Runners, I need advice!

Options
I just got back from a trip to WI where I did a 5mile run on very hilly roads. I live in a flat area so this was a bit of an extra challenge. And now my foot is hurting me. It feels like I pulled a muscle in my foot. Is that even possible? It's sore to walk on but not really painful to the touch. No swelling or anything and it's sore but not excruciatingly so. Any runners ever experienced this before? I'm soaking in Epsom salts now. Yes, I can go to the doctor but I hate to take a half day off work to be told to rest and use ibuprofen. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Replies

• carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Is it worse after resting? I had plantar fasciitis and a heel spur which felt pretty awful. It will feel very sore under your foot, like it's under your arch up to the ball of your foot. It was worse after resting, and I had to ice it and roll a tennis ball under my foot, do arch exercises and stretch my calves as often as possible.
    I saw a Dr, who ordered an xray and confirmed the spur (calcification of the tendon where it joins the heel bone). He was useless and basically ordered pain management.
    I saw a Physiotherapist who did some ultrasound treatment and showed me some stretches - I only saw the Physio twice because i did as I was told and it got better! I kept my feet warm and wore good supportive shoes, always warmed up (stretched with a towel) before getting out of bed...

Your experience could be something else, but that's what I had!

• half12345
    half12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This is the first day that it's hurting so I will see how it feels in the morning. I probably can find the stretches for plantar fasciitis online.mmaybe I will just try them and see how it feels. I hate going to a doctor!
  • heyyoutoo
    heyyoutoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I recently developed foot pain from running which led to my first ever trip to a podiatrist. I assumed it was PF, and had started doing the stretches, but was diagnosed with metatarsalgia, or inflammation of the metatarsals. For me, the pain was in the ball of my foot.

Icing, especially after running, including rolling the foot on a frozen water bottle, and ibuprofen (if you can take it) helped me very quickly.

With all those hills, the change in foot mechanics may have simply caused you some inflammation too. I am not a doctor, but if it keeps up you should see one. Foot pain and running is a bad combo.

-Insert standard advice about making sure you're running in the correct shoes, and that they are not too worn out.

Good luck, hope you're feeling better.
  • half12345
    Options
    The pain is better today. Yay! I think ice, rest, ibuprofen and wearing comfy sneakers all day should help.
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    heyyoutoo wrote: »
    Icing, especially after running, including rolling the foot on a frozen water bottle, and ibuprofen (if you can take it) helped me very quickly.

This. The frozen water bottle has saved me many times. Also, make sure you are wearing good shoes all the time, not just while running. Sandals with no arch support, etc do a lot of damage over the summer months.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    An alternative school of thought is that you should spend more time walking barefoot. Personally I think there is something to it.

I've become a convert to a more minimalist style of running shoe despite having a long history of wearing "motion control" / stability shoes to counter pronation tendencies.

In any case addressing the pain with ice, anti-inflammatory if needed, as suggested is a good plan for dealing with the symptom. Since you've experienced this you'd be well advised to look up strengthening exercises for your feet to avoid recurrence.
  • half12345
    Options
    I've been living in a pair of crocs this summer but I noticed that they are completely worn down. The soles are shot, the ankle strap is kinda stretched. I think they may have contributed to my problem.
  • half12345
    Options
    Feet strengthening exercises won't hurt either! Thanks for the suggestion.
  • deannster1
    deannster1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread! I've been dealing with similar pain, but have just been trying to stretch it out. Looking forward to trying some of these other tips.