Hip joint pain

Options
Hi all,
I work in an office where I have to sit for long periods at my desk. I'm experiencing severe pain in my lower back(around right hip region) whenever I get up or stretch to take something. This has been going for a few days. Whenever I feel severe pain, I used to walk around for a few minutes and it gives some relief for me. Last week I consulted my physio in Mississauga to have a detailed assessment of my hip pain. He told it's due to the muscle spasm in the hip and suggested to do either physiotherapy or massage therapy for me. I'm confused with the choices. Does anyone here have done message therapy before? Will it work for hip and back pain?

Replies

• scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, massage and PT will help. I eventually had surgery for a torn labrum, but if yours isn't that serious I would do both for relief and better gait/posture.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    On top of massage you could try some self myofacial release (either foam rolling or with a ball of some sort). Just look up some videos on youtube to get some pointers
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same going on right now. I was given anti-inflammatory medicine by the doctor last week, had my first session with an osteopath last Friday, who gave me some specific stretching excercises to do at home. Three times a day, at least for six weeks. He also asked me to get an analysis done of how I distribute my weight on my feet. I plan to do that this afternoon. Most of the pain is gone now, except for a constant nagging pain on my right hip bone. Next osteopath session this Friday. The doctor told me I could go see a physical therapist, but an osteopath would be more effective.
  • Willard215
    Willard215 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    On top of massage you could try some self myofacial release (either foam rolling or with a ball of some sort). Just look up some videos on youtube to get some pointers

I found this video on Myofascial release foam roller exercises really helpful. Thanks for the tip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9vogqdFCqc
  • Willard215
    Willard215 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ElkeKNJ wrote: »
    I have the exact same going on right now. I was given anti-inflammatory medicine by the doctor last week, had my first session with an osteopath last Friday, who gave me some specific stretching excercises to do at home. Three times a day, at least for six weeks. He also asked me to get an analysis done of how I distribute my weight on my feet. I plan to do that this afternoon. Most of the pain is gone now, except for a constant nagging pain on my right hip bone. Next osteopath session this Friday. The doctor told me I could go see a physical therapist, but an osteopath would be more effective.

I don't know much about osteopathy. What kind of stretching exercises do you do?