How to log gym work

Options
Hi, once a week I spend 45 minutes in the gym. A mix of strength work (5x5 with max weight of things like squats, chest press etc). But I end with sprints on the treadmill, burpees and other cardio things. If I log it as strength I'm only rewarded with a measly 150 calories, but if I log as circuit training I am given 400 and I'm worried that is too many! I know that weights are for muscle gain not calorie burn, but I am on 1400 calories a day and could really use a few more. Even 100 makes a difference! What would you do?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Don't bother logging your strength - the calorie burns are inaccurate due to many variables affecting the burn.

Also, you shouldn't be eating 1400 calories if you're a male. 1500 net calories is the minimum RDA for a male.

Reset your goals on MFP... set it to 0.5lb or 1lb loss per week.. you're being to aggressive and you're creating a higher chance of losing muscle mass.
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for your quick reply. Can you give me some advice - I am 5ft 7 and 174lbs. I am trying to get to 162lbs because it's the uppermost limit for the BMI for my age. It seems a reasonable goal, I have plenty of visible body fat. I lost about 10lbs really easily but I've just stalled, that's why I dropped the calories. But my weight is still just wavering around 172 to 176 lbs. Why? If 1400 calories is too agressive then why am I not losing weight aggressively? I just want to reach my target so I can revert to maintenance calories. In addition to 1400 calories I run 15 miles a week (a 10 mile run and a 5 mile run) and try not to eat back those calories. I'd really appreciate your opinion. Thanks!!!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Assuming that the scale has been stuck for more than a few weeks, there is no way you are only eating 1400 calories. Your logging is off. By a lot.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you could open your diary I could be able to see where you're going wrong... chances are what you think is accurate logging; really isn't.
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It should be public, I'll take a look!