Sodium Intake

Options
Hey all! Just wondering how much sodium we should be consuming daily? I try to watch it, but it is hard! Also, for those of you who cut back your sodium, do you have an easier time losing the weight? Thanks!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    Hey all! Just wondering how much sodium we should be consuming daily? I try to watch it, but it is hard! Also, for those of you who cut back your sodium, do you have an easier time losing the weight? Thanks!!:flowerforyou:
  • Destined
    Destined Posts: 116
    Options
    According to the FDA the average recommended amount of sodium is 2400mg daily. We usually go over the daily limit usually by using too much salt. Also most frozen entrees or TV dinners have a lot of sodium. Some spices have a lot of sodium and we should go ease on them. Garlic salt is good to use too instead of salt. Hope this helps.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself... sodium on it's own doesn't "hurt" my weight efforts. But having a lot of salt can make me crave sugar for some reason. I have found that going over on the sugar has been what keeps me away from my goals more than anything.

(I know that too much salt can lead to hypertension and hardening of the arteries, but it's not my area of expertise... a lot of MFP folks are better at the medical explanations.)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time staying at my sodium goal... I go over frequently. I know that if you eat a lot of sodium your body hold in more water so you feel more bloated and may gain a pound or two from water weight. no fun. thats all i've noticed. I excess sodium can raise your blood pressure and stuff but i'm not too worried about that yet.
  • dark_love923
    Options
    I have switched to flavoring my foods with MRS. Dash, low sodium chicken and beef broth and if it's something I REALLY need salt on I use sea salt and I use way less because it's tase it alot stronger. I haven't found sodium to effect me other than feeling a little bloated. Your protiens, fibre and fat and calories I think are more important along with a good balance of weight training and cardio.
  • artnoren
    Options
    Current daily allowance is 2400mg which is 1 teaspoon of salt. There may be a change in the daily allowance lowering the recommended amount to 1500mg. Most Americans consume over 3500 mg daily. I retain water easily and is it bad for my heart so I stay at 1000 mg or less. Stay away from all processed and frozen foods as well as canned soups as they have a lot of salt. Eating out, especially fast food, even Subway, contains a lot of sodium. I even have to watch chicken, fish and meat as some brands (especially chicken) have high sodium content. Perdue chicken is the lowest. Hope this helps.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    our bodies "need" about a 1000...the 2400 standard is not really a standard but is "safe"

the levels on alot of the food here is high on ths sodium levels
    I would use more than one source for your info

Dave
  • _Pepper_
    _Pepper_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I keep my sodium intake to 1500 mg max because I have high blood pressure.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't use regular table salt such as Mortons.................

I use all Natural Mediterrean sea salt that I purchase at Trader Joe's......................no worries on how much I use then.

My husbands blood pressure stabilized too when we made the switch from table salt to sea salt and he is no longer on blood pressure medications.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hate to get on my soap box...but we should ALL be concerned about sodium intake, a lot of prepared entrees in the frozen food section are marked 'healthy and low fat' but are over 1000 mg of salt...which is way too much...to eat more than 500mg at one sitting is way too much. Check out a prepared meal in the frozen food section and see how many comply with less than 500 mg...yikes!! High blood pressure is a silent killer, and many people have it but don't know it.
  • _Pepper_
    _Pepper_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I almost never add salt to foods, but there's tons of sodium already in anything that comes from a can, a box, or a restaurant.