You reached goal... what do you do now?

Options
_onebeauty
_onebeauty Posts: 100 Member
edited August 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
what are some things you've gained from being on a mfp committed diet, that now that you've reached goal you STILL do to maintain your weight? is maintaining harder or easier than losing weight?

Replies

• NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    One week into maintenance, I feel like this is far harder than losing weight. I did CI/CO, so making sure I burned more than I ate was fairly easy. Now I still weigh everything, weigh myself daily and put everything I eat into MFP. I want to be able to pinpoint what's working and what isn't.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think what is hard is coming to terms with the fact that you will have to do something proactive to continue maintaining your weight forever. Whether that be calorie counting, portion control, exercise, whatever. It is also harder because you are fighting to keep the status quo instead of progressing and having small victories when the scale moves down.

But once you get past that, I think it is easier because you get to eat more. I try to find small victories while in maintenance - each time I lift heavier weights or notice a small physical change that keeps me going.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I still count calories, weigh my food, and workout even when I don't feel like it. None of the food tracking takes me very long anymore. I've added built up my own data base of my recipes, and have a pretty good idea about how many calories are in things I can't easily log. I see it as part of my life now.

I do the laundry, the dishes, clean the bathroom and balance my checkbook even though I don't fell like doing any of those things either. Part of maturing, and acting like a grown up is doing things we don't 'feel' like doing.

eta: I've been in maintenance since December 21014. I kind of see it the same way I do money. Plenty of people go shopping and just pull out the credit card. But I worked really hard to get out of debt, so I would never go shopping for anything without knowing how much money I have to spend. I don't want to go back into debt over a cute pair of shoes. I'll either get a different pair or save up for them.

If you really need it spelled out, in this analogy debt = fat, shopping = eating, money = calories, and cute shoes = food treat. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    _onebeauty wrote: »
    what are some things you've gained from being on a mfp committed diet, that now that you've reached goal you STILL do to maintain your weight? is maintaining harder or easier than losing weight?

you do the same thing you did to lose weight except you get to eat a little more...that's it. i eat the same way, I exercise the same way...the difference between losing weight and maintenance is basically a couple extra snacks...

I don't log and haven't for over two years of maintenance. I eat very healthfully just as I did while losing weight. I exercise regularly and ride roughly 60 - 80 miles per week, lift 2-3 times per week, run a 5K or two every week, walk my dog, etc...I did all of the above while I was losing weight too...this is why I always tell people that they need to start looking at fitness for the sake of fitness...it's not like you stop once you've lost weight...if you do, I can pretty much guarantee you'll put the weight back on.

I still weigh myself regularly to keep track of where I am and to know if I need to make any adjustments. Like I said, I don't log but I'm very mindful of what I"m eating. To lose weight, I eat around 2,500 calories per day...to maintain weight I eat around 3,000...that's the only difference.

There's nothing difficult about maintenance if you're living a healthful lifestyle...people have difficulties because they go "back to normal" and fail miserably at realizing that there has to be a new normal.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As a day to day thing, maintenance is easier because you aren't starving yourself, even on days you don't exercise. But it's a long term thing, so that makes it more difficult. You have to be careful about letting things slip. If you have a cheat day during weight loss, it will automatically make up for itself, but in maintenance it leads to weight gain. Some people are less motivated to exercise, because they don't need it to allow them to eat more or to increase their calorie deficit. And then there's stepping on the scale, which is very hard if you think you overate and you're afraid it'll tell you you need to cut calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I really like maintenance, having more calories is awesome :smile: Been maintaining my current weight for 2 years.

I no longer log my foods and am finding that even good eating habits come naturally.

I mentally know I average around 2100 calories in maintenance, not bad for a small fry lol

I weigh in a few times a week to keep an eye that all is well.

For me it's mostly to do with being consistent with my fitness, I push myself to get high daily steps (mixture of runs/walks).

I feel fitter and better than ever before and I know I'll continue to be consistent, 3 years in my fitness is the norm.

Maintenance rocks!! *\o/*
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well I'm still 4 pounds from my goal weight, but I've been maintaining for a year basically just looking at my weekly calories and keeping a deficit when I can because I know that some days I will eat more. I have no plans to change the way I eat if I ever reach my goal. In my case losing isn't an issue as much as gaining though... I gain easily. Lose? Not so much.

And yeah, I step on the scale every month after my period (the time of the month when I'm actually not retaining water) to make sure my weight is in line with what it should be.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Maintaining now for 6 months. I know portion sizes now like the back of my hand. I still log meals sometimes, just depends. Eating right= feeling good. If I over eat for a day it's right back to business again. I weigh once a week but really don't need to. Can tell if I have gained without even getting on the scale. Learning that feeling is one of the best things I have learned on my journey. Before cooking/eating had top priority versus how I felt. Just the opposite now. ;)
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I can't remember how long I've been maintaining, but probably around 6 months. I still log my calories, something I think I'll be doing for the rest of my life.

Being on maintenance is easier than losing for me, because I don't feel like beating myself up if I choose to indulge once in awhile. I do weigh myself about once a week, still, because if I notice any upward trend beginning, it's much easier to lose a pound or two than it is to lose 10 or 20.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Keep the same dedication that got you to your goal. Set new goals and keep it simple. Enjoy eating a little more at maintenance. A buffer of 5 pounds is a good measure to keep you at your final weight. And congrats!
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Today is my One Year Anniversary. I started off the year at goal..roller coaster...am back at goal. Spent most of the year outside of Goal range than in it. So, learned a valuable lesson in keeping the focus on the plan... I can't eyeball my food or do "Intuitive Eating"...will need to continue tracking which is no biggie as it's a habit now.

So it's MFP+FitBit for me...and I couldn't be happier with it.
  • _onebeauty
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There's nothing difficult about maintenance if you're living a healthful lifestyle...people have difficulties because they go "back to normal" and fail miserably at realizing that there has to be a new normal.

My weight has always been up/down/up/down... lol. I worry bc I gain weight incredible easy.

but I have come to this realization when I began this diet.. Once I reach my goal weight: 120 lbs (currently at 137.6) I know THIS time, I will always need to track my food. Even though I will get a bit more calories, bc it allows for me to mindfully be in control on my weight. So I'm not planning on doing anything differently at all, I see it as I will jst be allowed more calories (: I don't want to keep dieting, I'm getting older & wld like to have children in the next few years... so I want to make sure I can get this right lol!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I really like maintenance, having more calories is awesome :smile: Been maintaining my current weight for 2 years.

I no longer log my foods and am finding that even good eating habits come naturally.

I mentally know I average around 2100 calories in maintenance, not bad for a small fry lol

I weigh in a few times a week to keep an eye that all is well.

For me it's mostly to do with being consistent with my fitness, I push myself to get high daily steps (mixture of runs/walks).

I feel fitter and better than ever before and I know I'll continue to be consistent, 3 years in my fitness is the norm.

Maintenance rocks!! *\o/*

Exactly the same as this,.....I love maintaining!
    I hated losing weight - as obviously, you have to eat less food......and as someone with a big appetite, it was pretty hard for me to cut down.
    The key for me is continuing to log my meals and keeping up with my exercise.
    Without exercise, i'd only average around 1700 cals, but with it i can eat up to around 2100 daily.
    I Run 3 days a week (35-40 mins) and lift weights 3 days a week (25-30 mins), sometimes with a couple of 15 mins HIIT afterwards.
    So keep logging your food and do some kind of exercise regularly and you'll be fine!
    OP, have you found out what your maintainence calories should be?
  • michelepiper940
    michelepiper940 Posts: 29 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Maintaining weight is a balancing act. I recently left weight watchers after reaching lifetime. You need to continue eating healthy which for me is lean protein fruits veggies and healthy carbs. Continue to stay active and vary my workouts. Also to continue to watch how much I eat my watching portions and using mfp to make sure I stay within it. Going to the gym 3-4 times a week, walking at work for an hour 5 times a week and strength training helps me a lot!
  • _onebeauty
    Options

NO!! how do you find out what your maintenance calories would be???
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

NO!! how do you find out what your maintenance calories would be???

Other people might suggest to use your past food logging details and do some Maths or use the MFP calculator
    But i just used this calculator http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • _onebeauty
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hmmm.. I was playing around with mfp && it says when I reach goal 120 lbs I wld maintain @ 1590.... its not as high as I'd like.. but that's ok, the MORE I workout, the MORE I get to eat!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. I was playing around with mfp && it says when I reach goal 120 lbs I wld maintain @ 1590.... its not as high as I'd like.. but that's ok, the MORE I workout, the MORE I get to eat!

so around 1600 on your non active days could likely be your TDEE, or as you say when you workout then you know it will be a higher number - its a matter of trying eating a few 100 cals more for a few weeks and in time you will figure out how much you can still eat yet maintain same weight. It takes a bit of trial and error. It took me a few months to figure mine out - I'm 5ft 2"/133lbs approx/very active/maintain on 2100-2300 cals. The lighter/smaller you are the lower your TDEE. The great thing is, if we are active we can have a higher TDEE.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I maintain in 1800 Calories a day.
  • _onebeauty
    Options

so around 1600 on your non active days could likely be your TDEE, or as you say when you workout then you know it will be a higher number - its a matter of trying eating a few 100 cals more for a few weeks and in time you will figure out how much you can still eat yet maintain same weight. It takes a bit of trial and error. It took me a few months to figure mine out - I'm 5ft 2"/133lbs approx/very active/maintain on 2100-2300 cals. The lighter/smaller you are the lower your TDEE. The great thing is, if we are active we can have a higher TDEE.

this was SUCH a good explanation of how to figure it out!! saving this, ty!! (: