animals investigation is pulling back the curtains on the largest dairy factory farm in New York State — Willet Dairy in Locke. In early 2009 an MFA undercover investigator worked at the mega-dairy, secretly documenting egregious acts of animal cruelty, including neglect, with a hidden camera.

Evidence gathered during the investigation reveals:
    • Cows with bloody open wounds, prolapsed uteruses, pus-filled infections, and swollen joints, apparently left to suffer without veterinary care
    • "Downed" cows — those too sick or injured to even stand — left to suffer for weeks before dying or being killed
    • Workers hitting, kicking, punching, and electric-shocking cows and calves
    • Calves having their horns burned off without painkillers, as a worker shoved his fingers into the calves' eyes to restrain them
    • Calves having their tails cut off — a painful practice opposed by the American Veterinary Medical Association
    • Newborn calves forcibly dragged away from their mothers by their legs, causing emotional distress to both mother and calf
    • Cows living in overcrowded sheds on manure-coated concrete flooring
    • Workers injecting cows with a controversial bovine growth hormone, used to increase milk production

In a joint statement, internationally renowned experts, including Dr. Bernard Rollin, an expert witness on animal welfare issues in the U.S. and abroad, and Dr. Temple Grandin, a world-renowned cattle welfare expert and advisor to the USDA, compared the conditions documented at Willet to the infamous Hallmark slaughterhouse, where undercover video exposing abuse of downed cows resulted in the largest beef recall in US history. They state, "This dairy presents at least as bad a picture of the industry as does Hallmark."

New York veterinarian Dr. Holly Cheever bluntly stated, "It is my professional opinion that the environment that this dairy provides as well as its cattle-handling techniques are improper, unhygienic, dangerous, and inhumane."

Despite the overwhelming evidence that the dairy operation repeatedly violated New York's animal cruelty laws, which was meticulously compiled by Mercy For Animals and presented to the Cayuga County District Attorney, the law enforcement agency refuses to uphold the state's laws to protect animals — allowing abuse to continue at Willet, unchecked.

Sadly, the inhumane conditions uncovered at this factory farm are not isolated. Whether raised for meat, dairy or eggs, animals used in food production are frequently subjected to appalling confinement, mutilations, brutal handling and slaughter. Because agribusiness values profit over ethical principles, cruelty to animals continues to run rampant on factory farms.

Mercy for Animals is a group that strongly promotes veganism and vegetarianism by pretty much any means necessary. Their "undercover investigations" consist of having their members hired by targeted farms, and then committing or goading other employees into committing acts that are against the rules of their employers, so that they can film them. Again, if you REALLY want to know about farming, then go and find out. To demonize the people who actually live with and take care of these animals every day is simply uninformed. Otherwise, this getting very off topic, and I don't think this is what the OP wanted to know