Scale shows that I gained 4 pounds in one day.. I'm confused

Options
This morning when I weighed myself I was 212 pounds. I've only eaten about 700 calories up until when I just weighed myself and the scale said 216. I'm so confused, does anyone know what this means and what can cause it?

I exercise everyday and I have maintained my deficit for the past 3 weeks. I also didn't go over my calorie goal in past few days.

Replies

• eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    first, i have found NOT to weigh myself in the middle of the day (or at the end) because by that time, you are full of all of the food that you've eaten and water consumed. Also, you may be retaining water... Weight loss isn't linear. I would not be alarmed at all. As long as the trend is downward, it is all good!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    skinnyby18 wrote: »
    This morning when I weighed myself I was 212 pounds. I've only eaten about 700 calories up until when I just weighed myself and the scale said 216. I'm so confused, does anyone know what this means and what can cause it?

I exercise everyday and I have maintained my deficit for the past 3 weeks. I also didn't go over my calorie goal in past few days.

Weight isn't stagnant. You can get on a scale 5 times a day & it can show you a different weight each time. You've eating, probably drinking... that shows up on the scale.

Also, it's not a good idea to weigh yourself several times a day if it's going to upset you.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Water and food add weight during the day. Weigh yourself in the morning first thing after you use the restroom and before eating with the same exact clothes (or lack of clothes). This will give you the most accurate weight comparison. But you weight also changes day to day based on a lot of factors - how much sodium you ate, TOTM, hydration levels.
  • jfitnessguru
    jfitnessguru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Agree completely with the poster above weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything. It's not a necessity to weigh yourself multiple times a day you're only going to stress yourself which will raise your cortisol. You don't want that!! Personally i would weigh myself without clothes. This will definitely give you an accurate weight comparison. Also, take into consideration there's many variables that will cause your weight to fluctuate throughout the day and daily such as water levels, sodium levels, glycogen storage etc etc....
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Stop getting on the scale so often. Of course you'll weigh more later in the day - You've consumed food and water which are still in your system among other things. Weight fluctuation is normal - if it causes you stress then step away from the scale for a while.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Once in the morning after going to the toilet. It is okay to get on the scale more often to get in touch with how much your weight fluctuates...4 pounds a day is about the going rate. I don't bother tracking my weight after exercise because it is lower than my morning weight.
  • Chrissya1594
    Chrissya1594 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try to stick with checking in the mornings from now on!
  • kjone354
    kjone354 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go with the weight that you seen first thing in the morning.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    choose morning weigh ins only and get used to fluctuations, they happen to all of us...