Shin Splints and Leg Workouts

Options
Ok - so I've come down with shin splints and it's improving ever so slowly. I've replaced my running with spinning/cycling but I've cut out all strength workouts for my legs - just as a precaution.

I am itching to do some leg workouts but don't know if I should. Is it OK to do dead lifts (light weight), squats (light weight) and lunges when you have shin splints? I am wondering because these exercises are low impact.

Thank you.

Replies

• ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Try changing your technique. Look up "Barefoot running". I've been experimenting with this myself, and I can tell you there's a WHOLE world of difference! When I'm running "correctly" for this technique, I don't have to worry about my shin splints at all! All other strength training I haven't had a problem with.
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    I use to get them all the time playing tennis in High school. I found I was able to continue with my daily routine, but I had to ice my shins before and after and tape my legs up to my knees almost. It was a HUGE pain to do every day, but it was worth it to be able to continue to play without pain.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Try changing your technique. Look up "Barefoot running". I've been experimenting with this myself, and I can tell you there's a WHOLE world of difference! When I'm running "correctly" for this technique, I don't have to worry about my shin splints at all! All other strength training I haven't had a problem with.

I've heard the barefoot running advice...and would like to try soon but only when I'm 100% . Are you barefoot running with shin splints? Isn't that painful?
  • live4turns
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on running and treatments but my question was more geared towards weight lifting -
  • live4turns
    Options
    I use to get them all the time playing tennis in High school. I found I was able to continue with my daily routine, but I had to ice my shins before and after and tape my legs up to my knees almost. It was a HUGE pain to do every day, but it was worth it to be able to continue to play without pain.

And eventually your shin splints went away? Not worse?
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options

I've heard the barefoot running advice...and would like to try soon but only when I'm 100% . Are you barefoot running with shin splints? Isn't that painful?

If I follow the technique correctly, the problem is not aggravated. If I run "normally", then after a half lap I'm limping.
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    I don't have exercises for you, but I bought the champion version of Sketchers Shape-ups from payless and I haven't had problems with shin splints since. I used to get them just walking uphill.
  • Gonebugn
    Gonebugn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints and spoke to my doctor about it along with other fitness friends. It basically comes down to pushing your legs to fast, to hard, or to long based on your body weight. It takes time for you muscles to develop in order to handle the stress. I would recommend decreasing the amount of intensity of the exercise, or shorter workouts based on what your body is telling you. If you feel pain and not soreness, you are damaging your body. Slow down a bit, decrease the intensity of your workout until your body can handle the stress. When the pain subsides, you will be able to tell the difference.
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    I had to lay out of practice for about a week because I let them get so bad initally, but after that, ice and taping up the shins kept me from being in pain.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Stretching... similar to the movement you would use for calf raises. And of course calf raises. It's funny because about a month ago (maybe more), they had something on the Today Show that addressed this.

I also remember years back in the Eastbay Catalog, that they had a piece of equipment that was similar to a resistance band, and it was used for stretching and strengthening. If I recall correctly, it was Jordan who was promoting it. But I've looked for it for someone else before and can't find it any longer.