4 pound weight loss per week

Hello everyone,

I don't usually start topics (except once in the introduction forums), I prefer reading and replying to existing ones, and sometimes I find the answers I was looking for in topics started by others. But in this case here, I am a bit freaked out.

First a little background.
You can skip directly yo my issue if you wish.

I started my fitness journey mid-March of this year (so 5 months) and have lost so far roughly 15 lbs. The main goal behind my journey was to get fitter, healthier, lose the few extra pounds I had gained, and feel confident in my own skin again. I started as a size 8 (was even getting tight), and 5 months later I wear a 6 comfortably.

I don't follow any crash diets, or even any specific other diet. All my weight and fat loss so far is due to my exercizing, which I do 5 to 6 times a week depending on the week, which I guess must creat a deficit. I joined this online community to learn to eat healthy, as I am lacking in this area.

I am currently 160 lbs and my goal weight is about 125, but since I workout a lot and gaining muscle, I'd be happy with just one more dress size down (size 4), regardless of weight.

Now here is my issue

I am in the August weight loss challenge, and as someone who doesn't lose weight very quickly, I joined mostly to keep me motivated and to have something to look forward to. The first week I lost 1.4 lbs and felt amazing. The second week, I didn't lose anything much but that was typical for me. Now in the third week, I stepped on the scale and realized that I had lost 4 lbs (3.9 to be exact) in just a few days.

This freaked me out because I do not lose weight that fast and always heard that fast weight loss is quite unhealthy and can even cause terrible side effects such as hair loss. Something is telling me it could also be water loss, but I'm never seen such a dramatic difference on the scale before in just a few days.

Should I be worried about this or wait to see if it becomes a weekly trend, or just attribute it to water loss and move on? Is there a possibility it could be fat loss within such a short time frame? I don't know if any of you out there have experienced this before. Please share your experience and/or your opinions with me.

Kind regards,
Tatiana

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Assuming you're eating at a moderate, not severe, deficit, I wouldn't worry about it. Weight loss is not linear. Just as you may have weeks with no loss, you may have weeks with large losses.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    One week with a big drop like that isn't something to be concerned with, even if you've been losing weight for a while.

Did you eat fewer carbs and/or less sodium than usual? Where are you in your monthly cycle?

Also, when did you notice the drop and how long has it been?

Sometimes I'll see a drop in my weight (I'm maintaining right now) and every single time I can attribute it to something like fewer carbs or a change in how much water I've been drinking.

If this happens again next week, then maybe something's wrong but I wouldn't worry yet!

~Lyssa
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    During the weeks when I'm losing, I can whoosh down 3, sometimes 4 lbs, even though I have MFP set to 2 lbs per week. It's just how my body is. I usually only lose 1 lb or less the next week, or sometimes I plateau for a week. As I get lower and lower in weight, these plateau periods become more and more frequent. The drop from 210 down to 200 has been taking me a really long time--still haven't gotten past the 201 mark yet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    People wig out too much about losing weight too quickly. LOTS of people lose in whooshes. It happens. Don't worry about it. Be happy. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    People wig out too much about losing weight too quickly. LOTS of people lose in whooshes. It happens. Don't worry about it. Be happy. :)
  • tabl_23
    tabl_23 Posts: 46 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

I have become an addict to "My 600 pound life". I was watching it last night and this lady lost 168 pounds in TWO months! The doctor didn't seem to be concerned....even tho she was starving herself and only ate Jell-O cups....long story short....she got the bypass surgery and continued to lose weight at a healthy rate. Was at nearly 200 lbs by the 12 month mark (started around 600 lbs). I honestly don't know what point I was trying to make here...lol. Just thought it was interesting that the doctor didn't get after her for her diet.....instead he was proud of her....weird.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    See if it happens for 2-3 weeks, if it continues, speak to your medical professional. Their are also apps out their that averages weight loss over time, and for the last 7 days, month year and over time etc.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Are you taking in enough nutrients ? If yes then be happy.
    If you don't know and the rapid weight loss continues then log your diet and find out.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear.
    Don't be surprised if you bounce back up a couple pounds.
    It's normal.

Also, if you're eating at a deficit, it's unlikely you're putting on muscle.
    And most weight loss is done at the table, not the treadmill. Much easier not to eat 400 calories than to exercise it away.