do you go to bed hungry???

Options
2»

Replies

• GiniN
    GiniN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I sleep poorly if I go to bed hungry, so I don't do it.

About half an hour before I go to sleep, I have fiber one cereal with nonfat milk and berries...usually blueberries. I have tried lots of other different things and this does the trick for me. I also eat a small snack between dinner and bedtime. I have these in my food plan, and I find that following this erases the evening munchies. Thought I would never conquer that temptation, but it works for me!

Good luck!

:happy:
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    Generally speaking, I don't do hungry. If I'm hungry, I eat. But, I do distinguish between true hunger, the munchies, and simple desire to chew/taste something. True, physical hunger, doesn't like to be ignored and just finds other ways to get its needs met.

So, if I found myself truly hungry at 11 pm, I'd eat something. And if I'm actually hungry...a cucumber or some fruit isn't going to cut it. I have some cheese or some yogurt...something dense and filling. I find If I go to bed hungry, I'll just wake up in the middle of the night to eat. Or wake up ravenous...and maybe eat a little too much for breakfast because my eyes were bigger than my stomach.

And you're going for sustainable habits, not "diet habits." *You will keep the weight off in the exact same way that you lost it.* So ask yourself. Are you the sort of person who will go to bed hungry for the rest of your life to keep the weight off? Some people can and do. I will say, however, that many of us who have struggled with weight...will not. So whenever you get a question like this, ask yourself...is this a sustainable habit? Or a 'diet habit?' And the answer is personal...lots of people do things everyday that I don't think I could sustain...and vice versa.
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have a slice of turkey. Protein will keep you full, its low fat and full of tryptophan which will help you sleep :-)
  • rgic
    rgic Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I am fairly new to this and was being pretty strict and going hungry but was really not enjoying myself and I can see that I may not stick with it if this is what it will be like. I am going to try the green tea and gum ideas and if they don't cut it a yoghurt.
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    I'll usually have a yogurt right before i go to bed as I can't fall asleep when I'm hungry.

Ditto! For me it's a comfort thing I think, all I need is something thing to put in my mouth - yoghurt, couple of nuts, a slice of meat whatever but I can't go to bed without eating something and I can't sleep either lol! Actually I have never thought about this before - it's just become my little ritual! x
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 271
    Options
    I'd recommend against it - when I have catch-up sleep, and so don't get up till mid day and wake up hungry, I just can't stop eating. I guess going to bed hungry would have similar results - butI usually have the opposite problem - it's 2am, I've just eaten 700 calories, and I've still got 400 to go....

Last night, I didn't eat everything I should have, but I *will* eat extra today to make up for it.
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Have a couple of slices of deli turkey breast, about 50 cals and keeps hunger at bay! Stay away from carbs before bed though
  • Jesscox17
    Jesscox17 Posts: 33
    Options
    :yawn:
    It is 11:15p.m. and I have eaten all but 19 calories and I'm soooo hungry. Just curious what everyone else does when this happens. do you go to bed hungry? or do you get a snack?

4433730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

You know a key factor that everyone forgets about wt loss is adequate sleep, if this doesn't happen your metabolism gets screwed up, so eat something so you can get a good nights sleep.:yawn:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am quite often starting to feel hungry when i go to bed, i usually have a glass of water. I do really appreciate my breakfast the next mornign though!! If i was in your situation i might have a low cal hot chocolate, options hot chocs are only 36 cals, as a warm drink can help you feel fuller.

I have heard conflicting things about chewing gum... maybe someone can clarify. I heard it makes you hungrier as you are chewing and creating saliva, which makes your stomach think its going to get food, but then it doesnt, so you end up hungrier than before....
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I often go to bed hungry as it tends to feel like to much effort and if I'm really tired my bed is more of a priority
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It is 11:15p.m. and I have eaten all but 19 calories and I'm soooo hungry. Just curious what everyone else does when this happens. do you go to bed hungry? or do you get a snack?

4433730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Depends on how hungry. If you are really hungry, eat something small. I can't sleep when I'm hungry, so there's no point to avoiding a snack. I always figure that if I'm within 100 calories of goal(either way), everything is fine.