Maintaining weight, how to avoid late night snacks?

Options

Replies

• Detroitcity86
    Detroitcity86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you tried peppermint tea, or maybe some kind of chai? You can get chai tea bags and you don't have to add milk. If you like it sweet, one teaspoon of sugar isn't going to ruin your diet.
    Yeah i actually have peppermint tea in the kitchen, i keep forgetting about it lol. Thanks for the reminder!

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I allot calories to the evening because otherwise I would be hungry when I go to sleep. I usually eat some cottage cheese mixed with peanut butter - I know it sounds gross but I like it. The protein and fat keeps be full all night. If I have extra calories I will eat a little dessert too.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Low sugar hot chocolate really helps me. Even after I have an after dinner snack I sometimes want more (like a whole bag of cookies instead of just one) but if I make a cup of hot chocolate it fills me right up and cuts the sugar cravings.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    New to maintaining weight, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
    As Others have said work a snack into Your calories for the Day. I am working at losing more so I do 1800 calories a day and 150 of those calories are in the evening around 9:30. That works for me. One choice would be snack packs of Pretzels, Popcorn etc. I saw one at Walmart yesterday where the different snacks were all 140 to 160 calories per, Most were 150. Or look at the small Microwave Popcorn, I have some Orville Redenbachers Mini 100 calorie bags from CostCo on the shelf. Or Use a Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. They run a good amount of protein and only 80 calories per container. They are all delicious, I use them for Dessert with my Lunch and Dinner as a tasty treat.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat a high volume, low calorie dinner at about 350-400 calories, leaving 200 for after dinner.
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Like others have said, I allot calories to the evening because otherwise I would be hungry when I go to sleep. I usually eat some cottage cheese mixed with peanut butter - I know it sounds gross but I like it. The protein and fat keeps be full all night. If I have extra calories I will eat a little dessert too.
    Wow i never heard of mixing cottage cheese w/pnut butter lol yuck lol,but i do like cottage cheese, that sounds like a good night time snack! Thanks!

• Detroitcity86
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    New to maintaining weight, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
    As Others have said work a snack into Your calories for the Day. I am working at losing more so I do 1800 calories a day and 150 of those calories are in the evening around 9:30. That works for me. One choice would be snack packs of Pretzels, Popcorn etc. I saw one at Walmart yesterday where the different snacks were all 140 to 160 calories per, Most were 150. Or look at the small Microwave Popcorn, I have some Orville Redenbachers Mini 100 calorie bags from CostCo on the shelf. Or Use a Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. They run a good amount of protein and only 80 calories per container. They are all delicious, I use them for Dessert with my Lunch and Dinner as a tasty treat.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Thanks! (not really a popcorn fan) I may try the pretzels & yogurt ☺

• Detroitcity86
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I eat a high volume, low calorie dinner at about 350-400 calories, leaving 200 for after dinner.
    Thanks! I may try that

• Detroitcity86
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    Low sugar hot chocolate really helps me. Even after I have an after dinner snack I sometimes want more (like a whole bag of cookies instead of just one) but if I make a cup of hot chocolate it fills me right up and cuts the sugar cravings.
    Thanks! Yeah i love hot chocolate!

• bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I complete my diary entry right after dinner (or even after I've weighed the raw components and it's cooking). For me that's an incentive to not eat more because it's nice to see the total and the "if every day was like today" message at the bottom.

You could do similarly but just pre-log a healthy snack and then complete the day's entry. Once you see the total calories for the day that are in range, you feel proud and don't want to lose that feeling by adding more. At least that's how it is for me.

Also, sometimes I still feel like I need a dessert or evening sweet because I'm still in the mindset that your dinner isn't complete without one. But when that happens, I just make sure I plan ahead and have a dessert/snack option that fits in my calorie budget (as others above said). What I did was buy great quality but suuuper dark chocolate (Ghirardelli Midnight Reverie for me). It took me a while to get used to it and I had to take small bites because the flavor was so intense, but once I adjusted to it, regular chocolate tastes horribly sweet to me and I can't eat more than like 30g of it anyway. Plus, with just two flat squares of the really dark chocolate, it was so strong that my chocolate craving was satisfied.

Good luck!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wow i never heard of mixing cottage cheese w/pnut butter lol yuck lol,but i do like cottage cheese, that sounds like a good night time snack! Thanks!

I thought it sounded gross too. I heard about this on a bodybuilding forum and tried it out and I love it now!
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    bkate24 wrote: »
    I complete my diary entry right after dinner (or even after I've weighed the raw components and it's cooking). For me that's an incentive to not eat more because it's nice to see the total and the "if every day was like today" message at the bottom.

You could do similarly but just pre-log a healthy snack and then complete the day's entry. Once you see the total calories for the day that are in range, you feel proud and don't want to lose that feeling by adding more. At least that's how it is for me.

Also, sometimes I still feel like I need a dessert or evening sweet because I'm still in the mindset that your dinner isn't complete without one. But when that happens, I just make sure I plan ahead and have a dessert/snack option that fits in my calorie budget (as others above said). What I did was buy great quality but suuuper dark chocolate (Ghirardelli Midnight Reverie for me). It took me a while to get used to it and I had to take small bites because the flavor was so intense, but once I adjusted to it, regular chocolate tastes horribly sweet to me and I can't eat more than like 30g of it anyway. Plus, with just two flat squares of the really dark chocolate, it was so strong that my chocolate craving was satisfied.

Good luck!
    Thanks! That's actually a good technique

• misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that loves to eat late/snack late so I don't try to avoid it. My evening meal is typically the largest meal I eat all day & I usually make sure there are several hundred cals leftover after it for dessert/late snacks. I normally get well over 50% of my entire daily calorie intake between 7-11:30pm.

Eating late isn't a bad thing as long as it fits your overall calorie goal as opposed to being additional calories that you eat after already reaching your goal for the day so if that is when you enjoy eating I would say don't avoid it, just fit it in.
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    misschoppo wrote: »
    I am one of those people that loves to eat late/snack late so I don't try to avoid it. My evening meal is typically the largest meal I eat all day & I usually make sure there are several hundred cals leftover after it for dessert/late snacks. I normally get well over 50% of my entire daily calorie intake between 7-11:30pm.

Eating late isn't a bad thing as long as it fits your overall calorie goal as opposed to being additional calories that you eat after already reaching your goal for the day so if that is when you enjoy eating I would say don't avoid it, just fit it in.
    Thanks! It's nice to know im not alone lol

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you are an evening snacker, then just plan it into your day. Save enough calories to allow for a small serving of whatever it is you like whether its fruit, chips, nuts, popcorn, whatever. Just be sure you plan it into you day and you will be fine.
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    If you are an evening snacker, then just plan it into your day. Save enough calories to allow for a small serving of whatever it is you like whether its fruit, chips, nuts, popcorn, whatever. Just be sure you plan it into you day and you will be fine.
    Thanks!

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my food every morning and allot for snacks. I usually have a Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle Bar for dessert. Tonight I am having two. Each is only 100 calories. After dinner I complete the day's entry and do not allow myself anything I haven't logged for the day.
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I pre-log my food every morning and allot for snacks. I usually have a Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle Bar for dessert. Tonight I am having two. Each is only 100 calories. After dinner I complete the day's entry and do not allow myself anything I haven't logged for the day.
    Thanks! & I'll give one of those truffle bars a try!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I save around 300-500 calories for my evening snacking :smiley: I eat whatever I darn well fancy as long as it fits into those calories or thereabouts :smile:
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    I save around 300-500 calories for my evening snacking :smiley: I eat whatever I darn well fancy as long as it fits into those calories or thereabouts :smile:
    Thanks!