Has anyone seen results doing Zumba?

Options
I've started doing 30-60 minutes of Zumba a day rather than using the elliptical and losing only half the calories. Just wanted to know if anyone has made this their main source of cardio and seen major results?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Diet is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness.

If you enjoy zumba then you will exercise more consistently. Maintaining the weight you lose will very likely require lifestyle changes....enjoying being active it great!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The terrific results I get from Zumba is a smile on my face. I come home all randy and hubby has no clue why. I am sure I get some strength, agility, and stamina gains. I also was able to keep up with my nephew when he introduced me to a salsa step.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. I do it a lot in Winter when I can't get outside as much. Great for your core and cardiovascular system, and it's FUN. Fun is important to me.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Elliptical = "omg how many minutes left??"

Zumba, or just dancing at home to music = "wow, has it really been that long?!" :)
  • TiaGia101
    TiaGia101 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of fun doing zumba for about a year but stopped as I saw zero results from it. I noticed the super fit ladies i saw in class were also doing zumba only for fun after completing much more strenuous workouts like running or biking or tennis or boot camps. These were women who put in three hours of working out a day and zumba was just their cool down activity. So I say do it for fun but you deginitely should supplement it with another workout.
  • d2othev
    d2othev Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs earlier in the year (from march - may). I was really on point with my diet and doing Zumba class at my gym 3 times per week. I really feel like the Zumba made the biggest difference! I had more energy and confidence & it was soo fun! If you have access to a Zumba class you should totally try it out!
  • d2othev
    d2othev Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start back up this week!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    TiaGia101 wrote: »
    I had a lot of fun doing zumba for about a year but stopped as I saw zero results from it. I noticed the super fit ladies i saw in class were also doing zumba only for fun after completing much more strenuous workouts like running or biking or tennis or boot camps. These were women who put in three hours of working out a day and zumba was just their cool down activity. So I say do it for fun but you deginitely should supplement it with another workout.

A person certainly does not need to work out for three hours a day to stay healthy and fit.
  • TiaGia101
    Options

A person certainly does not need to work out for three hours a day to stay healthy and fit.

I never said they did. You will notice I said that I did zumba for a year and saw no results when it was my primary form of exercise. I added that women who had very impressive physiques also did not rely on it as their sole form of exercise. Which is why I advised for the original poster to supplement.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of results really, that's a bit of a vague word.
  • TiaGia101
    Options
    I define results as weight loss or visible results in the body
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

In that case, if you change nothing about your diet then no, you will not see results from Zumba. In order to see muscle definition you have to reduce your body fat, in order to do that you have to lose weight and the only thing that achieves weight loss is eating at a deficit. Working out is for fitness and some bonus calories, especially cardio, which is what Zumba is.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Most my weight loss is from diet. I do Zumba because it's my therapy. How are you calculating the calorie burns from each? I definitely burn a lot more doing Zumba than I ever could in the elliptical.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

In that case you weren't eating at a caloric deficit. That had nothing to do with the Zumba. The "fit" women you saw were eating at a deficit and possibly lifting heavy.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hate all the cardio machines, except the rowing.
    Love Zumba. It is good cardio, but approached correctly it can improve your balance, mobility, core, and posture. So even though it isn't great for weight loss per se, it can improve the look of your body and strengthen your core to a certain extent.
    If you go through the motions, little improvement anywhere.
    If you concentrate on what you are doing, results can be seen and felt.
    I always leave class walking tall, and with a spring in my step.

It also depends on your fitness level going into it, and what you aspire to. I am not going to ever run a marathon or lift twice my body weight, so I like the results I get from Zumba. It is fun and friendly too.

Cheers, h.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Zumba 2 times a week plus a lot of walking. I don't eat back many exercise calories and stick to my deficit for a Loss of 1.5 per week. With Zumba (since May) and walking I've lost 3 inches per thigh, one per calf, and 2.5 per knee. (Knee fat? Yeah . . .)
    Our instructor encourages us do the toning modifications, and adds a lot of songs with squats and lunges. Maybe that makes a difference. . .
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I started my fitness journey by braving a zumba class alone. It was an amazing first step that I will never forget. I go to all sorts of classes now.

I truly believe that the best exercise is the one you will do and enjoy. If you hate running, don't run. If you love zumba, zumba!! You will burn crazy calories and it's great cardio, plus you are having fun.
  • randilast
    randilast Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!!! The first class I went to with a coworker and I was the only one to return. Unfortunately with my two jobs it's hard to make the classes but I got the Wii U with Zumba World Party and now I do it at home. I also just got a Charge HR and can't wait to see what my calorie burn really is while doing a class.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Zumba is perfectly good cardio. I find that Zumba alone is not enough though--I also need to lift several days a week.