How do you get back on track after a vacation?

Options
2»

Replies

• ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It's clear, after taking a beach Vaca for a week, having the same worries, that once you're back, and get back into the swing it comes off if you gain. I also made healthier choices. I also gained 3 lbs. o also went on total shutdown eating whatever whenever. But it's coming off now I'm back don't worry. Live
  • titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support
  • titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Checked again this morning and was only up .6. I used to get discouraged after a vacation and give up. I have just learned that if you get back on it then there is minimal damage.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I went on a 3 month vacation a cruise, then visited lots of countries. About 5 lb up on my return home, mainly water. I did a curiosity weigh in the day of my return, then a real weigh in 3 weeks later, all back to normal. I think once I was back in my own environment, all my usual habits just fell into place.

What I find harder is when my sister and BIL come for a visit from the UK. He is a wonderful chef and takes over the kitchen for 3 weeks. Oh my, once they are gone it is so hard returning to my regular food. He makes the most decadent grand marnier chocolate mousse that I crave for weeks.

Cheers, h.
  • mimigingerbread
    mimigingerbread Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find getting back to the healthy routine difficult.... Lots of snacking at night on vacation. Gonna be tough to go without it this week but it's gotta be done. Don't want to be derailed from my progress!!
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    titotito48 wrote: »
    That is very encouraging that you lost what you'd gained after one week. I hope that is true in my case

All our bodies are different but I'm sure any gains from your vacation were water weight if not for a pound or two. Getting back on the wagon can be hard. Don't beat yourself up over it. Instead, I hope you got back on and were able able to continue to be successful.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Do not overthink it. If any damages has been done, it's done. Plenty of water, exercise, healthy amount of healthy food and you're good to go!
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation for a week back in June and didn't really workout much, except for walking around town and one day of hiking. Plus, I didn't really watch what I ate on vacation at all, and found that it didn't derail me that much. I just got back to my regular routine when I got back.
  • 0505jen
    0505jen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know my whole summer so far has been over indulging. I know if I keep it up it will result in gaining all of my losses. This is motivation for me to get back on track today!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Why is this in "Success Stories?" o:)
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just back myself but I did weigh in. Gained 1 kg. It is what it is. Back in the saddle now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I get back on track exactly the same as I go on track in the beginning. Set goals and stick to them.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just gained around 3 lbs. on a vacation where I didn't track, but it's already coming off. A lot of the weight is water weight and sodium, especially if you're eating at restaurants every day. I flew back first class on Saturday, and you can bet I didn't reject any snacks, meals, or cocktails on that flight! I've heard flying also adds some water retention. The irony -- hubby lost 6-7 lbs. this week. He is overweight and in a sedentary job where the admin brings in donuts, pastries, etc. every day, and on vaca, we just had 3 square meals a day, no snacks, and ate breakfast in our unit every day because we had cooking facilities, and made ourselves sandwiches to pack for lunch. We also spent most of the week hiking and walking around. So on vacations, he gets way more activity and actually eats less (gives you an idea of the typical unhealthy corporate American lifestyle). I usually gain because I'm small and my calorie allotment is so small that unless I keep a tight rein on things, I'll gain. Most restaurant meals exceed my daily calories, so eating at a restaurant even once a day usually puts me over. I know folks on MFP will say stick to salads and lean chicken in restaurants, but there was a gourmet Italian restaurant on site where we ate twice, and since we were in AZ, of course we tried some local cuisine -- Mexican and barbecue, which aren't exactly lo-cal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!