Waist training and corsetry Dangers!

Options
sirensong101
sirensong101 Posts: 182 Member
First and foremost NOOOO!!!!!!! DON'T DO IT!

I for one am a little concerned about the celeb promotion of these forms of 'waist training', you are not training anything, you are in actual fact weakening your core and the medical problems they cause are major to your organs, your spine your spinal cord , your health and possible mobility.
Ok fine were a corset for one day with a special outfit but not on a regular basis. Seriously please research these products on fact, not theory or fashion victim celeb status.

There are much more safer and successful ways to get that hourglass figure through healthy eating and exercise.

Simple things like less salt sugar fats less white carbs and more water and green veg.. planking, yoga, pilates, dancing.. choose the healthy option please.

Replies

• Ashley___916
    Ashley___916 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    There are good things about it too... And I'm a physician assistant. Wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe. You should do a little more research.
  • Gretchen_To_Be
    Gretchen_To_Be Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...thanks for posting this. I wear a corset to fit into some dresses and like the hourglass shape it gives me, but I only wear it for an hour or two. I have read how wearing it for much longer periods could result in a permanent shape change. Where did you read it could be harmful?
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Really this is the case with most things is it not? And as with most things moderation is key.

Also if you look hard enough you can find research supporting and refuting most things.
  • makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are good things about it too... And I'm a physician assistant. Wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe. You should do a little more research.

It would help if you posted a few links to get us started on that research?
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    cW9buX1.gif
  • Gretchen_To_Be
    Options
    @Ashley___916, thanks for your post. Have you had a positive experience with corsets or waist training?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I for one am a little concerned about the celeb promotion of these forms of 'waist training', you are not training anything, you are in actual fact weakening your core and the medical problems they cause are major to your organs, your spine your spinal cord , your health and possible mobility.
    Ok fine were a corset for one day with a special outfit but not on a regular basis. Seriously please research these products on fact, not theory or fashion victim celeb status.

There are much more safer and successful ways to get that hourglass figure through healthy eating and exercise.

Simple things like less salt sugar fats less white carbs and more water and green veg.. planking, yoga, pilates, dancing.. choose the healthy option please.

There are actually some things in your post that are wrong. The entire bolded line. That has nothing to do with building your core, or changing your shape.
    Heavy lifting is actually the best way for body recomp, but any form of exercise is a good way to work the body.
    HOWEVER. Today's 'corsets' are not the same as the horrifying body damaging pieces worn in history that caused women to need to stand near fainting couches because they were so restricting to both the diaphragm and the vasovagal nerve that women often passed out. While it isn't advised to wear a corset full time, it's perfectly safe to wear one underneath clothing as a body shaper. If a woman is practicing good body dynamics, good posture, and not relying on the corset for core strength, it won't weaken the core or damage the spine or the organs (as long as it is the correct size).
    It certainly won't damage the spine or the spinal cord- corsets are often used to protect the spine in people who have back issues.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    I would die if I tried pouring myself into one. The sexy lingerie type ones look hot, but I'm sure those are only for looks and don't actually do anything. Hell, I can't even wear Spanx without feeling claustrophobic!
  • Magnustkn
    Magnustkn Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm having such a hard time getting my on too.
  • CarolinaCricket
    CarolinaCricket Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    jelymrt6djog.gif
    rara.gif 991.6K
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Don't they make you have diarrhea?
    Or maybe that was just my 13 year old me.

I would wear it for bedroom play but beyond that I don't see the need for a little unnecessary discomfort.

They're awesome, though.
    Baha.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    I would die if I tried pouring myself into one. The sexy lingerie type ones look hot, but I'm sure those are only for looks and don't actually do anything. Hell, I can't even wear Spanx without feeling claustrophobic!

no spanx ever. but I'd corset and have
    not during exercise, but that's because it's a breathing restriction and that makes no sense
    mccindy72 wrote: »

There are actually some things in your post that are wrong. The entire bolded line. That has nothing to do with building your core, or changing your shape.
    Heavy lifting is actually the best way for body recomp, but any form of exercise is a good way to work the body.
    HOWEVER. Today's 'corsets' are not the same as the horrifying body damaging pieces worn in history that caused women to need to stand near fainting couches because they were so restricting to both the diaphragm and the vasovagal nerve that women often passed out. While it isn't advised to wear a corset full time, it's perfectly safe to wear one underneath clothing as a body shaper. If a woman is practicing good body dynamics, good posture, and not relying on the corset for core strength, it won't weaken the core or damage the spine or the organs (as long as it is the correct size).
    It certainly won't damage the spine or the spinal cord- corsets are often used to protect the spine in people who have back issues.

yes

picard_clapping.gif
  • Gretchen_To_Be
    Options
    @sunn_lighter ...too funny. I've tried Spanx pantyhose and they are OK. I much prefer the Hanes Silk Reflections High Waist Sheers...much nicer product and 1/3 the price. Both work well for controlling the muffin tops and the band goes up all the way under the bra line and has wide silicone strips, so no "roll-down". The corset gives real shape, however.