Carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Stats are 5 ft 2, 132 lbs and work-out 4 times a week (mix of strength and cardio). According to him 1600 is the correct calorie amount but broken into the protein, fat and carbs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get lean. I have lost 25lbs but still have quite a bit of fat left to lose. He put it like this "By following this plan, you will get your results" - but I think I will work that around what feels right for me. I will certainly be mindful of carbs but I think the 50g stop on daily carbs is crazy for me. I really appreciate your intelligent advice. I'm very new to doing things 'properly' as such so I'm really glad this has been cleared up.
    Yes. Do what feels right for you. Good luck. :)

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Why do you think he suggested the low carb route for me in that case? I'm confused! :)

OP... does your trainer have any sort of "testimonials" sort of thing where he says "this person lost X amount of pounds in X time!!!!"?
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd give a fair bit of side eye to a PT suggesting you go on a low carb diet and that you 'need' it for fat loss. Are you at a gym with multiple trainers? I'd suggest giving a few PTs a trial and seeing which one suits you best as this trainer seems a bit meh.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could do 50 carbs or less a day. I am trying to keep my carbs on lower end to help with glucose levels but I can only stay below 90gms a day fitting in lots of fruits and veggies. I would be evil on that many carbs for a long term.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    That is enough protien for a 145lb serious athelete (think pro football who lifts, or a world strong man competitor), or a 180lb muscle building person, or a 363lb average person.

The recommended guidelines range from 0.8g/kg to 2g/kg. 1g/lb is 2.2g/kg. Most people replace kg with lb and ignorantly increase protein intake by 2.2x because they don't reduce the number when they change the scale.

You could probably go with 1.6g/kg (more than I get now, despite dropping 20lb and gaining strength) and use some of those calories for carbs. That would come out to something like 96g protein, 62g fat, and 164g carbs.

62g fat because the upper recommended fat intake is 35% according to the USDA. 164g of carbs would be considered low carb, as it is only 40% of your caloric intake. It just isn't paleo low.

You could tweak that a bit if it makes you happier :smile:
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Stay within your calorie limit to lose weight. Higher protein levels help some people feel fuller longer but to preserve or even build muscle (depending on your height and body type) around a 100 grams is probably more than enough. Make up the rest in carbs or fats in a combination that helps you get all your nutrition and feel full. Even diabetics can eat 50 grams of carbs in a single meal or snack and be alright.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Unless you have insulin related problems, carbs aren't the enemy. I have insulin resistance and my nutritionist told me I have to control my carbs, but I eat 175gr a day, a lot more than you, and I'm still losing weigh because it about calories, not carbs.

However, if you really want to eat the 50 gr, my suggestion is to concentrate most in you lunch, so that you can prepare easier things....
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Low carb doesn't do either of those things.

It can IF you do a bulk and cut cycle.

• faberallison
    faberallison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You don't need to limit carbs to lose fat. I eat under 20 grams of carbs a day, but it is by no means necessary. Work out with your trainer, but eat what you like in a deficit.