Intermittent fasting / Refeed / Macros

Options
Hey all

So I'm doing IF 16:8 which I enjoy doing. In a week and a half I lost 6lb, lost 0.5% body fat and increased muscle by 0.3% so a good start!

As it stands I am:

5ft 8
14st

16 ; 8 intermittent fasting - eating between 2 and 10pm.

Macros are approx...
1700 cals
100g carbs (20%)
60 fat (35%
190 protein (45%)

Heavy weight training 5days a week, football (soccer) 1 day a week for an hour (if it's cancelled I go in the gym.) , one rest day. Was going to start doing HIIT sprints after my weight sesh a couple of times a week too for 5-10 mins?!

I have read I should prob up my carbs and reduce fats?

Was thinking if changing it to...

35% carbs
45% protein
20% fat

I decided to throw in a cheat day at my mates BBQ thinking it would drop my stored water, it didnt!

I had a couple of small beers and then went to Sambucca and diet lemonade (sounds strange I know but I like the taste and its minimal cals and carbs). Had plenty of meat, and other foods which weren't too good for me
According to the scales the next day I put 3lb on, the following day I am still up 2lb!!!

how long does it take to see the weight loss? Or did I overdo it?!

Any tips on my % / refeed / training etc is appreciated.

Apologises if this thread is in the worn place, this is my first post

thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't like to work in percentages for macros...
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

No need for a refeed.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like that you are getting decent amount of protein. I have carb set below 50 and increased my fats to 100 or so but sourced from good fats. I think the ratios you have are fine. You can increase the fat and decrease fat it wont make a major difference. The main thing is to keep protein above 150 grams the rest you can play with. Have a look at my diary if you want.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My bigger question is why are you eating that little. 1700 for a fairly active male is a bit low. You are 2 years younger, 3" shorter but 20 lbs heavier and I am losing at 2300-2500 calories and we have equivalent exercise routines.

Protein - ~160g
    Fats - ~ 60g
    Carbs - the rest

Also, the huge weight loss in the first week is from cutting calories, reductions in sodium and reductions in food in the GI track. That is normal, so don't get too excited. Also, you probably didn't gain any muscle because, on 1700 calories, it is very unlikely to gain muscle, as you really need a surplus of calories to need to be overfat (which you are not). I would suspect, it's the device that you are using. If you are using a bioimpedance (handheld or scale), your hydration level is affecting the numbers. It doesn't really matter though, just realize that they can be vastly wrong and you shouldn't hold much credibility into those numbers.

Overall, you gained a lot of weight probably from the additional sodium and the additional food in your GI track. Give it a few days and it should stabilize.
  • nubin1
    nubin1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    interesting, thanks .

I lost a couple of stone a few years back and did it at around 1700 cals, rightly or wrongly i have gone back to it. its difficult as you read so many different things on the internet that contradict each other.

I presumed it was cos of what you said; Overall, you gained a lot of weight probably from the additional sodium and the additional food in your GI track. Give it a few days and it should stabilize.

was a bit of a shock but hopefully it will begin to drop again.

As you have pointed out, im going to set my P & F and use rest of cals for Carbs;

P - 170 (190 seemed a little high)
    F - 60 - 65
    C -rest of cals

will see how it goes :#
  • nubin1
    Options
    ibnfaqir wrote: »
    I like that you are getting decent amount of protein. I have carb set below 50 and increased my fats to 100 or so but sourced from good fats. I think the ratios you have are fine. You can increase the fat and decrease fat it wont make a major difference. The main thing is to keep protein above 150 grams the rest you can play with. Have a look at my diary if you want.

IS that not too high for Fat? i think if i did all this exercise im doing on 50 carbs i would pass out!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, I would increase calories to start as well. At this point, you want to ensure you can maintain as much lean body mass as possible... something that is harder to do with a larger deficit.

Also, if you aren't using a food scale, then I would pick one of those up.
  • nubin1
    Options
    Yeah i use a scale, i measure everything!

I will slowly increase my cals as time goes on

thanks