ashleybent1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Nice, easy recipe!

If you want a little more "wow", rather than just using diced green chiles (which I assume were the mild Anaheim variety), you could try adding dried peppers with a smoky flavor like Chipotle (dried, smoked jalapenos) or with a richer flavor, like Ancho or Pasilla.

A lot of stores now carry roasted corn kernels in their frozen food section - these would also add a little more of a flavor boost than canned corn.

Finally, I bet some diced avocado might be tasty to add on top when you serve it.

Great suggestions! I've used chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, which add a nice flavor. And I've added my own chipotles (red jalapenos I grew and smoked) - they do add another layer of depth to the flavor of the dish.

But I can't make it too spicy, because my 3-year-old can't handle too much, and this is her favorite food. She seriously will eat it for lunch and dinner every day until the batch is gone :)

Avocado sounds great - I'll have to try that next time!
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hello Ryan, I made your Spanish rice this weekend. Was really yummy. For my family of two I would suggest halving the recipe. I portioned out in 1 cup and froze the rest! Great job!!
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    Hello Ryan, I made your Spanish rice this weekend. Was really yummy. For my family of two I would suggest halving the recipe. I portioned out in 1 cup and froze the rest! Great job!!

Fantastic, I'm so glad you made it and enjoyed it! :smiley:
  • w117seg
    w117seg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't know about throwing ground beef in a crockpot- and cooking it first just removes the convenience for me. Maybe try substituting chicken, cook on low for 8 hours, and then shred it and add the rice in the last 20 minutes or so?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Looks tasty!
  • rrw21062
    rrw21062 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds great except I have to watch my sodium (max 1500 mg/day). I'll have to find some low sodium substitutes. Thanks for the recipe.
  • Mariahendricks7
    Mariahendricks7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use fresh or frozen, rinse beans, fres tomatoes in blender from canned and cook in water
    as opposed to broth to reduce sodium;
    use tons of seasoning (onion, garlic, paprika, pepper, crushed red pepper, and a little adobo to taste which has salt ), ground turkey browned with taco seasoning or Goya sazon (chk sodium) will healthify it too while providing protein.
    I hate brown rice but will try this way!
  • Sallywilliams67
    Sallywilliams67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This sounds a very filling recipe and will definitely be tryin this at some point I need to loseweight a lot .........and finding new things to eat adds to enjoyment of actually dieting thanks
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Just made this today and I loved it! I don't think it matters what you call it. I call it delicious. I think you could call it Mexican. I'm Mexican and my mom would make something similar when I was a child. In fact, hers had diced potatoes instead of corn so I subbed the same for mine today. Also, I added 100 g of zucchini and used half ground turkey, just because. Then I topped with light sour cream and ton of cilantro. Mua! Delicious and super filling.

Well worth the calories. Thank you for sharing!

I will share my favorite meal that I also feel is well worth the calories (you can leave out the jalapeno for kids and cut down on ginger if you don't love it, but don't leave out the coconut milk! It makes a big difference.)

http://www.endurancemag.com/2014/09/nutrition-vegetable-korma/

• MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    keeping
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, looks really good!
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    Just made this today and I loved it! I don't think it matters what you call it. I call it delicious. I think you could call it Mexican. I'm Mexican and my mom would make something similar when I was a child. In fact, hers had diced potatoes instead of corn so I subbed the same for mine today. Also, I added 100 g of zucchini and used half ground turkey, just because. Then I topped with light sour cream and ton of cilantro. Mua! Delicious and super filling.

Well worth the calories. Thank you for sharing!

I will share my favorite meal that I also feel is well worth the calories (you can leave out the jalapeno for kids and cut down on ginger if you don't love it, but don't leave out the coconut milk! It makes a big difference.)

http://www.endurancemag.com/2014/09/nutrition-vegetable-korma/

Wonderful - thanks for your feedback and for trying it out! I really like your potato & cilantro ideas.
  • aringler36
    aringler36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This looks great!
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    aringler36 wrote: »
    This looks great!

Thanks - give it a try! I've probably eaten it for 100 meals so far. Still not sick of it.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I make baked rice all the time and this recipe would work well! Only change I would make is add 2.5 cups water instead of 2 cups. Spray 13 x9 baking dish with Pam, add rice first, followed by veggies and add liquid last (you will need to heat the water and broth in microwave until very hot). Cover tightly with tinfoil and bake for at least 45 minutes. I start checking the doneness of the rice at 45 minutes, may take longer. You can make this in so many variations depending on seasonings and veggies you add. Great recipe!!!
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Bake at 350 degrees
  • aghack
    aghack Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    RyanTahiti wrote: »
    Just posted my success story here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10237376/

As an addendum, I want to share my favorite recipe. It's #1 because (1) it actually tastes good, (2) it's very efficient / keeps me full for the amount of calories in a serving, (3) it's cheap, and (4) it's practical: easy to make a huge batch, and reheats well.

Ryan's Spanish Rice & Beef

2 cups Brown Rice (dry)
    2 cups (1 can) Beef Broth
    2 cup Water
    2 lb 91% Lean Ground Beef
    2 tbsp Minced Garlic
    1 large Yellow Onion, diced
    1 large Bell Pepper, diced
    1 can Diced Tomatoes
    1 can Tomato Sauce
    2 cans Corn
    4 cups Salsa
    1 tbsp Chili Powder
    2 tsp Seasoning Salt (like Tony Chachere's)
    1 tsp Ground Black Pepper

In a large pot, bring rice, broth, and water to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes.
    While rice is cooking, brown beef in an extra-large pan. When it's halfway done, add garlic, onions, and pepper. Cook till meat is brown.
    Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, salsa, and seasonings. Mix and simmer in the large pot for 15 minutes.

Makes 8 cups. Keeps in fridge for at least a week, and freezes pretty well too.
    Per cup: 223 calories, 6.2g fat, 30.4g carbs (4.7 fiber, 7.9 sugar), 15g protein, 790mg sodium

Tips:
    1. For "supreme" style (aka extra calorie splurge), this tastes fantastic served with melted cheddar cheese on top and corn chips mixed in.
    2. Chorizo: adding it tastes a little better but adds way too many calories
    3. Beans: I thought it would taste better and maybe even go farther, but beans dry it out and don't add anything to the dish.
    4. Diced green chiles: I tried these in the last batch, and they were ok but didn't add as much "wow" factor as I wanted.

I've made this many, many times with lots of variations to refine the recipe as above. If you can improve on it, please let me know!

Want to make this!!!
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    I'm still making weekly batches of this stuff, and still loving it :)