Do great for breakfast and lunch but dinner not so much.

Options
I can stick to my food plan for breakfast and lunch. I plan out and pack my lunch. Breakfast is easy 2 eggs, veggies and a slice of cheese omelet. Dinner is the hard one. My husband works from home and dinner is his social outlet. We eat out a lot! It is hard to make healthy choices when there are so many fun and tasty bad choices to choose from. How do you get the good guy on your shoulder to shut the bad guy up on the other shoulder? o:)>:)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You don't need to order out too. My boyfriend and I often do/eat different things for dinner. Make your own.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me when eating out is to skip bread or fattening appetizers and to divide my meal in half when it arrives and box it up before I start eating. The remaining half then gets eaten much more slowly which is an added bonus.

I did this after we had a house fire and were in a hotel for two months and ate out every night. I think I gained at least 30# that summer (no scale in the hotel). As I realized how I was gaining that was the thing I did that turned things around for me. Throw out the left overs if you eat out that often as to not have time to eat them. That will also give you a chance to weigh your food to help determine the calories you're eating if it isn't on the menu.

You can enjoy eating out with your husband and stay in your calorie range.
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Factor in your dinner calories before you start your day, and work backwards so you stay within your goal. Log dinner before you've eaten it. That way you don't even have to look at the menu and you know what to order and how much of it to eat. It also means you can get in more exercise before its too late if needed.

Make eating your own food in fun by setting it up like a restaurant with fancy napkins and nice glasses and stuff. Take it in turns to organise something with a theme and surprise each other.

Help create a different out of home fun habit. It could be something active, or even something sedentary that doesn't involve food, like a trip to a game arcade or something. Replace the bad habit with a healthy one.
  • ksherman2
    ksherman2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    These are all good tips. I am the only one that is food conscious in our dining out group. Most of the time it is a last minute text to meet for dinner. I am just going to have to be more disaplined and maybe chug a bunch of water on the way to the restaurant.

I spend my activity time alone. No workout partner. I lead my horse to water but can't get him to drink.
  • half12345
    half12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Dinner is my fun meal so I barely eat breakfast and lunch, saving the calories for the evening. Half English muffin, if anything, for breakfast around ten, fruit or cucumbers around two and dinner I just pig out. I don't like breakfast food, heavy lunches make me tired and I love going out to eat or just having long fun dinners at home.. This works for me and keeps me happy. I can eat this way and stay in mY calorie limits. I I know its not for everyone but this is what I do.