Brown Rice vs White Rice

which is better? Brown rice has more calories

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I don't eat white. Brown has more fiber, tastes better, and more filling so I eat less
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Eat the one you like. Nutritionally they are very close.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Both are good for you in moderation... I eat rice rice because it's usually cheaper.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Read the labels, check the nutrition information, and decide which fits best in your personal goals.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

You are not a better or healthier person for eating brown rice in the end. Like another person said, they are very similar nutritionally speaking. Taste-wise, white is better.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Thanks guys, it is so good to know I dont have to eat brown rice! I love white rice especially Jasmine
  • half12345
    half12345 Posts: 51 Member
    I was surprised by how close brown and white rices are to each other, nutritionally speaking. The way people rave about the virtues of brown rice, I was expecting some miracle food.
  • Use either. White rice is a great fast burning pre-workout carb to fuel your performance.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    half12345 wrote: »
    I was surprised by how close brown and white rices are to each other, nutritionally speaking. The way people rave about the virtues of brown rice, I was expecting some miracle food.

LOL brown rice not my taste, no matter how many times I've tried to flavour it and it takes so long to cook! I havent got all the time in the world to cook.

• LisaTx972
    LisaTx972 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks everyone! This has help me tons.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Mean.
  • LisaTx972
    LisaTx972 Posts: 8 Member
    ?
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    I thought brown had more fibre and protein and lower GI than white?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I don't eat white. Brown has more fiber, tastes better, and more filling so I eat less
    Subjective. I think white rice tastes better and the fiber isn't hardly significant between the two.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Difference is negligible- eat which one you like and think tastes better.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Brown is better. I just prefer the taste of white. I have yet to figure out a way to make brown rice taste good enough for me to enjoy eating it. I'm not done, though. Haven't given up yet! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Subjective. I think white rice tastes better and the fiber isn't hardly significant between the two.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Ditto.

There difference is 2g of fiber for a cup of rice or something.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I like the taste of brown better for most dishes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Meh - depends on what I'm doing with the rice. I can't really eat either one plain, so if I'm making a stir fry with a "brown" sauce, something soy based, I find it works well with brown rice. If I'm making a red curry coconut sauce, or more of an indian sauce, I usually like basmati. If I'm making burrito bowls, I usually go with traditional short grain white rice with cilantro and lime juice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Meh - depends on what I'm doing with the rice. I can't really eat either one plain, so if I'm making a stir fry with a "brown" sauce, something soy based, I find it works well with brown rice. If I'm making a red curry coconut sauce, or more of an indian sauce, I usually like basmati. If I'm making burrito bowls, I usually go with traditional short grain white rice with cilantro and lime juice.

I'm the same way.

I actually don't eat much rice since it usually doesn't add enough to the dish for me to be worth the calories (unless I'm trying to up carbs for workout purposes and then white might be even better). I like brown just as well (I think because I'm not really a rice or pasta connoisseur I find brown/whole grain and white just about the same in terms of how tasty they are), but in certain dishes various sorts of white work better or just seem more right (traditional).

The nutritional differences are minor.