How to schedule workouts with a work schedule?

Options
So i just got a job at an inbound call center it's a large environment where it's fast pace. I will be sitting at a desk taking calls from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and possibly working on the weekends. How do i schedule workout's in? I do Body beast and P90x and have been self-employed for the last 18 months but how do i schedule them? Because i know the last thing i will want to do when i get home is look at my workout set and workout for 45 minutes. Any advice?

Replies

• nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Work out in the morning. That's what I'm trying to do now that I'm back on a set schedule (before I worked a rotating schedule where I would open the school once or twice a week, and finish at 2pm, so working out after school was easier). It will take some time getting used to, since you have to calculate time for shower and breakfast and getting ready, but well worth it. Another benefit I find from working out in the morning? You kind of forget that you've done it, because it's over with. If it's after work, it seems much more looming.

And you'll probably be tired earlier in the evening too, which can only be a good thing if you've had problems with that in the past. :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Experiment with early morning and after work. Personally I prefer afer work-- and even if I'm tired, once I get in to it, I usually find it revives my energy and I'm glad to have done it. Also, I HATE to work out in the morning, but every now and then, I have to because I can't work it in any other way.

Any chance of breaking things up and doing a halvsie on your lunch hour? Even a fast walk around the block would help!
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I work from 7am to 7pm 3 or 4 days a week, I go to the gym at 5 am.
  • majorj0017
    majorj0017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Early morning sounds like your best bet. You get busy when you arrive home and then you're even more tired. Perhaps if you can work out as soon as you get home then do your other things, that may work.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts!! You don't go to work until 9, you've got so much morning time :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do the morning
    I was up at 4:30 this morning
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I work 9-5:30 monday-friday and I make sure to work out at least half an hour a day most days. You can squeeze half an hour in, somewhere. Presumably you also will have scheduled work breaks. I use that time to take walks. On my days off I don't "work out", but I stay active doing things I enjoy.

You can make the time.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    It's an echo, but workout in the morning... or split your workouts. I'm not sure about Body Beast, but you can easily split the P90x workouts and do half in the AM and half in the PM.

Personally, I hate working out in the morning, so maybe think about doing a short "jump start" workout to get you motivated. I pull 4-8-10 minute workouts off youtube or FB and do them in the morning as soon as I get up. They seem to get me energized for my day and make me more motivated to do a longer workout when I get home from work. I don't think I burn many calories in 4-10 minutes, but those quick workouts wake me up and get me thinking about moving and I'm less likely to slack off later.

I also bike to work to force myself to exercise in the morning... I get all my stuff ready the night before, then just get up, get ready and get rolling. Sometimes it feels like I'm still half asleep when I start riding, but that doesn't last and I always feel better at work after I've ridden in. Plus, I have to exercise in the afternoon by biking home or I'll be stuck at work!

Best of luck :-)
    Jen
  • PrincessWarior
    PrincessWarior Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a spliter, bike to work ( total 13k) run at lunch 5-8 k. Dinner in the stove, homework with the kids with weights. Its all about routine and getting use to it. Once you get the hang of it its easy....
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Most of us work 9-5 (some even longer) and find the time to workout. Some do it during lunch, others after work and some before work. I get up at 5 am to get my workout in before work & family.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There are 16 non-working hours in your day. Exercise during one or more of those. If you don't want to exercise after work, do it before work.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Is this really a serious question?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When you get home from work, you take a break for a while. eat dinner and then you get up and get moving.

I work 7am-3:30pm Sunday-Thursday. My job is physically demanding and I am on my feet and moving all day. I average about 14000 steps by the time I get home from work. I have workouts at my dojo Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday from 7-9pm. In 6 years I have missed maybe 5 classes due to illness injury and car problems. It's a commitment.

Do or do not. There is no try.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The OP works a 9 to 5???

I got nuthin
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    The OP works a 9 to 5???

I got nuthin

Too unique of a scenario, I can't come up with any viable solutions.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    cbc72a0141a1ffbdcdad2f74b83d05be.jpg

THERE'S NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people who are busier than you, who still find time to workout. Try before work. Try after work. Try lunch time. Decide which is the least distasteful to you, and do that.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No one who works on a set schedule has ever been able to figure this one out. I mean, who can do ANYTHING with only 16 non-work hours in the day? No one, ever. Not once.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I go after work. I prep my workout clothes the night before and bring them with me. Purposely picked a gym that was on my way home. I make sure my headphone are untangled, my playlist is ready, and have plan what I am going to work on. I get in, get out within a hour! I have a small snack before going to the gym and make dinner when I get home. If you are prepared it is easier to fit into your schedule.
    Be active on the weekends and do stuff you enjoy during the week so it seems more like a hobby than a chore.
    If working out at home doesn't motivate you then stop wasting your time right now. When I make the time to go to the gym I leave the procrastination at the door. Since I already put the effort into getting there I am determined to doing my best.