Breakfast Recipes Anyone?

Options
SeanLives
SeanLives Posts: 17 Member
edited August 2015 in Recipes
Anyone have a quick, tasty and satisfying breakfast recipe they could recommend?

I usually have a 1/4 of a bagel with peanut butter (my kryptonite) after my morning workout. Later at work I have 1 hard boiled egg, 1 1/2 cups of mixed fruit, and a cup of tea for my real breakfast-breakfast.

Weekends I branch out with either bran/granola cereals in soy milk... Or an 2 egg white omelette and bacon.

I am looking for some new recipes that are quick to make, delicious, and are in the 200 - 350 calorie range.

I've been logging my food and going to the gym for a month and a half now. I am on my way. For anyone who are further along on their journey, or those just starting out as well... I would really appreciate any breakfast tips and words of encouragement.

Thanks, you're the best.

Replies

• BeckFair
    BeckFair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually have an English muffin with two slices of deli ham, an egg an ounce of swiss cheese and a tbsp. of
    basil tahini pesto. This is a filling breakfast that's quick and easy to prepare and keeps me from thinking about eating again for hours. It's about 350 calories.
  • nixology
    nixology Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was never a breakfast eater, which is terrible I know but I am trying to correct the errors of my ways. So recently I have been making gluten free banana pancakes for brekkie. Just 1 ripe banana to 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of cinnamon powder & vanilla essence and cooked in coconut oil. I make wee tennis ball sized ones so I can fool myself into thinking I am eating less ... lol. I have about 3-4 of them with some blueberries or orange segments and they are lovely.

Another recent staple is mashed avocado on toast with a light sprinkling of salt & pepper. Sometimes when I think need a pep, I sprinkle a little chilli flakes. If I am really rushed, I just have some yoghurt with blueberries & bananas and a tsp of raw honey. If I have more time, I would make a green smoothie to go with.

Love the egg muffin cups. Have not made them in ages - must revisit them again for brekkie. Love this thread!
  • FaithEstes
    FaithEstes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes! Two whole eggs and one bananna. And that's it! Just mash an mix together in a bowl, spoon onto a pan on medium heat and bam! You can also add protein powder. Here's mine from today. gttjgxlnfon5.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Refrigerator oatmeal.
    Skinny Laughing Cow wedge on rye or pumpernickel.
    Add nuts or fruit to fill in your calories.
  • SeanLives
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I do a lot of advance food prep because my weeks are busy. Two favorite breakfast items that I can make in advance and heat up later are baked oatmeal, and egg muffin cups.

There are a gazillion recipes for baked oatmeal. I'm an apple/cinnamon fan, so this one is a favorite. When I logged the recipe here, it came out to 300 calories per serving:

Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal:

budgetbytes.com/2012/10/apple-pie-baked-oatmeal/

Try savory oatmeal! Cook plain oats, add salt and pepper to taste, stir in some crumbled turkey bacon and scallions, and throw a poached egg on top. A little Sriracha sauce is nice, too.

There are also lots of recipes for egg muffin cups. These are just 150 calories each even with the sausage. You could cut the calories even further by using turkey bacon or adding extra veggies instead of the meat. Lots of options here:

food.com/recipe/scrambled-egg-muffins-12975

@Caitwin Thanks for the tip on the oatmeal. I have a tin of steel cut oats I had forgotten all about in my cupboard!

And egg cup muffins!?! I had know idea these even existed!!! Sunday mornings look out!

Thx again.
  • SeanLives
    Options
    FaithEstes wrote: »
    Protein pancakes! Two whole eggs and one bananna. And that's it! Just mash an mix together in a bowl, spoon onto a pan on medium heat and bam! You can also add protein powder.

@FaithEstes I had to look at those pancakes twice! Couldn't believe that they were just eggs and bananas. Crazy! And it looks like you added blueberries, strawberries, honey or agave, and peanut butter right?

Does the peanut butter take your breakfast up over the 400 calorie mark? I love peanut butter (again the kryptonite) but I find even a little bit is calorie rich. Thx.
  • SeanLives
    Options
    nixology wrote: »
    I was never a breakfast eater, which is terrible I know but I am trying to correct the errors of my ways. So recently I have been making gluten free banana pancakes for brekkie. Just 1 ripe banana to 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of cinnamon powder & vanilla essence and cooked in coconut oil. I make wee tennis ball sized ones so I can fool myself into thinking I am eating less ... lol. I have about 3-4 of them with some blueberries or orange segments and they are lovely.

Another recent staple is mashed avocado on toast with a light sprinkling of salt & pepper. Sometimes when I think need a pep, I sprinkle a little chilli flakes. If I am really rushed, I just have some yoghurt with blueberries & bananas and a tsp of raw honey. If I have more time, I would make a green smoothie to go with.

Love the egg muffin cups. Have not made them in ages - must revisit them again for brekkie. Love this thread!

@nixology Thx for the check in. Yeah I had cut out breakfast for years. It did nothing for me but help me slow my metabolism and pack on the pounds after lunch. I feel much more in a working rhythm with taking a break for "breakkie".

I am totally going to try your "ban"cakes... They sound awesome.

Cheers!
  • SeanLives
    Options
    BeckFair wrote: »
    I usually have an English muffin with two slices of deli ham, an egg an ounce of swiss cheese and a tbsp. of
    basil tahini pesto. This is a filling breakfast that's quick and easy to prepare and keeps me from thinking about eating again for hours. It's about 350 calories.

@BeckFair I sometimes have a similar bfast sandwich except I eat it on dry wheat toast and avocado instead of cheese.

But you just reminded me how much I loved pesto. I'm going to look into healthy low fat alternatives to what I used to make with fatty nuts and cheese.

Thanks!!!
  • SeanLives
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Refrigerator oatmeal.
    Skinny Laughing Cow wedge on rye or pumpernickel.
    Add nuts or fruit to fill in your calories.

Thank you @jgnatca for the tip. I will be sparking up the oatmeal tomorrow for the rest of the week. Plus, I love dark breads... I am eating a sprouted wheat bread these days.

Best regards!!!
  • taanzaa39
    taanzaa39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes! Two whole eggs and one bananna. And that's it! Just mash an mix together in a bowl, spoon onto a pan on medium heat and bam! You can also add protein powder. Here's mine from today. gttjgxlnfon5.jpg

Looks yummy
  • tinyfruitprincess
    tinyfruitprincess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    SeanLives wrote: »
    Anyone have a quick, tasty and satisfying breakfast recipe they could recommend?

I usually have a 1/4 of a bagel with peanut butter (my kryptonite) after my morning workout. Later at work I have 1 hard boiled egg, 1 1/2 cups of mixed fruit, and a cup of tea for my real breakfast-breakfast.

Weekends I branch out with either bran/granola cereals in soy milk... Or an 2 egg white omelette and bacon.

I am looking for some new recipes that are quick to make, delicious, and are in the 200 - 350 calorie range.

I've been logging my food and going to the gym for a month and a half now. I am on my way. For anyone who are further along on their journey, or those just starting out as well... I would really appreciate any breakfast tips and words of encouragement.

Thanks, you're the best.

1 apple, 1 serving of oatmeal with 2 tsp's brown sugar and 1 tbsp peanut butter. 350 calories and the apple has fiber as well as the oatmeal combined with the peanut butter and the brown sugar for a little fast burning carbohydrates just to balance it out ( and make it yummier )

Seriously, oatmeal is a must and you can buy the tiny healthy packets from costco that have seeds mixed in and you use the packet as a measuring cup for the water and it's less then a minute in the microwave and you're good to go!
  • lauraxx2015xx
    lauraxx2015xx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of breakfast bars so I have food on the go! 2 cups of porridge oats,2 bananas mashed, half cup of raisins,half cup of chopped nuts, 2 tbsp Honey. Half cup of rapeseed oil & tbsp of cinnamon. Mix all dry ingredients first & then add all of the rest mix well & then bake for 15 minutes & then I cut up into bars after. Each bar is around 155 calories but very full filling. I also use these as a snack some times.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

looks delicious and sounds so easy to make. thanks for sharing this with OP, i will be making this for my 7:30 meal tonight!!

EDIT: how big of a banana?

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Can't see the edit button on my post above anymore but, wanted to say that Faith's egg & banana pancakes were actually easy & good!!
    the first one was really good with a tsp of 100% maple syrup on it! second one not so much since i added a little vanilla extract that killed the banana flavor and also tried to make two pancakes into one, it ended up too big and came out mushy inside.. 3 pancakes it is tomorrow, i do think the overall taste is missing something though, like a dash of salt or maybe a little cinnamon.
    thanks FaithEstes for sharing this great breakfast anytime recipe :)
  • sunstarred
    sunstarred Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've been messing with healthy pancake recipes forever. LOVE banana + egg ones! Another alternative is: 1 tsp to 1 tbsp chia seeds, soaked; 1 egg white (or 2 if you're feeling it!), 1 tbsp almond or peanut butter, cinnamon, and stevia. DELICIOUS! I top with a half a teaspoon of honey.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like to make pancake sandwiches for the week. I make Kodiak Cakes and add some vanilla and cinnamon. The batter makes about 4-5 pancakes. Then I add turkey bacon or ham and some cheese to each cake. Fold it over and you have a little sandwich.