Do you take vitamins?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No.
    And I am confused by this thread. Neither calcium not iron are vitamins.
  • runwithtoppa
    runwithtoppa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I was diagnosed with anaemia and needed iron tablets and b12 shots, but recently all my levels checked back out, so I no longer need them.
    I was borderline with my iron, so I would take iron tablets during periods if I haven't got enough from food. To help keep my levels topped up.

However, since I decided to start eating more healthy and do more activities, I thought it would be worth while taking some multi vitamins designed for females. It is more a short term safety net. Once I gain more knowledge and become more aware of the nutrients I need and what I am getting, I will ditch the multi vitamins.
    Probably is a waste of money as I am a healthy fit young lady, but right now 19 pence a day for a few weeks/months wont break the bank.

However, looking at the levels of each vitamin on the box, some are around 900% my daily needs and others just 25%. Which makes me feel it is more a gimmick.

As an example.
    The magnesium in the multivitamin is at 25% my daily need. And doing a spot of research on the internet.. my previous diet would have put me in the category of low magnesium intake. Not only that but I the stuff I was eating/drinking would have been reducing my magnesium levels further. My heavy intake of carbonated drinks, full of phosphates, would have been binding with the little magnesium intake and rendering them useless.
    I note eye twitches are one sign of low magnesium... that might have explained the long periods of eye twitching I used to get then....

I would be foolish to think taking multivitamins long term would be healthy, especially if I was taking them because I wasn't eating a healthy variety of foods to gain all my nutrients. But for a short term until I gain more knowledge, it will help to keep my mind at rest and my body stores stocked in some areas.

And if you'll excuse me, I am going to find out what foods are high in magnesium *twitches eye*

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I was diagnosed with anaemia and needed iron tablets and b12 shots, but recently all my levels checked back out, so I no longer need them.
    I was borderline with my iron, so I would take iron tablets during periods if I haven't got enough from food. To help keep my levels topped up.

However, since I decided to start eating more healthy and do more activities, I thought it would be worth while taking some multi vitamins designed for females. It is more a short term safety net. Once I gain more knowledge and become more aware of the nutrients I need and what I am getting, I will ditch the multi vitamins.
    Probably is a waste of money as I am a healthy fit young lady, but right now 19 pence a day for a few weeks/months wont break the bank.

However, looking at the levels of each vitamin on the box, some are around 900% my daily needs and others just 25%. Which makes me feel it is more a gimmick.

As an example.
    The magnesium in the multivitamin is at 25% my daily need. And doing a spot of research on the internet.. my previous diet would have put me in the category of low magnesium intake. Not only that but I the stuff I was eating/drinking would have been reducing my magnesium levels further. My heavy intake of carbonated drinks, full of phosphates, would have been binding with the little magnesium intake and rendering them useless.
    I note eye twitches are one sign of low magnesium... that might have explained the long periods of eye twitching I used to get then....

I would be foolish to think taking multivitamins long term would be healthy, especially if I was taking them because I wasn't eating a healthy variety of foods to gain all my nutrients. But for a short term until I gain more knowledge, it will help to keep my mind at rest and my body stores stocked in some areas.

And if you'll excuse me, I am going to find out what foods are high in magnesium *twitches eye*

Don't you have this backwards? Eating more healthy would mean less need for supplements, right?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I take "one-a-day women's" brand multivitamin, because I dont eat red meat, or much iron fortified food. Its a painless way to get that iron in.

It also contains B vitamins, which are important for me, as I have an absorbtion issue, and must consume MORE B-vits than the average person to meet my RDA.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I take a multivitamin or vitamin E.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I eat my nutrients. Multivitamins are pointless if you don't have a deficiency and if you don't know how your body processes vitamins.

^^ Exactly. I used to take a multivitamin, just because, but after discussing it with my doc, he convinced me it wasn't necessary. I finished the bottle I had and won't buy any more unless there's a specific medical reason for it.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just started taking fish oil and I'll pop an iron supplement a few times per week. I have no clue if they are doing anything but I have to say, I did not struggle as much during my period this month and I think the increased iron helped.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    No, I don't take multi-vitamins.

I do take an iron supplement most days. I'm a regular blood donor and have found I need the supplement to keep on top of my body's iron needs.
  • runwithtoppa
    runwithtoppa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Don't you have this backwards? Eating more healthy would mean less need for supplements, right?

That is what I thought when I changed my eating habits, and multivitamins never even crossed my mind!
    Then I looked at my new eating habits and realised I was not getting quite as many nutrients as I thought.
    I had flash backs of B12 shots and 3 iron tablets a day... so I went into panic mode and brought some multivitamins.

I'm well known for being impetuous, and I'm cool with that.

When I see my new eating habits being more balanced with vitamins, I will ditch the vits :smile:

• emereey
    emereey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was having muscle spasms/cramps/twitches pretty regularly (and I'm well hydrated) so I started taking magnesium and potassium. I take them a couple of times a week.
  • kallemann67
    kallemann67 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I went shopping for a quality multi vitamin
    yesterday. I stood in the aisle reading the %RDA amounts of each supplier. It was then a flag went up when I saw +350% and more. Came home and did some research and came across this article http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/07/the-vitamin-myth-why-we-think-we-need-supplements/277947/

and this one

http://www.doctorsresearch.com/articles4.html

I'll be thinking long and hard about my investment in them.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Doctor-ordered B12 supplements (I have an uptake deficiency), it runs in my family (both mother and sister are on supplements, one pills and the other shots). I'm not vegan or vegetarian and I love me some red meat, I just don't (apparently) absorb it well. /shrug
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I swear by them, but that's my personal opinion. I know a lot of people are completely opposed to adding vitamins to the daily regimen. I have a health condition and the holistic treatments include a variety of vitamins and supplements that have improved the way I feel greatly. Some people say it's just creating "expensive pee" though, ha! To each their own :)