Having diet troubles.... :(

Options
Ok so I have really been trying to eat well and exercise four times a week. I have been having trouble getting enough calories without eating junk food and I am scared to death of protein bars and or adding whey protein to my shakes. My diet today was an egg white cheese omelette, peanut butter crackers for snack, roast beef and a salad for lunch, greek yogurt for snack, and after I exercised I decided against my better judgement to eat a protein bar. To my delight though I wasn't hungry after my workouts! Am I doing ok on my diet? I know I need to throw in some more veggies. Should I eat something else for dinner or is the protein bar enough??? And will the extra protein make me gain more weight rather than lose??? Please help :(

Replies

• MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How about adding in a couple of healthy fruit servings. I usually have a greek yogart at one snack break and a piece of fruit at the second. I eat breakfast, snack midmorning, lunch 2 cups veggie salad with light dressing, midafternoon is a fruit, and then a veggie patty with one cup of veggies. I'm a vegetarian so I really make sure I'm getting enough calcium a day and protein, would you believe I'm usually over my limit. Watch your greek yogart or any other, then are loaded with salt, and feel free to check out my diet diary as I switch up. Good luck, the first step on a path to good nutrition is asking questions. You are on your way! Hooray!
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What about almonds or peanut butter? I personally love smoothies post workout. YUM!
  • ljaglady
    ljaglady Posts: 39
    Options
    Thank you very much Linn! I don't really like to eat the greek yogurt because of the sugar and I have noticed fruit has more sugar in it than I thought. I try to eat veggies instead but I get tired of them pretty quickly. Thank you for the advice
  • ljaglady
    Options
    I love smoothies too! I hate the natural peanut butter though..... I'll have to try the almonds! Thanks!
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not public so it is hard to know all the details, but eating protein is not a bad thing. And all the foods you mentioned--eggs, peanut butter, roast, and greek yogurt--all have decent amounts of protein already. Protein is good as it does keep you full, and the other good thing, is that it is a healthier way to get those calories that you have a hard time eating. Eating more veggies is always good as well--I like to get the steamer bags and just microwave them and sometimes just eat them straight out of the bag!

As far as weight gain, the protein will help to build your muscles, but I really wouldnt worry too much about 'bulking up' unless you do a TON of strength training. I do not think a protein bar would make a good DAILY meal, but it is definitely not horrible to eat it as a meal every now and then. Overall it sounds like you are doing pretty well to me!
  • ljaglady
    Options
    Ok Sanders, thank you very much! Should I make my food diary public? I get embarrassed about what I eat sometimes >.<
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    With my ideas, you don't have to eat any protein bars! I never eat them and I've lost 30 pounds.
    I can't see your food diary, so I'm just judging based on your one day of food. I would add in more food throughout the day. For example, with the omelette I would have a small serving of cereal with fruit, or yogurt with fruit. With your snack, add in some baby carrots for example, or a piece of fruit. Your lunch sounds good - I would add in a slice of bread. And I would definitely suggest dinner or at least a big snack.

I read something the other day that put protein bars into good perspective to me - the article said that you need to view protein bars almost like a meal replacement. A person may eat a protein bar and then have dinner an hour later, but in reality that is like eating a turkey sandwich and then having dinner an hour later.

With the "natural" peanut butter thing. I think you're thinking of the peanut butter with the oil you have to stir in. They now have refridgerated natural peanut butter that needs no stirring, and Skippy makes a great natural peanut butter with no stirring required! I swear!! The Skippy really reminds me of normal peanut butter. :)
  • ljaglady
    Options
    Ok! I just put my my diary on public so everyone should be able to see my diary now. I am a little paranoid about eating more food. I just don't want to gain any weight
  • caketindowell
    Options
    I think your daily diet sounds really good! But I agree with the other post that including a fruit snack would be a good idea for some extra nutrition. A high protein/low carb meal at dinner is generally a winner for weight loss, but I would suggest trying something like a piece of fish, chicken or other meat with some veggies or a salad - probably more satisfying than a protein bar and will give you loads more vitamins and fibre. Extra protein wont make you gain weight and its really good to eat after a workout becuase it helps your body build muscle (lean muscle - not bulk) which then increases your resting metabolism. Lots of carbs like rice, pasta and bread are more likely to make you put on weight - best enjoyed in small portions and earlier in the day - they are better to eat before a workout because they will give you the energy you need to train hard and then during the workout you will burn off those calories anyway.
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    I discovered oven baked pretzels as a snakc that has no sugar in them! Protein s good for weight loss unless you have too much and that would be hard to do! I have a protein shake and some fruit in the morning. I also do protein shake after a workout if im hungry. Its all about trial and error. QA good thing to do is to look at other peoples diaries and see if you can get ideas from there :)
  • ljaglady
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice everyone!!! I really appreciate every ones input!! I think I will start checking out other peoples diaries. Maybe I can find someone with the same goals as me!
  • MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Good ideas everyone!!!!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You diet doesn't look bad. I would expand it and track sodium and maybe sugar. You'd be surprised at the hidden slat in sugars in some foods. Also I eat a bit of protein before and after a workout. In the morning I may have a protein shake before my workout and an omelet after. I am usually starving after working out and this keeps me from going nuts and pigging out. The only thing is to add veggies, but you said you know that. try them not just steamed, but roasted and play around with different spices and seasonings to keep it interesting.

Keep up the good work!
  • ljaglady
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • ChrisFA5
    ChrisFA5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    X2 on the nuts... Almonds, Brazil, Cashews, Hazelnuts, Macadamia, Walnuts, Pecans, Pistachios

Hey where are your greens?
  • niresupernova
    Options
    Try the Clif Mojo Mountain Mix bars for something new. It is 180 cal per bar, 9 g of protein and 70%organic. It is a trail mix bar and I love them. It's like a mix of nuts, pretzels, chocolate chips, raisins, and these crispy things.

Ultimately, I think you are doing way better than me when it comes to diet. I eat Clif chocolate chip proetein bars as a mid-morning snack because I am hungriest during the day and eating breakfast makes me STARVING by lunch time. Normally, I try to burn off the 240 cals in the bar, but I'd like to think it helps me eat less at lunch.

To each their own, right :)