Were you happy when you reached your goal weight?

Options
I'm 5'6. My highest weight was about 190. I'm now 149. My goal weight is 135-140 but I feel like I'm close to that goal and still no happiest with how I look. I know I'm smallest because of the way clothes fit, but when I look in the mirror, I don't feel like I look any smaller. Did those last 10 pounds make a big difference when you reached your goal weight?

Replies

• SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near my goal, but I can tell you that I look better at my current weight after strength training than I did at the same weight when I was just gaining.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I lost about an inch and a half from my waist when I lost the last 10 pounds. That was noticeable to to me.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I got to my initial goal of 120lbs (5'4), still wasn't happy so went down to 112lbs, still wasn't happy. But I was an awful lot happier at 120 than 130 and at 112 than 120!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. But honestly, in your situation 10-15 lbs is a huge difference. Congratulations on your loss but really, once you're in a healthy weight range 5, even 3 pounds can make a difference.
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a year and a half and I can see changes but not as much as everyone else. You see yourself everyday so it's hard to notice. Go back and look at pics of when you were bigger and you'll see it. I feel like I will always be a work in progress so I don't really feel the scale goals make me feel better about myself but when I see how strong I am and the definition I'm getting that helps me feel accomplished. Try to celebrate how far you've come. It's hard to remember that but try to be proud of yourself!
  • arditarose
    Options
    I got to my initial goal of 120lbs (5'4), still wasn't happy so went down to 112lbs, still wasn't happy. But I was an awful lot happier at 120 than 130 and at 112 than 120!

I'm 5'4" and while I don't see 112 in my future, I agree. 130 isn't quite cutting it. Mostly because I want to bulk and I'm just not lean enough.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight and was happy but not satisfied. I wanted to lose more but couldn't simply because my body had no more to give. So I rebuilt a little to tear it down again. I've been doing that for a while now. It keeps me challenged at at my goal weight :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    the last 10 Lbs can make a huge difference...just think about it logically...when you have a lot to lose, little changes don't make much of a difference...if you're already pretty lean, dropping 10 Lbs would be hugely noticeable.

also, many people are simply in need of doing some re-composition work...this takes time...body composition and looking good isn't just about losing weight or being at some arbitrary number on the scale. get into the weight room...that is the part many people are missing...they want that kind of body, but are afraid to do that kind of work...

Meet Staci....

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Believe it or not, she’s 11 pounds HEAVIER (142 pounds) in the picture on the right (May 2011) compared to the picture on the left (131 pounds, October 2010).

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

It's not all about some number on the scale...not even close.
  • arditarose
    Options
    OP this was about 10-15 pounds for me.

58ct7dwm49kc.jpg

k7u5z3je7vke.jpg
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    OP this was about 10-15 pounds for me.

58ct7dwm49kc.jpg

k7u5z3je7vke.jpg

You look great! (And off-topic, but I absolutely LOVE your hair!!!)

For some of us, the closer to goal, the more those last 5-15 lbs make a visual difference. I do think everyone "carries" their weight differently, which is just another way of saying body composition, I just finally realized, haha!

And OP--as others have stated, you see yourself every day. Try looking through some photographs of yourself, older ones and current, and you'll see things that you probably don't see in the mirror. I just did this yesterday, and realized that my collarbones have made a reappearance. Places that looked "the same" to me in the mirror, regardless of weight and inches lost, were much more evident in photos. Makes me think that sometimes my brain really is a jerk. Reminds me of this!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6. My highest weight was about 190. I'm now 149. My goal weight is 135-140 but I feel like I'm close to that goal and still no happiest with how I look. I know I'm smallest because of the way clothes fit, but when I look in the mirror, I don't feel like I look any smaller. Did those last 10 pounds make a big difference when you reached your goal weight?

At 5'6", 135-140 might still just be a little heavier than ideal for you if you've got a fairly small frame and/or not a great deal of muscle. After you lose these next ten pounds if it hasn't made enough of a difference you can certainly re-evaluate.

I'm 5'4" and I find that I look soft and a bit squishy still at 130, but ten pounds does make a substantial difference and I look a lot slimmer. Takes me from a size 2-4 into a 0, as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    the last 10 Lbs can make a huge difference...just think about it logically...when you have a lot to lose, little changes don't make much of a difference...if you're already pretty lean, dropping 10 Lbs would be hugely noticeable.

also, many people are simply in need of doing some re-composition work...this takes time...body composition and looking good isn't just about losing weight or being at some arbitrary number on the scale. get into the weight room...that is the part many people are missing...they want that kind of body, but are afraid to do that kind of work...

Meet Staci....

Believe it or not, she’s 11 pounds HEAVIER (142 pounds) in the picture on the right (May 2011) compared to the picture on the left (131 pounds, October 2010).

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

She's amazing, but frankly, I'm getting tired of everyone saying that people need to lift weights to be happy. Ugh. And not everyone wants to start a plan that will require you to lift weights 3x a year all your life to maintain your perfect body.

OP, I'll never be happy because I have loose skin anyway. But I'll be happy if I ever reach my goal as I have been maintaining 3 pounds from it for a year... I took a diet break during vacations last year, and I've just too hungry since to lose those last pounds (and if I lose them, I'll have to eat even less to maintain and I'm not happy about that either!).

For what it's worth though, I've lost a bit over an inch on my hips (my problem area) in my year of maintenance, even if I haven't lost weight (technically I'm a pound heavier since I came back from vacations and only lost one of the two I gained). All my clothes that were a tiny bit tight last year are now loose. So it's not necessarily a lost cause. And I mostly do cardio and maybe 40 minutes of weights a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Meet Staci....

She's amazing, but frankly, I'm getting tired of everyone saying that people need to lift weights to be happy. Ugh. And not everyone wants to start a plan that will require you to lift weights 3x a year all your life to maintain your perfect body.

OP, I'll never be happy because I have loose skin anyway. But I'll be happy if I ever reach my goal as I have been maintaining 3 pounds from it for a year... I took a diet break during vacations last year, and I've just too hungry since to lose those last pounds (and if I lose them, I'll have to eat even less to maintain and I'm not happy about that either!).

For what it's worth though, I've lost a bit over an inch on my hips (my problem area) in my year of maintenance, even if I haven't lost weight (technically I'm a pound heavier since I came back from vacations and only lost one of the two I gained). All my clothes that were a tiny bit tight last year are now loose. So it's not necessarily a lost cause. And I mostly do cardio and maybe 40 minutes of weights a week.

the OPs post is insinuating that she's not really that happy with her body composition...there are many such posts...lifting weights or otherwise doing resistance training is the primary modality for altering body composition...I never said you have to do it to be happy...there are plenty of people who don't care ..but a lot of people do so I think it's kind of important to tell them how to achieve that since that's what they're after.

tell me where I ever said you had to lift to be happy...it's all about what you're happy with...telling someone to lift or do resistance training when they are unhappy with composition is the logical thing to do...since that's how you alter composition. Maybe instead of saying "looking good" I should have said, "achieving that look"...but I think most people get the point.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Meet Staci....

I totally agree with this!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The last ten pounds to goal (129-119) made a huge difference visually for me. But I have been noticing positive changes even while maintaining due to the work I've been doing with resistance training. I think it's the fitness more than the weight itself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I haven't quite reached my goal yet, but having been there before, I know I will be happy with that weight/size. I'm not particularly unhappy with it now.