Not strictly a diet question...

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It can, but won't necessarily. often there are underlying issues that need to be dealt with...losing weight does not fix those underlying issues.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'll be the downer here. Lost 50 pounds and have kept it off and still have zero self esteem. It's not a magic fix. It won't repair you if something is broken inside. If anything I'm more awkward and uncomfortable now because people pay attention to me. Sometimes I wish I was still overweight so I could be invisible again.

Debbie Downer, over and out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lifting improved my self esteem!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'll be the downer here. Lost 50 pounds and have kept it off and still have zero self esteem. It's not a magic fix. It won't repair you if something is broken inside. If anything I'm more awkward and uncomfortable now because people pay attention to me. Sometimes I wish I was still overweight so I could be invisible again.

Just smile and say, "Thank you" when you are complimented. And I bet you are receiving a lot of them. And deserve every single one! Don't ever, ever wish you were still overweight! Surely you feel better now than you did before?
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    I'm 51 and made the decision two years ago to start my health journey. I went from 243 pounds down to 191 -- (size 22 to a size 16 for me) and, while I still have about 30 pounds to go, I feel fabulous! Part of that comes from working with my trainer to build muscles and tone so that i look even healthier. For me, it has been a bit of a snowball effect -- the more I lose and tighten, the more I want to lose and tighten more...Just remember, that no matter what, you are worth MORE than your body size/weight!
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I feel much much better about myself post weight loss :)
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I'm struggling with this! !!!!! Some days yeah, I feel fantastic! Then I get the hey you look fabulous now and I'll get all awkward and self conscious and wearing the clothes that fit , that i was just loving, feels scandalously revealing and uncomfortable!
    I'm down about thirty five pounds since February. So not much time to get used to it.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 57 and single after a bad breakup almost 2 years ago (which helped pack on more lbs). After a year-plus pity party, I decided to get it together. I have lost 52 lbs since Jan 19. I am finding that the time I'm spending going to the gym, fitness classes, long walks & hikes plus meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking really helps fill the otherwise lonely evenings & weekends. Keep up the great work!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It improved my self-esteem in the sense of, "Hey, look at this hard thing I accomplished." It hasn't improved my body image as much as I had hoped, but I still have a ways to go.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    50andfabu wrote: »
    For those of you who have lost some weight already, did it help improve your self-esteem?

I have had a bad 24 hours in terms of eating and I'm sure it's because of stress and feeling not good enough, comparing myself to others and losing as I'm a 50 year old divorced fat woman. My thinking is that if I can lose enough to go down one size I will start to feel better, stay motivated and the snowball effect will start.

OK pity party ending...back at it tomorrow. But please tell me losing weight does help with this!

Divorced? Isn't that like losing 180 (give or take) of unwanted pounds right away? :) Just stay the course, you'll find yourself feeling better as you start feeling better physically.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    The first 20 pound loss was a game changer then every 10 pounds after that. It was slow at first for me because I am a slow learner.