Never meeting potassium goal??

i just realized that my potassium goal is 3500 and I never come anywhere close to that! I have been really tired lately and having muscle cramps/weakness. Could this be the cause?? Will def try to get more potassium in this week! I've been trying to figure out why I'm so tired lately and hope this could be the fix!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The potassium measures are incomplete as the MFP entries don't all list potassium. The only know if you are deficient is if you have a blood test.

Why not simply add a banana a day? Are your protein numbers good?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Dont think a banana a day is enough.
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Yeah I am usually do really well with protein.

I usually have a banana a day and other sources of potassium like potatoes, fruit, beans, etc
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Why not start taking a daily multivitamin?
    I had leg cramps because I was low in magnesium (something else people are desperately low in).
    Tired could also be low in B vitamins in a multi, or iron, etc.

That's true! I've been taking a calcium supplement to but I'll stArt taking a multivitamin too to increase my iron and other vitamin levels. Thanks for the advice!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Believe it or not, seaweed is a terrific source of both potassium and magnesium not to mention amino acids, vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, iodine and calcium. Now before you say "Ew," or "Yuck," let me just share with you that I am typically not a fan of seaweed. I don't eat seaweed snack-type things. I do, however, like to use it as a seasoning which I sprinkle on food. I like using "granulated kelp seaweed" which comes in an easy to use salt-shaker like bottle (from Maine Coast Sea Vegetables).

http://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32&products_id=81&zenid=ekc8at84or8huqb6md8c8umn03

I also struggle with getting enough magnesium or potassium (not sure which one or both?). Another product I use to help combat leg cramps is "ZipFizz."

http://www.zipfizz.com/

Before I started using ZipFizz, every morning as I was waking up, I would get terrible cramps in both my legs - similar to a charley horse - you know the kind of sudden, intense cramp that brings you fully awake instantly because they are so painful? I use at least one tube of zipfizz every day now and the cramps have noticeably decreased in intensity. I should probably use 2 tubes a day but the stuff is expensive.

Hope this info helps!
  • The FDA doesn't require potassium to be listed in the nutrition facts. It is voluntary, and most often not listed. Most people get plenty.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    If you use labels to record, you may not be getting accurate numbers for your potassium. They don't always include potassium on those things. But most of America doesn't get enough potassium. If you're like most of us, you probably don't get enough.

Google for foods high in potassium. Bananas got a rep for being really high, but there are foods that are higher. Bananas get more credit than they're due there.

Don't take supplements unless your doctor tells you to take them. A multivitamin is generally fine. They purposely keep the potassium low in those. Potassium pills, though, you shouldn't take those without a doctor on board.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

echoing the info already given above, most of the time people are getting more than they realise as it isn't always included on labels or in nutritional info

but yes , be careful when thinking about un-needed suppliments
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited August 2015
    youre probably fine on your potassium levels, but if your concerned milk, tomatoes, potatoes, orange juice are great sources
  • Y_A_F_A
    Y_A_F_A Posts: 11 Member
    As several stated, most people get enough. With that said, if you are deficient you might give low sodium V8 juice a try - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/v8-low-sodium-original-campbells-100-vegetable-juice-227742957

Potassium 900 mg / serving